mechanical vs porcine and exercise

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gail in Ca

I feel like I will never be back to my porcine valve level of exercise. After my mech valve was placed and I recovered I went back to exercise.
But my heart rate goes up so fast and I am not even close to the level of exercise I used to do with the porcine for 11 years. And I am on an ace inhib.
Also , the valve beats more irregularly at times,
much more than I ever noticed with the porcine.
Maybe cause it wasn't as noisy!
Does anyone else think that the mech valve is making a difference like this?
I am so ready to be "back to normal" but it isn't happening and I get to the point of tears sometimes when that darn valve is so noisy at night and I can't get it out of my mind! Ugh!
Sorry, I try to be so positive but lately I am feeling sorry for myself.
Gail

Hi Gail-

Husband Joe has 2 mechanicals ticking in syncopated rhythm, one louder than the other. He tunes his sound machine to ocean waves and sleeps like a baby.

husband went from porcine to mechanical

husband went from porcine to mechanical

I see your post was way back in Aug. I hope to hear from u. David, my husband had 2 pig valves for 18 years (too long really)thats another story. David says he can tell a difference also. His surgery was Oct 13, 2001. He is a little down also. sounds like he is experiencing the same thing. he uses a sound machine and he is a very positive person, but still he is also undergoing an adjustment with the sound and with the "heart feeling beating differently". He is very active but does not excercise. Maybe some of this is temporary? Hope you are doing well!
Sherrie

Hi Gail,

Things will get better. I had trouble sleeping too when I first got my mechanical heart valve. I purchased a wave-sound machine and that helped alot until I got used to it. I don't need it anymore, and sleep very well these days.

It's like the old saying about living next to the railroad tracks, eventually you get used to it, and don't even recognize the sound of the trains passing by.

I still work out strongly. I was a weight lifter for years prior to the surgery, and still go to the gym 5 days a week. I had to change my routine some due to the restraints my doctors put me on. I am not supposed to lift more than 45 lbs, since they do not know what really caused my dissection. They blame it on a congenital connective tissue disorder. I now walk at a 4.4 mph pace for 30 minutes on the treadmill. That gets me 2 miles, when I include the warmup and cool down time. I then lift weights for 30 min, targeting 1 specific muscle group per day. Monday I do chest, Tues-legs, Weds- back, Thurs-shoulders, and Fri-arms. I do high reps with the lower weights and can still maintain my tone, and some of the bulk I had prior to surgery.

I have not noticed any difficulties with my workouts due to my valve. I take Coumadin, and a beta-blocker called Atenolol. The Beta Blocker slows my heart rate and also lowers my blood pressure. Ace Inhibitors only lower your blood pressure. Perhaps I do not experience your side effects due to the Beta Blocker. My resting heart rate is 74, when on the treadmill walking at the 4.4 mph pace, the highest I can get my rate is around 104. That is what beta blockers do.. and yes.. I am working out at an optimal rate. You have to measure your rate differently than the standard method when on a Beta Blocker. The rule is ..Resting rate plus 20 to 30 is taget rate when on a Beta Blocker.

Hope this helps,

Rob

Last edited:
Rob's Rehab

Rob's Rehab

Rob, That was a great rehab dissertation. We should solicit more of them and maybe publish the collection.As has been noted here before when we valve patients show up for our first rehab session everything is geared to the CABG's. In my group there was only one other valve patient. I had to sort of gingerly feel my way and eventually set up my own program. I did get some help from a doctor on the staff of St. Jude. He gave me some confidence telling me about their marathoners, trathaloners, etc. and how well they were doing. Keep up the good work....

Hi Marty,

Thanks for the thumbs up. I used to host a fitness chat room on Prodigy for a few years.

I went to the Vanderbilt Rehabs after my surgery. In fact, I went to both their Cardio and SportsMedicine Rehabs. The response from both of them was that there was nothing new that they could show me regarding my workout routine. The one good thing that I did get was the Bruce Stress Test, and I aced it. That built up my confedence of a successful surgery.

I get alittle envious at times of those working out around me with higher weights, but.. after what I went through, I just am greatful to be alive and able to be in the gym working out period.

I figure the best I can do now is to stay in good shape so that I will be able to face the next sugery, if I should ever need one. The doctors told me that had I not been in such good shape, I never would have survived the emergency surgery I went through last year to repair my dissection and valve.

Isn't it amazing how far medical advancements have taken us. I guess many of us wouldn't be here today without them. We sure have alot to be thankful for this Thanksgiving.

Wishing you continued good heath,

Rob

How did that get here?

How did that get here?

I was surprised to see my post from Aug? How did it appear again?
Anyway, as it goes with AVR surgery, I am doing well now, not depressed as much and have begun using the machines at the club for strength training. I am not as focused on the aerobic queen
stuff. If I start to feel like my heart rate is too high, then I slow down. Not obsessing about it like I was. I was comparing too much with how I was with a pig valve, not thinking about being 12 years older as well as almost dying with the last go round. I think this affects ones recovery time.
In Aug I had also had major bleeding problems (monthly type) and ended up in ER while on vacation in FL. So many things can affect how we feel. After seeing a new internal med doc and a gynecologist about my problem I am now doing better.
Just gotta keep positive!!
Gail

Back