Ladies only PLEASE!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Karen:

This topic has been subject of many posts over the years. It was easier to do searches at VR's former web format because you could specify the forum to search. However, just now I found a number of posts about this.

Coumadin's maker advises seeking medical attention if you have heavier than usual periods while on Coumadin (warfarin).

from www.Coumadin.com:

• Call your healthcare provider right away if you get any of the following signs
or symptoms of bleeding problems:
• pain, swelling, or discomfort
• headaches, dizziness, or weakness
• unusual bruising (bruises that develop without known cause or grow in size)
• nosebleeds
• bleeding gums
• bleeding from cuts takes a long time to stop
• menstrual bleeding or vaginal bleeding that is heavier than normal
• pink or brown urine
• red or black stools
• coughing up blood
• vomiting blood or material that looks like coffee grounds
• Many other medicines, including prescription and non-prescription

The Cleveland Clinic has some good information too:

http://my.clevelandclinic.org/drugs/coumadin/hic_understanding_coumadin.aspx

Irregardless of warfarin, any woman who is having heavier, longer or more frequent periods than usual should see her doctor. If she's on warfarin, it would be prudent to rule out other reasons, rather than to assume it's due to warfarin. My great-grandmother died from some type of uterine cancer, from my grandmother's description, at a fairly early age. I was told that one of the symptoms was continued bleeding and then cancer was diagnosed. My grandmother was born in 1902 and wasn't even a teen-ager when her mother died.

Back