Jeff's Home From Surgery (Friday 1-12)

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

jeffreyjl

Well I'm Back!

Sorry, I did not have my wife update my condition but it was hard with all the other updates she had to do. Just got home from Kaiser Hospital at 12:30pm today (Friday). The surgery was successful with no complications (Bovine valve). I was in ICU for 30 hours and then moved to TCU for the rest of my stay. The operation took 3-4 hours but I didn't awaken for about 7-8 hours.

There was discomfort and it was hard to find a comfortable position to sleep during the time. Yes, they did wake you up at all hours to take your blood pressure, blood samples, and other vital signs. I had nausea for the first 3 days, but it eventually went away, although they did try to treat it. They had me walking around for short periods after the 2nd day.

Now I have all these medications to take (heart, pain killers, etc.) for the next 6 weeks. It seems that it's necessay to take the pain killers on a regular basis even if you only feel just a little uncomforable, especially for sleeping. Otherwise, you can't get comfortable because of the incisions.

I think I will take a nap or try to. So that's all for now.

Jeff

Welcome home, Jeff. We all know just how you feel but given a few days you will realize that you are coming around a bit more each day. Just take it easy, be sure to take those pain killers early enough to stave off the coming pain. Sounds like you had a good surgery and are on the mend already. Thanks for checking in. Blessins......

Welcome home. Yes it easier to take the pain pills on a schedule because it is hard to catch up when your hurtin. Take it easy and eat, blow, sleep,eat,blow,sleep.:D

Great News!!! Welcome back Jeff :) So happy to here that you are doing well. Looking forward to hearing about your fast and uneventful recovery.

Welcome home, Jeff

Welcome home, Jeff

Yes, take those naps..but do try to walk round the inside of your house a little each day....Like Ann said, take the pain meds before it's time..(like 30 minutes before)......drink lots of juice....Will it be 6 weeks before you see the surgeon/Cardio?.....I thought 3 weeks was the norm?I remember that my cardio told me I didn't need to take anymore of the meds I was sent home with...guess, he figured I didn't need them anymore..(normal discharge meds for me).............I'm sure everyone's meds may be different...but, I felt better after not taking them.....especially, the one that made me want to potty.:p ..Take care and let us know how you are doing when you feel up to posting again..Bonnie

Welcome home Jeff. There's no place like home and I'm sure each day will be an improvement. Be sure to walk around the house as much as possible in these first two weeks.

Jeff,

Welcome home! Glad to see you made it. The first week is the slowest. Rest, walk, breathe, do your arm exercises, then start the whole process over again.

I found sleeping elevated with 4 pillows making a ramp behind me to be the most comfortable.

Depending on your pain meds, watch out for constipation. It is a typical side affect.

Great to see you're home.

David

Welcome home Jeff! Walking, sleeping, eating and breathing are your only jobs for the next few weeks. Take it easy. Hope you brought your insentive spirometer home with you to keep up the lung exercises. You get to be King for the next few weeks. Take advantage - it won't last long!!:D

Welcome home, Jeff!

Keep it slow the first couple of weeks... but keep looking forward... I was surprised how rapidly I started improving during weeks 3-4.

Monday will be 5 weeks for, me and I'm walking 1.5 miles/day, even did a little dancing with my wife at a party last night!

'nuff said.

Enjoy!

Welcome home, dude! So glad you're over the mt. Just kick back and relax, your body will take care of the rest. (no pun intended) here's to an uneventful recovery! :D

davidfortune said:
Jeff,
Depending on your pain meds, watch out for constipation. It is a typical side affect.
David

Most certainly! Last thing you need to do is take another pill to cause the opposite effect. ;)

Welcome home, Jeff!

Good to know you are home ... and doing well. Good to see you post, too :).

Cort:33swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker
PICS:lego.HO.model.MCinfo.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"It's just a matter of time" ... TG Sheppard ... 'Somewhere Down The Line'

Welcome back Jeff!

In a short time you'll find yourself able to start cutting back on the pain pills, and then maybe switching to just Tylenol. Your first few times of "overdoing"
(we're all guilty of it :)), will leave you pretty sore, and VERY tired. Listen to what your body is telling you, and take a good nap when you hit that proverbial WALL.

Best wishes for a BORING recovery!

Welcome back, Jeff! Glad to read the good news! Stay close and keep us posted as you recover!

So glad to hear that you are home, and on the mend. May you continue to have an uneventful recovery!

Marybeth

Latest posts

Back