Lies that spread around the Internet.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christina

Dear Friends,

I posted a thread the other day about Nostradamus and his predictions. I had received it from a good friend through e-mail and passed it on to all of you and others on my e-mail list. Nostradamus was not even around in 1654. He died in 1566.
I did not think about checking it out first, and to make sure that what I read was the truth. Now I know that what I read is a big fat lie.
I want to apologize to all of you for passing something on that was a lie.
I did not mean to increase anyone fears by spreading untrue predictions and prophecies.

Christina

I've been taken in by those things, too, Christina. There actually are a couple of good sites on the internet (I don't remember the addresses, but someone might) devoted solely to unmasking internet hoaxes. I once before checked them when a particularly shocking morsel came around and -- yup -- they had it checked out and doped out.

Peter

Be not concerned Christina...

Be not concerned Christina...

I got your mail and forwarded it to 26 others including my local Presbyterian Minister. He promptly replied to tell me that there had been an indepth analysis on Nostradamus and this prophecy on our local radio station and it had been declared a hoax.

The Irish are famous the world over for telling 'yarns' (stories of a dubious nature) so my reply was:

'Sure begorrah it sounded good at the time.'

Just another case of the 'fiction' being better than the 'fact.'

Thanks, Nancy! A real resource. I just checked it and -- lo and behold -- between the time you were there and when I arrived the "Nostradamus (World Trade Center) Hoax" had gone up.

Here is the text:

The Nostradamus (World Trade Center) Hoax
This hoax presents a nonexistent Nostradamus prediction. Here's the most common version of this hoax:

Nostradamus' prediction on WW3:

"In the year of the new century and nine months,
From the sky will come a great King of Terror...
The sky will burn at forty-five degrees.
Fire approaches the great new city..."
"In the city of york there will be a great collapse,
2 twin brothers torn apart by chaos
while the fortress falls the great leader will succumb
third big war will begin when the big city is burning"

- NOSTRADAMUS

He said this will be bigger than the previous two.
2001 is the first year of the new century and this is the
9th month. New York is located at the 41st degree Latitude.

The above prediction is fabricated and was never made by Nostradamus.

Like many 'danger warning' type hoaxes, this contains just enough elements of truth to confuse a few people. In this case it makes the above prediction sound like it could be legitimate. Thanks to one of our readers (Aaron Queenan) for pointing out that the hoax contains two lines adapted from actual quatrains written by Nostradamus but applying to completely different centuries. The first line is loosely based on the text 'The year 1999, seventh month, From the sky will come a great King of Terror.' To bring back to life the great King of the Mongols...' and the following line is based on a quatrain applying to a completely different century that reads 'At forty-five degrees, the sky will burn, Fire approaches the great new city, Immediately a huge, scattered flame leaps up When they want to have verification from the Norman'

Further Versions
There are a number of variations on this hoax. A common variant of this hoax reads:
In the City of God there will be a great thunder, two brothers
torn apart by Chaos, while the fortress endures, the great
leader will succumb. The third big war will begin when the big
city is burning"

-Nostradamus 1654.

On the day of the 9 month that two metal birds would crash into
two tall statues, in the new city, and the world will end soon
after

As always, we strongly encourage you to check out any such warnings before passing them on.

Peter

I checked it last night, maybe I didn't pay enough attention, but they're usually pretty up to date. Glad it was on there.

Latest posts

Back