Just had surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well it would be very sad to see wineries go out of business because you've stopped supporting them. Do it for the economy! Heheheh.

I have NO problem helping the economy out! ;)

Ski Girl - I looked up Margaret River - sounds like this wine is spectacular - do you know if they distribute to the states?

Rachel

calcification of surrounding tissue

calcification of surrounding tissue

Did your doctor say anything about sewing the valve to calcified tissue. That is what happened to me and I still have a moderate insufficiency. Just wondered if anyone else has this problem. Had my aortic valve replaced 6 months ago with a tissue valve.
Pat Dunham
[email protected]

Kevin, welcome.

My first memory after my surgery was being propped up on the side of the bed and doing dry heaves from the nausea caused by he anesthesia. Once they got that under control things settled down quite nicely. It seems ages ago yet it's been just under 5 months. I completed 24 sessions of cardio rehab and have continued on my own since then and also added strength training as that helps with stairs and such. I've been pretty fortunate in that I had no coronary disease other than the severely stenotic BAV and as such I've been pretty much released by my cardio (yearly visits) with no real restrictions. I'm also fortunate that I've been removed from all my meds other than a multivitamin and 81mg aspirin so my life is pretty much back to normal other than now exercising 6 days a week.

I didn't get a picture of my valve but the surgeon said it was the worst he'd seen and he's done a lot of surgeries. Maybe I'll see if I can get a copy of it or of the pre-surgery cath.

Rachel - Yep Margs has amazing wines! I think a few of the wineries export to the US (although not the really good smaller ones) but most of them won't even send a bottle over. I'll be back in Arizona in a couple weeks so I'll poke around in the good wine shops - but I think I'll be drinking Californian wines for a couple weeks! Eeeeep . . . .

Thanks Ski Girl, I would love to be able to get to Australia! Someday, it's on my bucket list for sure!

I did also want to welcome Kevin!

Sorry I got excited about the wine....Kevin, aside from the initial nausea and sweating, it sounds like you're doing great! So much better than I did after my surgery because you walked a mile after surgery, my first walk was to my mailbox!

Hope your recovery continues to be smooth,

Rachel

thank you Rachel, yes Im progressing well, Im now 12 days post op and today we visited a huge IKEA store and I walked the whole thing, we had some lunch also, early this morning I walked 500 meters on my treadmill in 10 minutes, Im cooking dinner every night and sleeping about 6 hours a night now, dont get me wrong my chest is still really delicate si I have to be carefull what I do but walking seems easy, actually I just remembered I walked up some stairs at the Library yesterday and I really wore me out, we dont have stairs at home so it was quite a shock....long way to go yet :)

Glad to hear all is a-ok and already at a mile is impressive. I think you will find, like me, this is the best club you never wanted to be a member of. i'm a little over 3 months out from surgery and I feel amazing!!! The past 3-4 weeks have been so good, I really wish I had the surgery years ago. My situation was just discovered 2 months before surgery so at least I didn't have to wait once the problem was discovered. You will be very surprised how good you feel soon. You just got to get over the whole, I just had my chest spit open and heart sliced and sewn into feeling. It takes some time. I wish you all the best.

Kevin: Glad to hear you are progressing well! I love reading about the quick recovery of those who recently had surgery.
I look forward to being on the other side of the mountain. My surgery is 3/18/2013.:thumbup:

Glad to hear all is a-ok and already at a mile is impressive. I think you will find, like me, this is the best club you never wanted to be a member of. i'm a little over 3 months out from surgery and I feel amazing!!! The past 3-4 weeks have been so good, I really wish I had the surgery years ago. My situation was just discovered 2 months before surgery so at least I didn't have to wait once the problem was discovered. You will be very surprised how good you feel soon. You just got to get over the whole, I just had my chest spit open and heart sliced and sewn into feeling. It takes some time. I wish you all the best.

Thanks dpalz, good to hear of you being so well :)
I start my cardio rehab in 3 weeks, Im looking forward to that as although my leg muscles are ok my upper body and arms are not, so looking forward to doing some small weight exercises to regain my strength

Thanks dpalz, good to hear of you being so well :)
I start my cardio rehab in 3 weeks, Im looking forward to that as although my leg muscles are ok my upper body and arms are not, so looking forward to doing some small weight exercises to regain my strength

Kevin: Glad to hear you are progressing well! I love reading about the quick recovery of those who recently had surgery.
I look forward to being on the other side of the mountain. My surgery is 3/18/2013.:thumbup:

Thanks, and I hope (sure it will) all go well for you too............stay positive, thats the secret :)

Look after yourself, take it easy in recovery. Sit up outta bed carefully and start walking :)

Good to hear you're OK

Back