Just got home!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finally, released late this morning They told me I had low iron and my INR was not coming up like it should have. To get my blood thinned in a hurry the Dr. Prescribed 120 mg of lovenox twice a day. Has anyone adjusted INR levels with Lovenox? They gave it to us in a self administering kit and now there may be some big hassle with the insurance co. because they won't cover self-administered IV drugs. I thought no big deal until I found out three days dose costs about $900!
The worst part of my stay had to be the sore throat and tongue that I woke up with. I found out, eventually, that I was on the table for more than 12 hours. Apparently, leaks are not an uncommon problem for aortic grafts. When I woke up, I was begging for some ice to cool off my throat but I could only communicate through sign language with one hand because the other hand was still secured to the bed.
They could give me all kinds of pain meds but nothing for a sore throat and tongue.
Yesterday, I had one of those "down the wrong pipe" coughing spasms :eek:
I thought I was going to blow my whole chest apart! Talk about instant tears!!!

So far, since getting home, I've already had two naps and I get exhausted just walking around the house. While in the hospital, I had trouble sleeping at night. They wouldn't give me any sleeping pills and the pain pills would wear off after about three hours. Then, I'd be awake and asleep in about five minute intervals the rest of the night. So, the best time for sleeping semed to be after breakfast. By then, I was so tired, I could sleep through the "riot" at the nurses station.

I was doing laps aroung the hallways at the hospital but since I've been home I haven't had much energy. What's up with that?!

Glad to hear you're home and functioning. As far as pain relief, the hospital shouldn't have been letting you run out.

Coughing can be bad, no question. A sneeze can make you afraid to look at your staples, though.

It can be an emotional shift to come back home. And the fact that you're responsible for yourself again can wear you out pretty quickly. Still, it's a better place to be.

Good news that you're back and posting.

Best wishes,

Welcome Home 901

Welcome Home 901

You are only 5 days post-op....Did you bring pain meds home with you? If so, remember to take them before they are due...Hopefully, your INR will be up..before your next test...When do they want you to next test? I remember, I was still weak and wore my bathrobe down to local clinic for mine.. :eek: I think it was like 3 days after I was home...I'm sure people looked at me funny..but could have cared less. :D Only had to go to Clinic for about 3 weeks..After that, I got my own hometester.. :) ..Right now, You just need to Nap, nap, nap..Food will still taste Yucky..Try some cold juices...Don't worry too much about walking right now..In a few days..you will probably feel up to going outside for a slow, walk around the yard... Remember..1 day at a time.......Takes a long time for those bones, cells, muscles, to fall back into place.. :) In a week or so..you will start to feel better. :) Let us know if you have any other questions..That's why we are here....Bonnie

Just coming home, traveling even a short distance, riding in a car and getting in and out of it is an exhausting experience. You'll be tired for a while. Just go with the flow. Don't expect too much of yourself right now, do as much activity as you possibly can and keep up with the spirometer and take your pain meds. Walk and rest and sleep when you can. That will be disturbed for a while also. Just part of the whole thing.

You're doing great.

Lovenox is not tested with INR. That's a Coumadin thing. It's there to protect you while the Coumadin level gets therapeutic. It is an anti-coagulant, just not tested the same way. Once your Coumadin level reaches the goal, the Lovenox will stop.

Hi Doug,
Give yourself a chance to recoup from the trip home and the whole "experience". Lots of naps and a little walking around the house in the beginning is normal, especially if you are not sleeping at night. It was at least a week or two before Dick was ready to venture outside to walk, gradually increasing it from a mile to 3 miles over a 6 week period. Can't help you with the Lovenox as Dick has a tissue valve. Dr. Cohn doesn't believe in sending you home with pain meds and thus Dick was left with Tylenol PM, massages and Ben-Guay for the back pain. It worked, but there were a lot of sleepless or sleep disturbed nights. :(

Hmmm, hand tied down? Sounds like you may have been a bad little boy and tried to rip out your breathing tube. :rolleyes: I speak from experience. I vaguely remember getting my hands tied down in CICU because I wanted the tube out NOW.

Even with almost 14 years behind me, I still wince horribly when someone talks about getting a coughing fit so soon after surgery. Wow.

You are probably more tired just from the excitement of getting home. It does take it out of you. Just be good to yourself and remember that for at least the next two weeks you job is to eat, sleep, walk and breath. If you try to do too much, your body will let you know in a very unkind way.

Congrats!

Congrats!

Enjoy! Celebrate- well not too hard!
Hugs to your family for all they are doing.

Jewel

Congratulations on making to "the other side". Everything you describe, is within the relm of normal here. I was there not quite 3 months ago. Now doing much better, walking 2 miles a day, and almost "normal" (what ever that is). Still a ways to go before I can put the whole deal behind me mentally, but you'll see that you'll make seemingly big improvements on a week to week basis. Just don't give up an sit there like a lump. Get some walking exercise (1st few weeks, up the driveway and back was it) and take naps if you need 'em. Do well.

It's going to be all right.

It's going to be all right.

I remember coming to, and realizing the tube was still in my throat. Could only use hand signal to get them to take it out (couldn't open my eyes, couldn't talk, could vaguely use one hand, wasn't even fully awake).

Good thing they don't tell us about things like this beforehand!

Anyway, I bet you are beyond happy to be out of the hospital. I was.

But here's the thing: you're going to be OK. More than OK. Like others have posted, you're on the other side of the mountain now.

Welcome to the beginning of the rest of your life!!

Doug,

Glad you are home and all is well. Don't go out and blow up any fireworks tonight or tomorrow, wait until next year.

Walter

wweir said:
Doug,

Glad you are home and all is well. Don't go out and blow up any fireworks tonight or tomorrow, wait until next year.

Walter

I think the lack of sleep at the hospital is catching up with me. I've ben moving from the family room to the computer to the living room. The living room couch "grabs" me and I have to take a nap.

901 said:
I've ben moving from the family room to the computer to the living room. The living room couch "grabs" me and I have to take a nap.

Is your living room and where the computer is on the same floor? If so, you're lucky.

My computer (er, the one at home, that is ... I'm at my sister's place dogsitting this weekend) is in my bedroom in the basement, while the couch/living room is upstairs. When I got home from my surgery in January 2003, it was too cold in the basement to stay there very long. So, I was up'n'down the stairs a bit too much. But, I survived ;).

Glad to see that you are home ... congratulations!

Cort, "Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip", 31swm/pig valve/pacemaker
'72,6,9/'81,7.hobbies.chdQB = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/
MC Guide = http://www.chevyasylum.com/mcspotter/main.html
"Nothing lasts forever" ... Guns N Roses ... 'November Rain'

So glad to hear you made it home! Same day as me too! I am also exhausted.. I hope this goes away soon. Good luck with your recovery, I hope it goes well! ;)

Shannon

we told you not to sneeze, but maybe we should have added 'don't cough' to the list. The don't sneeze one stays top of t he list.

Welcome home - rest when you want to and rest when you need to. That's the cure.

Latest posts

Back