Johnny Stephens Update

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

mrsgeek

(Update from Kathy Stephens)

Johnny came through the surgery (Tues., 4-16, completed at 12:30 p.m.) with two St Jude valves. Both the aortic and mitral valves were very calcified. The doctor had to scrape away the calcification to get to soft tissue to sew in the valves. They irrigated carefully to remove the flakes (to avoid stoke risk). The valves fit perfectly (there is risk of leakage in a calcified installation); there is no leakage. The doctor was pleased. His blood pressure stablized quickly; the heart job looks fantastic.

He is still on the ventilator. Unfortunately, he had a lot of fluid in the lungs that only started to go down about five hours ago! This results in not enough oxygen to his tissues. I was quite scared about this because they couldn't resolve it for about 18 hours and didn't know what was causing the problem.

Finally, the head doctor came around about six this morning and ordered Nitrics (sp?) oxide (not the stuff you get at the dentist) and two more drugs (including another diruetic) and finally he started turning the corner. Perhaps the radiation (which also caused the heart valve damage) also caused the lung problems--he said that radiation also damages the lymph system drainage from the lungs.

Johnny is looking quite good right now and is rapidly improving. He is uncomfortable with the breathing tube right now, but he has no pain.

He will probably be in the ICU another day or so.

Good news!

Good news!

Kathy,

Thanks for posting so soon. We were wondering how Johnny did yesterday.

I sounds like he came through the surgery pretty well and he is on his way to recovery. We expect to hear that he's off the vent, out of ICU, and starting to walk around in the next 24 - 48 hours.

Try not to be too upset by any bumps in the road to full recovery. We all seem to hit a few, but the staff at the hospital and the fine doctors that he selected will be able to handle whatever develops. The worst part is over.

Congratulations, Johnny.

Ron K

Thanks for the update Kathy. I've been hoping to hear how Johnny's been doing.

I don't remember Johnny mentioning his mitral valve. Was that a surprise? Make sure to have him use the spriometer thingy. That should help along the with diaretic he is probably getting. Tina was my taskmaster making sure I used it every hour. Sure hope he is able to get the breathing tube out soon. They took mine out fairly soon after waking, but I was still kind of out of it.

Tina and I both hope for the best for you and Johnny. Please don't hesitate to let us know if there is anything we can do.

Chris.

Good News!

Good News!

Thank you Kathy for sharing the news of Johnny's ordeal. I would pesonally like to welcome him to the "double-clicker" club. I hope he's up and at 'em soon. Thanks again.

Thanks Kathy for giving us the good news that Johnnie's out of surgery and doing okay considering the circumstances. The breathing tube will come out soon, tell him not to worry. It can be uncomfortable, and he might have a bit of a sore throat afterwards.
Tell him a big "HELLO" from his heart buddies, and so glad to see him on the other side.
Keep that little pillow handy Johnnie boy, ready for the 'EVIL SNEEZE OR COUGH. OUCH!!!;) :D

Christina

Great jon Johnny
Once they yank that breathing tube, you'll feel better. Get up and get walking so you can get home!

YOU MADE IT!
welcome to "the club"

-Mara:D

Thank you so much Kathy for updating us on Johnny. We always breathe a sigh of relief once we know results of one of us who is going through surgery. I am sorry that things were touchy there for awhile, but sounds like its going to be just fine now.

Johnny - welcome to this side of the mountain. You had quite a climb, but you MADE IT and are now safely over the big one. My prayers for your speedy recovery. Guess you'll be getting the slurp job tomorrow (removal of tubes) and from then on you ought to feel better - but sore. Hang on to your pillow - and don't sneeze, or you will finally know what we mean by the EVIL SNEEZE (an expression invented by Janie many moons ago and it stuck). Take it easy - rest - all that stuff they tell you to do. God bless

Hi Kathy-

Glad that Johnny is done with surgery and in healing mode. Sometimes right after surgery there are little bumps in the road, but they get ironed out and he'll be doing fine shortly.

Give him my best and tell him congratulations! He's on his way now.

Thanks for the update Kathy.

Please give Johnny our best.

Warm welcome to the 'top of the mountain'. Sounds like he will be out of ICU tomorrow?

Keep us posted!

hmmm....I also don't remember Johnny mentioning the mitral valve. I am sure it was scary until the corner was turned. I think alot of folks here do have some bumps immediately after the surgery, but, like someone said, they usually have just the right chemicals to straighten them out!

Please give him a big HORRAY! And, tell him to take it very very easy. He will be as weak as a kitten initially, but each day will make gains.

Marybeth

Latest posts

Back