Life style changes

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

richk

Just found this great site today. I have mitral valve reguritation and will under go valve repair/preplacement in the next few weeks. Because of my age, 48, cardiologist and surgeon have recommended a mechanical valve if repairs don't work. That started me researching coumadin and changes related diet and lifestyle that I will have to make.

Although most of my work is behind a desk, a computer and at meetings, its the other things I do that worry me about the impact of having to take coumadin. I do lots of home projects where I do get the bruises, cuts, etc. from doing minor construction and remodeling. Of bigger concern, and I've found little positive information about this, is how being on coumadin will affect my ability to keep saiing, specifically out on the ocean. Just normal sailing on the river or bay you get bumped and bruised from moving about and working the boat. The anecdotal information I've found seems to indicate most captains would rather not take on the risk of crew on coumadin.

I'd appreciate anyone who might have information about sailing or minor construction and living with coumadin and a mechanical valve.

Thanks,
rich

Welcome aboard Rich

Coumadin is not a big deal. You can do just about anything you normally would. If it involves getting cut, you'll bleed longer, but as long as it's not a cut that requires stitches, you should be able to control the bleeding. It takes more time, that's all.

Do you already bruise easily or are you a bleeder in general?

Most everything you do will require an awareness and some common sense, but nothing extraordinary. For your duties as Bob Villa, you may want to get some kevlar gloves and sleeves. You can check that out here. All in all, just be careful and you won't have any big problems. ;)
Be sure to check Al Lodwicks site out at www.warfarinfo.com Most all coumadin/warfarin answers can be found there.

Last edited:
Hi Rich-

Welcome to the site. It's a great place to come for friendship and information as you approach your surgical date. What is the date anyway. We'll put it on the calendar so we can keep tabs on you.

My husband has been on Coumadin for 25 years, and it's really no big deal. The secret is to go and get tested when they tell you, and take your dosages as you were told to do, and make sure you have a person monitoring you who knows their stuff about Coumadin.

I think that most everyone will tell you there was no big change in their lifestyle.

There are lots of scare stories out there about Coumadin. They're old wives tales. I don't know how that med got such a bad rap. It's probably from people who don't take it. As Ross suggested, go to warfarinfo.com and read there and then come back here and read a lot of posts here.

I hope we see you here often.

Wishing you all the best.

hi rich

i am currently on coumdin and will stop taking it next week. i have been on it since dec. 31st. it is not a long time but i want to give you my small experience with it. after my surgery i had some problems with nose bleeds. i thought it was the coumdin but i was told that it may have been blood pressure related. it was hard to stop the bleeding and i remember that it took almost 2 hours to stop the bleeding one more. that lasted for a couple of weeks. two weeks ago i developed a kidney stone while on vacation. i had alot of blood in my urine. it lasted five days and i it seemed that my urine would never be normal again.

the coumdin did not cause my bloody noses nor my kidney stones!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what the coumdin did was make these condtions seem worse then they were. when people see blood they get scared, it makes the situation worse.

getting my inr checked and adjusting my levels was not difficult. i chose a tissue valve becuase i didn't want to be on coumdin for life. that is a personal choice. my downside is that i must have the surgery again one day. before my first surgery this was a major concern for me but after being six weeks post op i can honestly say that i do not fear another surgery down the road. i just hope it doesn't happen again for another twenty years.

i fogot to mention that i installed a floor in my mom's kitchen four weeks post op. i cut my hand twice. it bleed for a few minutes and then eventually stopped so i am sure working around your house doing construction work will not be a problem while on coumdin. i do recommend that you don't go replacing shingles on your roof. a bad fall on your head could give you lots of problems relating to clotting in the brain. my understanding is the biggest fear with coumdin ( from my doc) is head injuries and bleeding in the brain. most importantly use common sense.

good luck

rich

I haven't really haven't had to modify my lifestyle or activities since being on Coumadin.
I like to work on my car and am always busting my knuckles, but haven't noticed that I bruise or bleed anymore than I did before.

When I first got home from the hospital, I used an electric shaver, but about six months ago I went back to using a razor again. I've nicked myself a couple of times, but again, I don't seem to bleed much worse than I did in my pre-Coumadin days.

I suppose I am a little more careful about what I do, but the bottom line is that I still do pretty much what I always did.

I have thought about getting a pair of the new mechanics' gloves for working on my car, but mostly because they're "cool" not because of my Coumadin.

Mark

I like to work on my car and am always busting my knuckles.
I'm wondering if it's at all possible not to draw blood when working on a car. I have yet not to bleed from working on them. Then when the kids want to borrow it, I look at them and say no, my blood is into fixing that car. If you want to drive something, go put some blood in one of your own! :D

I ride horses, another hobby that results in a lot of bumps and bruises. I haven't had any bigger problem that way than before I was on Coumadin. The first time I was stepped on I thought, "well, here's the test". I treated as I normally would -got that foot in some ice water fast- and the resulting bruise wasn't as bad as I thought it would have been even without blood thinners. I really haven't adjusted my activities at all. I ride horses and snowmobiles and do a variety of chores around the home place.
I've tried to convince the hubby that the really dangerous activity is housework and that I really should be protected from that. So far he's not convinced.

What a mixture of topics !

What a mixture of topics !

OK - I'm a sailor, whitewater kayaker, avid woodworker, and a lot of other crazy stuff. Re sailing, the biggest constraint might be making sure your ship has the power source to run your ProTime machine if you do a long cruise. I typically liked to sail only when the storm warning flags were flying. Sharks are going to get you before the bruise does. You'll cause a few more bruises in the woodshop, but us cabinetmakers need to be a little more careful anyway. My biggest problem has been getting motivated to do those things post diagnosis. Life is short-eat dessert first. Chris

Ross...

Ross...

Busted Knuckles = putting fat hands with short fingers in small dark places and trying to turn a wrench that I can't see...

Mark

thanks for the replys/support

thanks for the replys/support

Sorry to have taken so long to reply. Had a cardiac catherdization procedure on Tuesday. Add the 24+ inches of snow that fell here this past weekend to getting up at 4AM to get to the hospital, its been a tiring week so far.

Good news is that cath went off without any problems and I won't need any by pass work along with the mitral valve operation. Doc didn't find any twinkies or eclairs plugging up the heart arteries. Got to watch the entire procedure on the monitor with the doc which was neat. Much like watching one of those medical shows on the Health Channel.

Still a bit sore where doctor poked holes for the catheters, but going back to work tomorrow.

I'm still waiting to hear back from surgeon's office for surgery date. Only real prep left is to finish cleaning off some things from my desk at work and to put two pints of blood in the bank. Think op should happen in about 3 weeks or so.

Have sacrifice plenty of knuckles and skin to engines over the years as a power plant mechanic in the Army. Sailing is a new passion. I want to make sure that going out with a boat of novice young people that I'm not putting them at risk by being over confident about physical liabilities.

Thanks again for the support and emails.

Latest posts

Back