Lack of Exercise / Impact on valve ?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

savysmommy

Hi Everyone,

I have a few questions.. I did pretty well doing my daily walks after surgery. But, since I returned to work about 4 weeks ago I have had a hard time keeping up with my walking. I ussually am able to go about 2 days a week. I am finding it hard to either find time to go, or the energy to go. I have tried running a few times too. Still cant go far at all without pooping out.

My question is if I continue to not do my walks/run/exercise could this cause problems for my new valve/heart? I know that exercise is good for you and all that.. but, I am just worried that if I dont keep up with it that I could develop complications. Is that possible at all?

This might be totally out there - I know. But, I cant help to be a little paranoid these days. :confused:

I have noticed palpatations again. I didnt have them the first several weeks post surgery. Now, they are back again. I am also getting a little lightheaded lately. I am worried that it could have something to do with my lack of exercise.

Any input would be greatly apreciated.

Thanks,
Shannon

Shannon,
Maybe the reason why you're "pooping out" after walking/exercising is because something is going on to cause you to be more tired. Being light-headed and having palpitations doesn't sound quite right. Maybe you're anemic? I would talk to my cardiologist about it and see what his thoughts are. Have you had an echo since your surgery?
Mary

Mary said:
Shannon,
Maybe the reason why you're "pooping out" after walking/exercising is because something is going on to cause you to be more tired. Being light-headed and having palpitations doesn't sound quite right. Maybe you're anemic? I would talk to my cardiologist about it and see what his thoughts are. Have you had an echo since your surgery?
Mary

Anemia? Good suggestion Mary. 14 years (almost) post op, I find that I have increased palpitations when I'm anemic (or getting a bug).

Are the palpitations followed by the light-headedness, or vice versa. I've found that if I have a sudden spurt of palpitations, my adrenaline kicks in and I get a little light-headed because the palps have taken me by surprise.

You should definately contact your dr. about this.

Lack of exercise should not negatively impact your valve, but your valve will behave better if your heart is getting healthy exercise. 2 years ago I found out that I had a mild aortic leak. Shocked me! I started working out 3 to 4 days a week at Curves and a year later the leak had gone to trivial. My card said it was the exercise strengthening the heart.

But don't push it until you get yourself checked out and get a go-ahead from your card.

I had an echo at about 6 weeks post op I think. Everything looked great. The lightheadedness is totally ramdom. I sit at my desk at work.. and get a fuzzy feeling in my head. Its definitly a different feeling then the lightheadedness I feel like I am going to pass out. I just feel fuzzy.. :confused:

The palpitations are here and there. This morning when I woke up, I was having some while I was still in bed. Then again at work off and on today.

I know I should be affraid to call my cardio.. I just feel pathetic sometimes calling. :eek:

I suppose I could be a little anemic. I have never really had that problem other than the first few days post-op, and slightly while pregnant. Maybe I will see about getting some kind of iron suppliment and see if that makes a difference.

Shannon

Hi Shannon,

I had an aortic valve replacement on June 27, 2002.

I experienced lightheadedness from weeks 6 to 12 post op. Neither my primary doctor nor my cardio were of any help. I went to Emergency on Aug 15, 2002 because I felt I was going to pass out. The emergency doc said all tests were within norms. She did say that the body had undergone severe trauma with the operation and the lightheadedness may just be a reaction.

Apparently you returned to work around the middle of August. To my mind that is rushing it a bit.

I believe regular exercise is good, but you should be able to get the minimum necessary exercise by daily activities like walking from the parking lot to wherever, maybe taking the stairs instead of the elevator (at least for one flight).

Good luck

Tony

savysmommy said:
I know I should be affraid to call my cardio.. I just feel pathetic sometimes calling. :eek:

Take a look at your medical bills - it will give you an intense desire to get your money's worth out of your doctor! ;) :D ;) :D

Open heart surgery is a major trauma for your body and it will take you some time to completely regain your stamina. You are expending a lot of energy during the day at work. Exercise when you feel like it, but listen to your body and don't push too hard. It can take anywhere from six months to a year to completely recover from the surgery.

One of the things I learned to do after my surgery was to take naps when I was tired.

Don't be afraid to talk with your doctor and let him know how you are feeling - that is what he is there for.

Good luck,
Mark

Return To Exercise

Return To Exercise

MarkU said:
Open heart surgery is a major trauma for your body and it will take you some time to completely regain your stamina. You are expending a lot of energy during the day at work. Exercise when you feel like it, but listen to your body and don't push too hard. It can take anywhere from six months to a year to completely recover from the surgery.

One of the things I learned to do after my surgery was to take naps when I was tired.

Don't be afraid to talk with your doctor and let him know how you are feeling - that is what he is there for.

Good luck,
Mark

I won't repeat anything because I think you got some great advice here. LLJ says it best - returning to exercise/normal activity after OHS is like coming back from being the most sedentary couch potatoe on the planet. I think at some point, we are going to have put together a little document that has guidelines about exercise after valve replacement, with all the appropriate caveats etc. to listen to your doctor, your physiologist. But I had a brainstorm thinking that we have a good collection here - people who are athletic awaiting surgery, people who were athletic before surgery and trying to regain/surpass their prior level of athletic accomplishment, and people who became athletic after OHS - something for everybody!

Here is a couple of things that might help you. The first is a plan where you can slowly increase your walking from 15 minutes a day to 60 minutes a day. The second is a plan to learn how to run safely over 10 weeks. Treat each plan as a set of rough guidelines that you can adapt to your own personal situation. Overall though, I agree with everybody else - you are just a bit tired from readusting/reacclimating to life.

Walk Plan - http://www.thewalkingsite.com/12week.html

Running Plan - http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,5033,s6-51-184-0-2201,00.html

The only other thing is that in my case, I had problems sleeping the night through (this seems to be going away now as I get to the 4 month mark) and I built up a sleep deficit that contributed to fatigue. Good Luck!

So true about regaining stamina.. I was just thinking the other day, how come I am still so exhausted on weekends? Every weekend I end up taking a 2-3 hour nap both days! If time allowed, I would take one during the work week too. :eek:

I havent been real active in a long time.. (pre-surgery) So, I figured its going to take longer anyway to get back into things..

I had nightmares last night that I had to have my new valve replaced already and I kept waking up during surgery!!! :eek:

Anyway, thanks everyone for all your feedback.

I am going to start documenting the lightheaded episodes, palpitations etc. Then, call my doc..

Nearly four years out I still get fuzzy/light headedness from time to time. I also get small points of light that shoot from one side to the other, or a large flashing object that moves from one side of my vision to the other. I was really worried about it and talked to my doctor who sent me over to an eye surgeon who took a look at everything back there, and said it was all good, and that perhaps there was a bit of fluid left in the back of my eyes from surgery.

I'm not a doctor, but I don't think lack of exercise is going to affect the valve. However lack of exercise in general is not healthy and can cause all sorts of complications, the biggest one I forsee being a drop in your immune system. Since we're all exceptionally privy to infection, it's good to do everything in your power to keep your immune system up and to be healthy. Maybe revert back to shorter time until you feel comfortable with longer distances, and tell your doc everything.

I climbed Pike's Peak several months after my surgery with a St Judes' rep and all the hoopla you could imagine. Got a centerfold in the 1997 St Jude report to shareholders! I was a highly motivated type A professional soldier with extreme fitness as part of my duty description. Really went to town on the fitness piece post surgery in order to get myself back into shape(I was really searching for something else...have to leave that subject for a psych post someday). I have learned that I never will be in my pre-surgery shape, it just is not there any longer. That surgery and the illness associated with it was a significent emotyional event for my body-I have learned that I was trying to regain all of what I percoeved to have "lost" due to the illness/AVR. Now I am more mature and able to accept realistic limitations and the reality of my fitness state. I have never been happier!

I'm going to be two years post-op on the eighth of this month; and I'm so glad it's not two years ago! Several months ago I became aware of more and more arrythmia-type episodes, palpitations, or whatever. I hopped back on my exercise bicycle, an hour every other day, and they're gone again. I'm sure glad about that :) !

Valves and Exercise

Valves and Exercise

Don't wait to call your cardiologist! I had my OHS 21 years ago.I noticed amazing atrophy of my muscles in the week I was in the hospital. I also had, and continue to have migraine auras, usually when I feel overwhelmed. I get palpitations whenever I'm really overtired, or my potasium levels get low. I was lucky to have a girlfriend that got me focused on getting into shape. I was out of work for three months, but was running and skiing by the time I went back. I have a mechanical valve, and believe that regular walks decrease the wear on it, as the exercise lowers my overall heart rate. These days I work two full time jobs, one for income, and the other volunteer care for an Alzhiemers patient. I'm not getting enough exercise, and really feel it. I have much less energy, and take naps whenever I can! P.S. If you have any misgivings about your care/ attention from providers move on! Good ones are hard to come by, but they are out there. Brian

Latest posts

Back