jackc experiences to date

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

jackc

Hi again..1 day home..huggin the pillow...and just chillin.
did an easy 500 metre walk today and hope to increase distance by 100m per day...time not a factor.

My surgery was pretty uneventful ....108 min on pump...
no valve required just bypasses.

ICU went exactly as everyone here said it would and pretty much textbook time.....opeation began at 8am...tube out at 4:15pm.
Spent two days in ICU and all tubes out in progression. The absolute worse from my opinion was the drainage hoses. Kinda burned coming out...mind you I was also more aware of my environment.

was quickly off morphine and on Tylenol 3...and then shipped to a Step Down Unit. In ICU there was 1 nurse per two patients ( she was stationed with all the tools and drugs necessary right between us for total shift ( replaced at breaks )Constantly chatted and offered any help needed and loads of positive motivation.

the step-down unit was similar with a few exceptions:
- 1 nurse / 4 patients..similar central location station.
- encouraged to get up and walk not just sit around.
- I was given a mobile heart monitor that fit in my bathrobe pocket
and told to go explore...just don't leave building!! ( a little heart humour)
- the set up in the ward is like a 100 metre track..marked every 25 meteres. there are chairs to sit down if you wish and a central nursing station that can see all walkers...great setup.

2 days in step down..all tubes out...lost monitor..lots of tests..blood etc..shipped to a private room in ward.
--here I had periodic discussions with nutritionists, rehab people,
a pyschologist and the usual physical parameters, including x-rays.

1 day in ward and surgeon comes in and says "great news" you can go home in a coupla weeks" My face told the story ,he laughed and said that was the final test to see if my heart could take it. ( more heart humour ).

I was out of there at 10.01 July 3..huggin' my pillow and looking toward the recovery phase. So far no depression...a coupla weepy moments. Thanks to a wonderful wife and family the future looks bright.

And thanks to you all for your support and encouragement. I love you all!

jackc ( Welland )

1 day in ward and surgeon comes in and says "great news" you can go home in a coupla weeks" My face told the story ,he laughed and said that was the final test to see if my heart could take it. ( more heart humour ).
Jack, I'd of went ballistic if he told me that. My last round in the hospital was followed by so many let downs to go home, that I was ready to sign myself out. One date would come and then I'd hear, "These are the issues we need to deal with" and more time was handed down. Sorry, I don't like their sense of humor. :)

Glad to hear all went well for you. I hope and pray it does for me too.

Take care of yourself and keep going with what your doing for the physical challenge.

Recovery at home

Recovery at home

Hi Jack, I am glad to read that you are home and doing well. I am 3 months post-op and can remember my first days at home...I enjoyed drinking glasses of cold fruit juices...Often..I had no pain..but was weak for a few days..I also started walking very soon..seemed to clean out the nasty stuff from surgery..You will have good days and bad days..Don't feel disappointed when you don't feel up to par..probably due to what meds you are taking...Keep us posted. Bonnie

Jack - Great to hear you are home and well. You sound like you made it through the experience and are enjoying the walking. Keep up your progress and good luck with further recovery.

Hi Jack-

Congratulations on having it all behind you. You've done really well with the post op phase.

Wishing you nothing but smooth sailing from now on.

retaliatory humor

retaliatory humor

Jack,
Glad you're on the road to recovery!

Some doc's humor is a little off the wall, and the only solution to your doc's "joke" is a retaliatory one on your part! The next time you see him, and he asks how you're doing, answer as follows:

"I have great news! My new cardiologist informs me that all the bypasses you did are failing, but my lawyer says I'm gonna be rich!" Then just tell him that's the final test of his bed-side manner:D

Hang in there, soon you'll be feeling better than ever!
Best,
--John

"I have great news! My new cardiologist informs me that all the bypasses you did are failing, but my lawyer says I'm gonna be rich!" Then just tell him that's the final test of his bed-side manner
That's it! I definately need you around Mr. Cochran. I can't think fast enough to come off with something like that. I've had a few Doctors that I'd love to outwit like you just suggested. :D

Latest posts

Back