Ladies--bra, underwear in hospital??

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didnt wear a bra at all...when I got home I had a very soft slip-on bralette...I was also quite skinny at the time so not much to support there... I didn't get to wear knickers until about day 7 or 8 when my cath was removed...at the same time I was allowed to shower and was moved to the ward from ICU and could finally wear my own pj's.
The lovely nurse in charge of me in ICU washed my hair for me while I was in the coma so it wasn't all yucky when I eventually woke.
I'm sure you will do fine...there is so much info on here to remind you of everything others have found useful...from lip balm to pads.

I wore knit shorts under my Johnnie for my walks in the halls which they make you do and I did when I was bored as hell.I put on undies as soon as the cath was out after the first shower..I had a wrap around sweat shirt that tied at the waist from Old Navy I wore as a robe and PJ pants. You need the Johnnie on to hold the pacemaker, there is a pocket for it...

Well since it has come up....one of the WORST things to me about the hospital stay was the no shower thing. I begged and begged and then I got mad. I refused to walk the halls until they let me shower. I know they may have their reasons....but I felt so much better once I had a shower and washed my hair. I had to wait until all the tubes were out, and they kept telling me they didn't want me without the monitor on and I couldnt shower with it. So, I stopped walking!:D

I don't recommend it but it worked!

Mileena

I had the most wonderful nurse who had been at the Mayo clinic for 40+ years and always took care of Billy Graham when he went there. She very lovingly bathed me, top to bottom. You would have thought she was handling a newborn baby. I wasn't allowed to get into the actual shower for days since I had my chest tubes in for so long, and in the end, they actually wrapped Saran Wrap around me where the chest tubes were and let me get a proper shower. It was the best shower I've ever had in my whole life!

(I know this is getting off topic here, sorry!)

Kim

I wore the hospital gowns the whole time I was in the hospital. Two when I walked. No bra and wasn't told to wear one. Someone came in to wash me daily until I could shower.

Good luck

OK...I'm getting down to the nitty gritty. I didn't expect to wear a bra in the hospital, but I see some of you did. I tried on a camisole with a shelf bra and also a sport bra and find them difficult to get into....tight and roll up on me! Regular bra? Closure in front or back? (I will have a husband at home who can do back closures if I can't)....and on the bottom? underpants, flannel pajama bottoms? How long do you keep the catheter? Anything else? Thanks in advance. This forum is great!
Pat

I didn't wear a bra in the hospital, and no one mentioned one to me. If would guess that if you needed to wear one (for example, if your doctor thinks you need one) a front-closure would be far preferable because you are lying down on your back so much after surgery.

I was one of the many, many women who started my period right after surgery. (My surgeon says that almost all of his female patients start to bleed after surgery.) Therefore, I was wearing underwear and pads. I don't think they would want you to wear tampons because of the risk of infection.

For the first few days I just wore the hospital gown. Later I wore my stretchy yoga pants. Very easy to move around in and very easy to pull on. On top I wore camis (not the kind with bras) that I could pull up from the floor rather than put on over my head. For something warmer (and more modest) I wore zipped hoodies.

Back