Jennie Harris: Live Update!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

John Cochran

I just got back from visiting Jennie at St. Mary's Hospital in Rochester. I was supposed to have surgery the day after Jennie (both of us were to receive the new SynerGraft aortic homograft) but my surgery was postponed due not having the right sized valve--still waiting for a donor. Anyhow, I decided that since none of Jennie's family came to be with her, I'd take the pleasant 90 mile drive down to the Mayo to see how she is doing. Jennie was pretty surprised to have one of the VR.com folks show up in person, flowers in hand! I am pleased to say Jennie looks just great, and is progressing nicely with a planned release date of Sunday or Monday.

Jennie had a few initial problems in that the pain meds made her nauseous. They've ironed that out, and she's now eating a little, but says food doesn't taste very good. Jennie said that one interesting immediate benefit was that, for about the last year, her hands were always cold, but now they're nice and warm! Her original valve was in much worse shape than anyone thought, so this surgery came at the right time.

Jennie had a full sternotomy, but the Mayo has a technique where the skin incision is smaller than normal. This will allow Jennie to wear a regular blouse or even a tank top without the scar showing.

Jennie says she is a little short of breath at times, but apparently this is normal in the early stages post-op. She also says her heart feels like it is beating quite strongly, but this is also a normal and expected by-product of surgery which goes away after a while. Other than being somewhat sore and not feeling like eating too much, Jennie says she feels good. Her color is wonderful, her spirit strong, and her smile radiant. Jennie really appreciates all the thoughts, prayers and e-mails from the group (nice flowers, Mara!).

My visit to Jennie did ME a lot of good. Knowing I'll be having essentially the same surgery with the same valve is a lot easier after seeing Jennie doing so well. She sends her best regards to all of you.

--John

Last edited:
This is absolutely good news and I think you even chalked up a few points for yourself on this deal. It says alot about you, to take the trip and see her. I can't even imagine trying to go through this type of surgery without family or friends present.

I look forward to hearing and seeing her posting soon.

I don't know what else to say. You've touched my heart by doing what you've done!

I had wanted to do the samething (Visit) when JenniferO and her husband were at Cleveland. Unfortunetly, I didn't have a vehicle that I could trust to get me out of my local area, much less 65 miles from home. I'm still disappointed by that event.

Maybe we VRer's should make a voluntary effort to go see those people who are relatively close when their surgeries are over?

I just think that what you did for Jennie and her not having anyone there, is just splendid!

Last edited:
John-
Thanks for going to see Jennie and for the update.

I am so pleased she is doing so well. I know it must have been very difficult for her to have gone through with the surgery without any family close by. JenniferO and I were just discussing Jennie's bravery at facing this daunting challenge, essentially, alone.

John, I am glad you are feeling better about your surgery.

I too had Jennie's reaction, but it was my feet that had been constantly cold for years before the surgery. I used to have to wear socks to bed, now I don't (but still do, it's a hard habit to break!).

I am with Ross, if we know that someone is close by and we can make it to see them in hospital we should. I got bugged by the Mended Heart folks, and I didn't even know them! Heck, I feel as if we all "know" each other on VR.com! Plus we are just as cool as Mended Hearts, maybe even cooler!

That was so nice of you John. Jennie must have appreciated the effort and your friendship. I'm so glad to hear first hand how she's feeling.

Sounds as if everything is coming along right on target for Jennie.

That was such a nice thing you did John ...thankyou for letting us know how Jennie is doing ...

Jennie ..wishing you a speedy recovery ...so glad everything went okay for you ...take care

PS ..would love to see any of you in Scotland if you'd care to visit ..LOL

Scottie

Hi Scottie. Nice to see this forum is international...heart problems know no boundaries. I do get to Scotand on occassion, and really enjoy the annual Edinburgh Jazz Festival. I'm a descendant of the first Earl of Dundonald, and enjoyed visiting the Dundonald Castle on my last visit. You have a beautiful country with warm wonderful people. If you ever get to this side of the pond, look some of us up!

--John

John - What a special thing to do - even flowers. I know you have brightened her life with your caring. Witout VR, who would've known about her, much less visited. Another thanks to Hank and Michelle. Thank you for going to represent us, as your visit was like a visit from all of us.

So nice to hear she is doing so well. And thanks for letting us know. God bless:)

hi john!
wow! talk about going out of your way for people! that was such a nice thing to do, especially since jennie has no major support system at this time helping her go through this.
she must have been so happy and appreciative.
thank you for letting us know that she is doing nicely and coming along.
please let us know when you finally get your date, ok?
be well, sylvia

Janie,
To be accurate, my "huge heart" is due to calcification of my bicuspid aortic valve, and I'm hoping it gets smaller after my AVR! Then I will no longer visit anyone, just send them cheap postcards stolen from from hotels ;-)

To answer your question about Dundonald Castle: It is on the "left coast" of Scotland about 40 klicks south of Glasgow. The hill it is on has been occupied by humans for over 2000 years!

Once I get my ticker fixed, there are a lot more castles to visit, festivals to attend, and beautiful women to (FOLLOWING COMMENTS DELETED BY JOHN'S WIFE).

--John

"Once I get my ticker fixed, there are a lot more castles to visit, festivals to attend, and beautiful women to (FOLLOWING COMMENTS DELETED BY JOHN'S WIFE)."

Oh Oh, John may be in need of a visitor himself after surgery! :D

God bless you man!

God bless you man!

John,

I am very touched by the personal attention you gave to Jennie. Thank you so much for being there for her.

Isn't it incredible how vr.com breaks down cyberworld barriers and brings it into human personal perspective? If you ever attend a reunion, you'll really know how this feels.

Thanks again for sharing your visit to Jennie with us and best of luck to you on your impending surgery. We'll all be praying for you.

Hi John,

I think that is terrific and thoughtful that you went down to visit Jennie. Sounds like it put your mind at ease about your own up coming surgery, besides giving Jennie a lovely surprise! I'm glad to hear she's doing so good. It would be hard not to have any family around at all to be with you. That was a :cool: thing to do. It is so great to have our VR.com family. We all want to help each other out, however we can. Thank You for letting us know how she is doing. Take care!

Hi John,

How fantastitc that you took the time to visit with Jennie. I am sure she appreciates your thoughtfullness more than you will ever know.

It's difficult to imagine going though the surgery alone. I had complications 3 weeks post op with cardic tamponade. Back to surgery. My husband was still with me, but the remainder of my family had returned to Chicago. After hearing about my return to the hospital, they returned to be by my side. Waiting time inbetween was very depressing. I felt alone. May sound stange. But, at that point I needed support from all angles.

All the best to you Jennie.

Take care

Last edited:
John

John

Hi John ..Thankyou for the nice things you said about Scotland
I live on the North East Coast of Scotland ...north of Inverness....the next time you come over you must let me know . I'm ashamed to admit that I've never been to Dundonald Castle ..is this the Clan seat of the MacDonalds?..If so I would have to admit to you that I was born a Campbell ..although now a Cameron LOL.....WE live beside the Clan Seat of the Sutherland clan ..Dunrobin Castle ..which is lovely ...a real fairy tale castle ...
Also I hate to say it ..but never been to Edinburgh during the Jazz Festival ..we tend to head to folk festivals more ..my son has a Celtic folk band ..he plays Guitar ,Mandolin and sings ..he is also the Pipe Major of his School Pipe band ...
We have relatives in Idaho ...we been over and done some travelling in the MidWest ...we loved your country ..and the people
Take care
Scottie

Hi John,

You've done a great service to us all.

I was concerned about Jennie, especially because she had truly reached out to many of us, both on this site and with personal emails, in the short time she had to prepare for this. At least speaking for myself, I had not felt like I had been able to reciprocate sufficiently due to always being so caught up with all the things in my life that aren't really as important.

I'm sure it was a real boost for her as it was for me when Mike in Florida (being an employee, like myself, at the hospital where I had surgery) managed to maneuver through all of the guards to the ICU and deliver printouts of all the wonderful VR.com postings directed to me. That was a real highpoint in all my experience with this.

By the way, I long had sensitivity to cold before my surgery, requiring the thermostat to always be set at least 10 degrees higher than anyone else, much to my family's chagrin. My surgery also corrected that, and have since been comfortable at the same temperatures as most everyone else. My sleep also improved, as well as a number of other little 'side benefits'. When I came to after the surgery, I immediately could sense the improvement in my heart function, despite all the other short-term detrimental effects I was experiencing. I'm still enjoying these results, even though my new valve is now leaking and some of the old fatigue has returned.

Thanks again, John, and God bless. I'll be closely following reports of your surgery here soon and praying for you all the way.

Monday update for Jennie Harris

Monday update for Jennie Harris

I just received an email from Jennie's friends in Rochester, which I've inserted the main parts below:

"Jennie was expecting to have an echo test today sometime and be released to the Rypstra's bed & breakfast by this afternoon.Asi it turns out Jennie has a low hemoglobin count and her heart rate has remained high since the surgery. The doctors will be putting her on Iron supplements, but they have also decided to give her a blood transfusion today followed be an echo test. She is now told she will be released most likely Tuesday.

Jennie is disappointed about staying one more night in the hospital compared to her luxurious room at the Rypstra Inn. She is also concerned about the transfusion...."

I'll call Jennie today and give you all an update later.

--John

Thanks John

While that isn't all that unusual, I can just imagine she's chomping at the bit to get out of the hospital. Man, do I know that scenario well! ;)

Keep us posted please.

John, that was a kind and selfless act you provided on Jennie's behalf. Are you a member of MENDED HEARTS?

Mended Hearts is a national support organization for Heart (surgery) patients and their families. Our local chapter does in-hospital visits BEFORE and AFTER surgery. Many surgeons don't endorse (or allow) pre-surgery visits, but ours actually encourage these visits and the nurses seek them out for pre-surgery counseling. Most patients are grateful to talk with survivors, just as our VR.com members/readers are.

More information on Mended Hearts can be found on their website,
www.MendedHearts.com

'AL'

Latest posts

Back