LV = 8.0 How bad is that?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffM

"I'm very concerned about your LV size" said my surgeon, three times during my consultation. Does anyone have any experience or information regarding operative risk and post operative prognosis for someone with that high a number?:eek:

Jeff,
Someone with experience will probably show up, but in the meantime...
This would be a good question to call the surgeon's nurse practitioner about, especially considering the iteration. You might also want to get an opinion from your cardiologist, since your care will revert to the cardiologist about 30 days after surgery. I can see why it got your attention...if you do call, let us know what you find out.

I think you still have a very good chance of a full or nearly full recovery. I had end diastolic LV diameter measurements of up to 84 mm at the time of surgery and was hospitalized with severe heart failure 2 weeks before surgery after 3 very bad weeks... unknowing of my heart/valve condition. I finally went in when my ears went blue and I hadn't been able to sleep at all for 48 hours or so. Not an ideal pre-surgery condition. To make a long story short: here I am 3 years later with a normal or near normal LV size, still I hope (my annual check up should be coming up in a near future), and having been able to show decent performance in cardiovascular stress tests.

I know there are others in this forum who has had a similar experience, one that comes to mind is OldManEmu. Here you can find one of his more recent posts

http://www.valvereplacement.com/forums/showthread.php?p=304567#post304567

That's all for now!

Thanks Debby and TikTak. Debby, my NP is Pam. Is that who you had?

TakTak, I hope to be saying "kippis" soon.

I'm not at all sure what that value is supposed to represent. Do you have the echo report? If not, get it. You'll need it in the future anyhow for your own records.

Jeff,
Some of the enlargement "may" be due to your athleticism. I am assuming your surgery is scheduled soon? I think that you will be amazed at how well you will recover.

Ross...that was my most recent left ventrical size, as of a week ago, expressed as 4.8/8.0, which I assume refers to systolic and diastolic measurements of my left ventricle chamber. Yes, got the recent echo reports.

my estimations

my estimations

My estimations show a very good fractional shortening over 40% (EDD - ESD / EDD = 8.0 - 4.8 / 8.0). The healthy FS usualy pass beyound 35%.That means that maybe your myocardium works very well. Certeinly some mechano-dynamic properties of your ventricle is more important, than simple millimeters. In fact everything depends on your heart-muscle finction. So, it is not bad :) It is also important to look at your Ejection fraction, which usualy works normal above 50%. However it alone is not a marker, since cardios watch the intramyocardial velocities and fibre shortenings due to a M-mode echocardiography/doppler. But... Do the surgery, before the LV begin to get tired of the large volume. :D

Ivo

Wow, this all reads of information overload. I'm not sure what these numbers represent. I assume it has to do with the size of the heart. I can tell you that before/during surgery, mine was near double in size. After surgery, it returned to normal size and played no role in my recovery (that I'm aware).

I am just curious if any of you through your experience were motivated to pursue a career change leaning toward the medical profession? While in Hospital, I watched all levels of the medical profession in awe (orderlies, CNA's, LPN's, RN's, etc.,). The care and compassion (especially from the very young generation - 20 something) was refreshing. I must admit, it takes a calling to do these jobs.

Jeff,
Yes, Pam. But I also met with and talked to Susan and Annette. All are well-informed and helpful.
I'm sorry I hadn't read your other post when I suggested consulting your cardiologist. It must be unnerving to lose that support at this juncture. My cardiologist is Dr Summers, with Cardiac Care Assoc. That practice has a good working relationship with Speir's group. I called Dr Summers with questions a couple of times before my surgery, and SHE got on the phone with Dr Speir and then called me back.

I'm going to attempt to send you an e-mail with other information.

My estimations show a very good fractional shortening over 40% (EDD - ESD / EDD = 8.0 - 4.8 / 8.0). The healthy FS usualy pass beyound 35%.That means that maybe your myocardium works very well. Certeinly some mechano-dynamic properties of your ventricle is more important, than simple millimeters. In fact everything depends on your heart-muscle finction. So, it is not bad :) It is also important to look at your Ejection fraction, which usualy works normal above 50%. However it alone is not a marker, since cardios watch the intramyocardial velocities and fibre shortenings due to a M-mode echocardiography/doppler. But... Do the surgery, before the LV begin to get tired of the large volume. :D

Ivo

Definitely....in fact, September 12th to be exact. I understand what you're saying. Your points support my cardio's decision to wait (up to a point) I guess, because he was focused on the total picture, not any just one or two measurements. On the other hand, when I complained a few months ago that I was occasionally getting some brief Afib like symptoms from 110% cycling efforts, he should have made the surgery recommendation. So, here I am and I've heard some very encouraging comments from quite a few people in the forum. Thanks for yours!

Latest posts

Back