Latest Update

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
N

NashvilleDave

Hi everyone!

My apologies for not writing back sooner. I ran into some MAJOR complications and had to be admitted to the hospital for emergency surgery. When I was released on 8/26, I was doing okay. However, by the weekend, I was getting very weak. I even passed out the first time they tried to regulate my coumadin. Not fun. I went to the emergency room Saturday (8/31), complaining that I couldn't stand up without wanting to pass out. I also didn't eat for 4 days. I couldn't sleep. I had terrible diaherria too. I was also very jaundice looking. Can you believe the idiot doctor on call would not admit me? He said that it was probably a reaction to the Indocin (anti inflamitory med) and stop taking it. So, I went home. I literally had to crawl up the stairs to get into the lazyboy chair. So, I drank about 2 ensure shakes. When I tried to swallow pills, I started to get the dry heaves (that was literally a living hell). I have never felt so much pain in my life. I kept getting hot, then cold. So, we called the surgeon on call 3 times. Finally, they said, come in Tuesday and we will check you out. Well, Monday night (labor day) came around 10pm, and my wife and father forced me to go to the Emergency room again. I literally couldn't breathe. I really thought I was going to die. I was halucinating really bad from the pain. This time, I was admitted. I had so many doctors around me. I guess they didn't want to explain to someone in court how they didn't admit a 32 year old patient who just had open heart surgery the prior week, and now is dead. Anyway, through numerous tests, they determined that I had developed a lot of fluid around my heart. They did an emergency surgery and drained 1 1/2 quarts of fluid off my heart. I literally felt like a new person the next day! So, I wound up staying another 5 days in the hospital. I was released last Friday. I now feel great. I walk a lot. I even have my appetite back too! I am watching to make sure that I don't gain my weight back. I lost 27 lbs since the surgery. I was retaining ALOT of fluid before and after the surgery. I am even getting my treadmill delivered today. I will start rehab, after my initial follow up visit with the surgeon.

So, that's my story. Only problem I am having now, besides the ANNOYING ticking, is the coumadin regulation. I volunteered to be a tester of those machines that use the finger prick instead of the blood drawing. The coumadin testing place is doing both on me. So far, the finger prick machine shows a .6 higher difference than the regular blood drawing. We'll see how that goes.

Anyway, thanks again to everyone for your prayers and support. This has not been a fun ride!

P.S. I am going back to work next Tuesday for 1/2 days for the 1st week! I can't wait. I am going stir crazy at home!

Take care

Dave

Hi Dave-

I'm so sorry that you had these problems. I am even more sorry that you got such poor medical care at first. Those kinds of things have made me very proactive with Joe's care. Heart valve patients CANNOT wait around to see if this or that will go away. Insist, make your wife insist and your father also that you get immediate care for anything out of the ordinary. Know your medical condition by heart, and make sure your caretaker knows it even more, because you might be "out of it".

You are not an ordinary patient anymore. Please, please everyone reading this remember it. If anyone in the medical field is reading it, you remember also.

We can all make mistakes, but being "dunderheaded" is ridiculous and could have cost you your life.

Hey Dave-
I'm sorry you had to go through all that trouble after your surgery. I am glad to hear that you are doing a lot better and getting around now. It's great that you have your appetite back now too. Make sure when you go back to work you take it easy to start out, don't overdue it. I would still like to talk to you about your surgery a little more when you get going. I should be having my surgery within the next couple months. I'm still bouncing back and fourth between st. thomas and vanderbilt. Once again I'm really glad to hear that you are doing a lot better and I hope you continue to go up hill. Brian

Call Me

Call Me

Brian,

Please feel free to call me. My email is [email protected]. Give me your email, and I will respond with my phone #. I HIGHLY recommend St. Thomas over Vanderbilt.

Dave-
That's not what I wanted to hear!!! I was going with st. thomas first but the dr I saw does not do the rp, and the cardiologist did not recommend it either. So I found a dr at vanderbilt that has done the rp 100+ times since 1990 with a success rate of 100%. But i'm not totally sold yet on the rp so your info is greatly appreciated. You can reach me at [email protected] or [email protected] Thanks, brian

Hi Dave, I'm so sorry to hear about all the problems you had and that you were feeling so horrible, I too was back in the emergency room a week after surgery because of pain meds and pericarditis, They did not admit me either even though I thought they should. I was also not eating and had terrible diarrhea. I bounced back after they changed my pain meds and I also started drinking an Ensure kind of drink, Called Boost Plus. It was a big help but you have to remember it does have Vitamin K in it. Make sure you mention it to your coumadin regulators if you've been drinking them. But on the up side, I'm glad to hear you're feeling better and returning to work. Take it easy and keep us updated on how your doing. I'll be thinking about you! God Bless!

Dave - Good to hear you are back from that bad experience. However, sometimes a bad experience like that can help you next time. I hope I am never in your position, but will try to remember this story. Thanks.

Dave,

Im glad to hear you are doing better now - i love to hear anyone is doing good.

I am happy you are ready to go back to work, i am getting a bit stir crazy too, i came home from my Ross Procedure this past labor day. I am going in to the hospital tommorow (Monday) to get shocked out of A-Fib. I hope it works for good so i can think about going back to work and the normal routine also.

Best of luck to you, the worst is over!

Bob M.

Dave

Dave

so sorry to hear about the problems you had ..but very very pleased to see you home and back up on your feet . Keep it that way from now on young man . Did I read right in that you plan to go back to work next week ?....is this a record ?
Take care
Scottie

Latest posts

Back