Knots in back/shoulders

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TP12022015

Has anyone dealt with knots in the back/shoulder area? I am 5 weeks post AVR and the worst pain yet has been from this knot by my left shoulder blade. Anyone have any success getting relief?

My surgery was almost a year ago now, but I do seem to remember a period where my back, shoulders and neck were KILLING me. Usually I would recommend yoga but since your sternum is still healing, that probably wouldn't be the best of ideas. (Once it's healed though, yoga/stretching is awesome for this. And if you have a bathtub, once you're stable and able, a bath would do wonders as well.)

In the meantime, applying a heating pad or something of that nature should help (just don't make it too hot!). Also it might be too early for this but ask your doctor if you can take some regular Tylenol -- I have a mechanical valve and migraines, so I need pain relief now and then but can't take most OTC painkillers because they'll mess with my meds, but two different cardiologists told me I could take Tylenol without any problem. Just be sure to check with your doc first because I didn't start taking any till several months after my surgery.

yep I had that too ... its undoubtedly from not only the surgery (have you seen or read about the positions?) but also from carrying yourself in an unnatural way.

I put up with it for months till I was sure I could go to my chiropracter (whom I trust, unlike many chiros). In the mean time I suggest you book in to get a good massage

best wishes

pellicle;n861663 said:
its undoubtedly from not only the surgery (have you seen or read about the positions?)
Where can we find out what kind of positions they put us in Pellicle ? I've watch videos of the surgery but they only showed the cut and then then work on the heart, not all the things they had to do to actually get access in there. Would be interesting to know more.

Hi

Paleogirl;n861664 said:
Where can we find out what kind of positions they put us in Pellicle ?

I (of course) asked when they were wheeling me in both times, and in the discussion with the anesthesist before. I was given some explanations. Also I got cold and sore even lying on the slab before they took me to la-la-land

I have seen some pictures years ago (which didn't look comfortable for a few hours).

Nothing on the Web recently though.

Ask your surgeon, its a good question IMO

Yes I had Upper back and pain around my shoulder blades, it was a bitch! A simple heating pad really did do wonders to bring relief. I did have to use it quite often for a few weeks even. But eventually things calmed down. Lots of moving bone and muscle around when they spread your chest open. Then combine that with the awkward way you carry yourself because of the pain of using your arms as you normally would and stuff really tightens up in knots!

Thanks for the replies. I am scheduled for a massage on Thursday. I think I will make this a regular thing until I can stretch more and complete activities like yoga. I think the reaction and cause of knots is poor posture and the reaching and even light lifting of items around the house. We are always in that "protect the sternum mode" and it results in knots being formed. Btw - cardiologist office gave me the clearance to have a massage.

pellicle;n861668 said:
Hi

I (of course) asked when they were wheeling me in both times, and in the discussion with the anesthesist before. I was given some explanations. Also I got cold and sore even lying on the slab before they took me to la-la-land

I have seen some pictures years ago (which didn't look comfortable for a few hours).

Nothing on the Web recently though.

Ask your surgeon, its a good question IMO
Thanks Pellicle for the tip - next time I have AVR (long time yet fingers crossed) I will definitley ask the surgeon !

My OHS AVR was just under a month ago, and I've also had a sore neck in the front and back, and upper back/shoulder area pain starting approximately 2-3 weeks ago. I stopped taking narcotics around that time and starting sleeping in my bed rather than a reclining chair, and it seems like the pain became very noticeable at that point. It was so painful at the beginning that I couldn't sleep on my sides (by far the worst pain out of the hospital - who would've thought haha!?)

I haven't done any treatments (chiropractor, icy hot, massages, etc.), but my cardiologist mentioned that this pain is standard and happens to many patients. As of today, the pain is slowly going away naturally, but I still have some pain depending on my posture or activity.

mitchillen;n861749 said:
My OHS AVR was just under a month ago, and I've also had a sore neck in the front and back, and upper back/shoulder area pain starting approximately 2-3 weeks ago. I stopped taking narcotics around that time and starting sleeping in my bed rather than a reclining chair, and it seems like the pain became very noticeable at that point. It was so painful at the beginning that I couldn't sleep on my sides (by far the worst pain out of the hospital - who would've thought haha!?)

I haven't done any treatments (chiropractor, icy hot, massages, etc.), but my cardiologist mentioned that this pain is standard and happens to many patients. As of today, the pain is slowly going away naturally, but I still have some pain depending on my posture or activity.

Myself I would be hesitant to try a chiro, and don't bother with pain relievers or anything like that. You've taken enough meds for a while. If you have one just use a heating pad or hot water bottle for 20 minutes at a time and it really relaxes those sore spots.

OK, back pain is the owrst. It seemed like mine started at surgery, was releived a bit when they took the tubes out, and once I got home it was just really darn uncomfortable, preventing relaxing and resting and sleeping. My Physical terapist gave me some advice, which I heeded, and my back pain was reduced by what felt like 90%. He simply said, "Stand up straight, like you're the president of the USA or the King of England of whatever makes you stand up straight."
Instantly my back felt better. Seriosuly.

In addition, ir eceived a lesson on how heavy my head is, and where the muscles are that hold my head upright. Head = app 17 lbs, like a bowling ball. Muscles holding up head run down the neck, and down to the middle of your back. If your head is not supported, those muscles are working . So....Support your head! Whenever you are reclining/resting/laying/sleeping, make sure your head and neck are supported. Get a travel pillow, wedge a rolled up t-shirt under your neck, a fluffy cat, whatever works. It might take a day or two, but you'll notice a difference. I also took it upon myself to support my arms while I was in my vintage recliner (ie non-puffy fluffy) Once my muscles weren't holding up my neck or my shoulders, I was able to relax and get some really good rest (in small spurts...took about 3 months before I could sleep more than 4 hours at a time).

I had a massage at about 8 weeks, with a LMT that understood heart surgery recovery. It was delightful! Then I rode a roller coaster at about 10 weeks. I LAUGHED in the face of back pain! lol

The massage last week seemed to really work. I agree about the posture, I think I was really protecting my sternum for awhile. Feeling much better this week.

I had pain from the get go, back and neck. In the hospital they gave me a muscle relaxant, a cute PT who prescribed some excercises. They worked, but the PT at Cardiac rehab gave me a whole set of stretch and light workout exercises which I still do today. My neck/shoulder took a long time, few months, to get normal, but the inital set of prescribed exercises hit the "spot". That PT was ordered by my surgeon and since she was for the cardiac ward she probably had experince in my problems.

Yeah I am 4 1/2 weeks post surgery and the pain behind my left shoulder blade is the worst ! I did suffer from this before the surgery ,from a basketball injury, but it was well under control. Whenever I felt it I would just see my chiropractor. He would fix it in one or two visits. Didn't expect it after surgery but knew the feeling right away. It was worse than it had ever been and I still can't see my Chiropractor. I have been exersising more and that helps. Tylenol PM also helps me sleep. My left foot also feels like someone is spueezing it ,but that is getting better too. I feel confident that when my chiropractor can work on me I will be fine. Yoga and exersise always helps to keep my back pain at bay. Good Luck

My wife has suffered with that and other back problems. Most of her relief has been from the Chiropractor.. She tried a lock of things and finally a pain doctor gave her a medicine that helped.

Back