Life insurance anyone????!!!!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coryp

Hi All,
I hope you are well.

Can you please let me know if anyone has been successful obtaining life insurance since surgery? If yes please give me details if possible, if not and you feel like letting me know the reasons behind it I would appreciate you sharing your experience.

I know this maybe a redundant question BUT things in the world keep changing and we should continue to share our most updated experiences.

Thank you

Cory & Bita

I had one insurance company agree to increase my life insurance a long time after my request. I just guess they were doing a little research on me?? I don't know.
Anyway, I was surprised any insurance company would turn me down, after all I was better than new right?

I have tried many times since 1999 and no deal. Period. I hope someone will tell us different.

I have been able to acquire some as a spouse of someone that works for a large company as part of her benefits package, but its a small amount.

Sorry - no luck here for private policies. I work for a company that is large enough not to have to answer questions so I have $350K through them. If I ever leave them, I am not sure what will happen.

I had a continuation policy for awhile after I left another large company but it got very expensive.

Outside of the above, the only option is those $10 or $15K guaranteed coverage policies but those wouldn't cover much.

I was last turned down about 5 years ago and haven't tried since.

I have 50000.00 on me and 25000.00 on my husband(the patient) through my work. He has 10000.00 through his work. We get to keep it at the same price we are paying now when we retire next year. Luckily our home is paid for and we don't have anyone to support except ourselves and my mom.

I had a pacer/defibulater put in May 5, 2006 and can't get life insurance. But I also had two open hears surgeries in 1972 and 1978 and was able to get life insurance up until I got the pacemaker in 2006.

Some of the lower value term policies ask very few medical questions. I've often wondered how many of those one person could accumulate...

It is tougher to get life insurance after major heart surgery. Here are a few ways to get, or continue, life insurance.

1. If you leave your employer, for any reason, you have the right to "convert" your group term life policy to a "personal" permanent policy. I have done this a couple of times. I have continued one of these policies into retirement and the cash value buildup is now paying much of the premium, making the policy very affordable.

2. Many companies offer voluntary employee/spouse/children coverage, either "term" or "permanent" plans. These plans are "portable" and "permanent" plans may be continued without loss of benefit and at the same cost if you leave that employer. Some "term" plans may be continued or may be converted to "permanent" if you leave the employer.

3. Look for "guarantee issue" plans offered thru fraternal or organizations (AARP etc). These normally are in smaller benefit amounts, but you can acquire them from serveral insurance companies. Be carefull that the coverage is "life insurance" and NOT "accidental death insurance" only.

4. Ask your agent about "special risk" policies. There are insurance companies that specialize in insuring special classes of risk. These will carry an additional premium to compensate for the added risk.

exclusion

exclusion

is it possible to get a life insurance policy where a specific cause of death is excluded? i.e. one that covers you from death from all causes except heart disease

Latest posts

Back