magnesium...some questions?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sylviayasgur

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
hi everyone!

i know some of you take magnesium regularly. joey is taking it as well to help with his a-fib. it seems he has had consistent bouts every morning and they disappear later in the day. dr. said it was somthing related to his catecholines (?).

he is taking 400 mg a day and we were just curious if any of you know how long it stays in one's system and how long does it take for it to get into one's system. maybe he should be taking the pills at bedtime or spreading them out during the day (one in the am and one at night)?

anyone have input on this???
thanks so much,
sylvia

Sylvia-
Are you getting sick of hearing from me? I hope not.

I started taking Magnesium supplements about 16 months ago to help with migraine headaches. I really works!
Anyway, I have not had any a-fib and my pre-op bouts of PVCs were really cut down.
So far so good.

I take about 400 mg a day and combined it with a potassium suppplement, except when I was on the K-Dur post-op. Taking some at dinner time really helps with sleep, as well.

There is a guy on here, Perry A, who does a lot of innovative therapies...he might know more.

-Mara

Sylvia
I had arrythmias for nearly 20 years, before they started me on Magnesium. I take MagOx, and I cut it in half. I take 1/2 in the a.m. and one at bedtime, with my other meds. It has done wonders for my rhythm. Fewer PVC's, fewer bouts of SVT, not to mention it seems to have some effect on the "digestive" process. As my Dad the Pharmacist put it, "Duh, Puddin...... where do you think Milk of Magnesia comes from?".

Janie and I should do a Magnesium commercial!!
mindy

Magnesium supplement - Ticktock

Magnesium supplement - Ticktock

Tic,
Do you know if Magnesium has any affect on your bloods P.T. result? There are many times I just PVC all day long and at night I sometimes get bouts of SVT (Cyclical - 2 to 6 months between bouts) and have heard magnesium might be effective treatment.
However, I'm now 2 months between P.T. tests because they have been regular and don't want to mess up my clotting.
Thanks,
Icarus

Icarus
I cannot honestly answer that one, maybe a question for our Coumadin guy. He has his own website. I know that Im on a regular dose, so if it is affecting my Coumadin, my dosing is taking care of that.

Im sorry I dont have a better answer. I cant remember the Pharmacy guys name, maybe someone will jump in here.

TWO MONTHS between PT's?? Is that common out there?? Anyone? I wouldnt do it, even if they would let me. Im not familiar with your history, or where you keep your INR, but with mine at 3.5 most time, Im not going 2 months without testing.

I never went more than 17 days between PT/INR-testing... Two months between sounds excessive to me...

Anyway, regarding magnesium and other minerals, I took extra of everything, potassium was what failed me the most and there are only so many bananas you can have in a day lol!
Although there is seldom any harm in taking supplements you should run it by your doc. I took minerals and suddenly I had a drug interaction on my hands. And everything in moderation helps.

/Jessica :D

2 Months between P.T. - Hooray,I Hope

2 Months between P.T. - Hooray,I Hope

Two Months does seem like a long time, and this will be the first time I've done it. I've been doing this, grudgingly, for two years. At first it was every week, then every 2 weeks, then 3 and then randomly at any of the above. My Doctor has monitored all these tests and it was the Doctor who suggested the 2 month interval. It seems all my tests fall within the Cardiologist recommendation of 2.5 - 3.5. The only time it varies is for a 2 week period coming off Lovinox, then - back to normal.
I've been hoping for the testing to come to this, I'm just so tired of the constant reminder of what is going on with my body. Now that I got my wish, I'm a little nervous about the 2 months and hope I don't chicken out and go in at 5 - 6 weeks.

Icarus

I don't know Icarus?? Joe's (husband) been on Coumadin for 24 years and he never goes longer than 1 month. Coumadin is tricky, it can get out of whack little by little during that time. You wouldn't be able to tell by the symptoms. Safer is always better.

Latest posts

Back