MD appointment and test schedule post-op?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JaneBerm

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I'm currently 4 weeks post op and was told to make appointments with my GP, Surgeon and Cardiologist upon my release from rehab. When I called for these appointments, I was given dates that were respectfully 3, 4 and 6 weeks out from surgery.

I've already met with my GP and had blood tests that showed my counts were still low, reflecting the iron supplements I continue to take and the blood transfusion I was given post-op. He wants to follow-up in another 2 months. My surgeon cancelled today's scheduled appointment and has rescheduled for tomorrow, after I've gotten a chest x-ray.

Are there any standard tests that the cardiologist normally wants completed before or after that first post-op meeting? When is the first post-op echo completed? Does the surgeon or the cardiologist normally decide when it's safe to begin driving again? Go back to work? Begin Cardiac Rehab? Please help me if I'm missing any other points along the way.

Jane

The timing of these appts. can vary from one doc to another.

My post op echo was at 3 months and again at 20 months.
At 3 weeks I was back in a local hospital for 2 days getting my BP meds adjusted and an INR boost.
Cardio I must have seen at around 5 weeks, then at 1 year and 2 years.
My GP..... well, I saw him alot for the first year or so. And he handled my INR superbly.

My PCP visit was about a month. Surgeon, he saw me several times, starting with about 2-3 weeks. Cardio saw me about 6 months out and I had to insist on a echo. He said the cardio looks at the valve during surgery??? Anyway, good luck w/your visits.

Good question! I had the same concerns.
For me upon my discharge, the hospital scheduled an appt with my Cardio & EKG 3 weeks post-op, appt with my surgeon & chest x-ray 8 weeks post-op (its next week). I made the appt with my GP 3 weeks post-op (useless-I am now looking for a new GP) . My Cardio has schedule a CT scan in june (4 months post-op). The Brigham has signs all over your room that says if you had Mini AV, you can drive at 3 weeks-I did at 4 weeks and just short trips around town. I feel much more confortable about driving now than I did at first.

They suggested appointments similar to yours. My GP essentially looked after the post-op healing, pain management, etc. I never did meet with the surgeon again, but my Cardio sent him info whenever I met him. My Cardio did an echo, monitored my BP, and gave me the go ahead to drive, return to work, etc. These appointments were all pretty routine and uneventful.

Latest posts

Back