mechanical valve longevity

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markp66

I just realised one of my friends has a mechanical valve. I've know him for a good few years but he obviously decided to say nothing about it. After I told him about my op he mentioned he had the same. What a coincidence!

Anyway, he said that he expects another op in 20-30 years going on what his cardio said after his initial op. I told him that the valve should last forever, 50 years+. At his yearly appointment with his cardio he mentioned this and she also said it would last a lifetime, contradicting what she had said 5 years ago. People who had bileaflet valves 30 years ago still have the same valves now. And of course we have longer histories with previous valve types. Many aspects have changed over the last 30 years, especially surgical technique which greatly reduce leakage around the valves etc in the short and long term. However, she also pointed out that it would last a lifetime without any complications... There are certain complications we can't do anything about, such as pannus formation. However, we can control our INR, substantially lower the risk of infection with care and keep BP, heart rate lower which could put extra pressure on the valves.

He also had his aortic root replaced (as did I) and apparently his cardio also said that many mechanical valves need replacing again with bicuspid valve patients because of late dilation of the aorta. This is a problem in itself but can also cause leaks with the mech valve and other serious issues. I'm extremely glad my surgeon replaced my aortic root at the same time even though it was only mildy dilated. Although it made for a riskier op it far outweighs the risks of doing this later in life. In fact the combination of a dacron graft and mechanical valve are pretty indestructible on paper! I was told that there is more chance of a fib/ arrhythmia with a dacron root due to the heart remodelling itself to fit the new 'set-up'. However, I've been lucky with this and had nothing so far..(only been 7 weeks)

One other last bit of info she gave him was that operation survival, long term outcome were mainly down to comorbidities, not the valve itself, including valve related events.

Anyway, that gave me a nice bit of reassurance which I need every now and again!

I just read a post where one of our members had his valve since 1967, I'm sorry I don't remember his name. Maybe he will see this and chime in for more assurance.
When I read his post I was not aware this procedure was even taking place then, I thought he must be one of the first pioneers (figure of speech).
Thought it was pretty cool .

One other last bit of info she gave him was that operation survival, long term outcome were mainly down to comorbidities, not the valve itself, including valve related events.

Anyway, that gave me a nice bit of reassurance which I need every now and again!

I have had a lot of docs tell me this as well. It is hard to accept in the "early years", but it gets easier as time goes by.....and I am now about 95% sure that something besides my valve will eventurally get me, LOL. IMO, the real value of this forum is to reassure "newbies" that there is a lot of life left after OHS.

Hi mark,

Out of curiosity, how large was your aortic root?

I'm not 100% sure. However, my failed tissue valve needed replacing and my surgeon saw that my root was mildly dilated. This would only get worse over time and he didn't see the point in sorting the valve out and then the root in 10/15/20 years (probably earlier). Up to 50% of biscuspid valve patients have dilated roots. This can be a major cause of reoperations if not sorted out there and then. There are a few benefits of having a mech valve and Dacron root apparently. Long term results are very encouraging. Anyway, all data etc is completely irrelevant really. Everyone is so different and it's hard to know what is right for each person. It makes it twice as hard when practically every surgeon/ cardiologist disagrees with each other on every single aspect of valve surgery.

The longivity of the mechanical valve depends on a lot of factors that you pray never happens for a long time. I have had mine for 10 years and hope for years to come. I had a heart murmur, at birth, is unpredictable. It could come back and cause a complication. But usually that does not happen everyday, medicine has come a long way. My aortic valve was the replaced valve. I am happy with what has happened due to the St Judes valve. I am more aware of medical advances. Hugs for everyone today.

Sounds like we had the very same surgeries. I had part of my aortic artery replaced due to a bulge (am assuming that is the aortic root part) the valve was replaced with a St. Judes Jan 17 will be 7 years since I had it done and everything has gone great. I excercise regularly either on a schwynn airdyne or a treadmill or a cross trainer. I am a weight lifter but use light weights with more reps maintain a healthy lifestyle stay focused on your inr and excercise and you will be amazed at just how well you do.

Mick

If the aortic root was replaced, it's hard to have late dilation of the aorta. Now, it is possible to develop an aneurysm in another part of the aorta with BAV. That's why my surgeon examined the quality of the tissue beyond the root and ascending aorta and found a good portion of my arch was involved and grafted that as well even though it was not enlarged there. He authored this paper which describes the variability in aortic involvement in BAV. http://jtcs.ctsnetjournals.org/cgi/content/full/135/4/901

I would expect most cardiac surgeons who operate on patients with BAV are tuned into this and take care of all the diseased aortic tissue in one operation.

Sorry I'm late posting a comment Re longevity of a MHV, in my case a MAV.

My cardiologist stated on my six mth follow up in Sep 2010, that my MAV will outlive me at age 57. Yup, thats why I went mechanical. If you have concerns, know that carbon is for life.

Secondary or tertiary ailments like endocarditis or severe trauma could give us grief but......a MHV is for life. Notta, zip, zilch replacement of the component will never ever be required.

Latest posts

Back