magnesium and coumadin

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bocco

Before my surgery one of my regular supplements was 400mg of magnesium a day. Good for lots of stuff including reducing calcification. I would like to start taking it again but I'm finding conflicting info on line about it's interaction with coumadin. I will be checking with my coumadin clinic but I thought I would see if anyone is currently taking magnesium while on coumadin.

Gary

I have been on 250mg of magnesium once a day for about two years. My PCP recommended I take it to help with the A-fib problem I was experiencing. Amazingly enough, it worked for me and my cardiologist has never said I shouldn't take it because of the coumadin. I've been on coumadin for 37 years, btw.

The only thing I did change on my own was that I started taking the magnesium in the morning with my am batch of pills instead of at night when I take my coumadin. I had read online that it was recommended the magnesium and the coumadin be taken at least two hours of each other.

I took magnesium for several years after surgery, also for a-fib prevention, never saw any interaction with coumadin.

N jean hit the nail on the head. The biggest thing to worry about is that magnesium may affect coumadin uptake, so if you are taking Mg supplements (which is great in many ways since 80% of the population is defficient), then take it at least 2h away from your coumadin dose.

What we do here is we bought some magnsium powder that you add to water, and I just put a bunch of it in the juice container. Although it may not be consistent dosage, I can be sure that everyone is getting some, and that juice is not drunk at the same time as step son takes his coumadin. Makes it easy on everyone and if everyone drinks 2 cups of juice a day, they are gettin their daily dose.

All,

Thanks for the good input. I am going to start the magnesium and my multi vitamin (no vitamin K in it) after my next INR test.

Gary

Take a look at thegymguy's thread about increasing vitamin K intake. Likely your INR has been stable for a while, but recent studies (past 5-10 years) show that high vit K levels actually make it easier to maintain INR levels. It just might take a higher dose. Don't remember your story, but we find that a multivitamin WITH vit K in it actually helps maintain Skyler's INR.

Just to chime in. I take Magnesium in the AM (say 8-9am) and take Coumadin in the PM (at 8-9pm). Also, I take my multivitamin at 8am and 9pm they have 80mcg of Vit. K each. This is in addition to twice a day fish oil and vitamin c ;)

Back