I've crossed the line into severe and need to make a decision

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chuck - when it comes to the means of final closure, it may make a difference if you make your preference known before your surgery. When I discussed things up front with my surgeon, he indicated that their OR usually used staples for external closure. I asked about the "super-glue" and he said that he would use that if possible.

I guess he heard me clearly. I have about a 4-inch scar that is nearly invisible, even when I am sun-tanned. He even ran it on a slight angle so that I can wear a sport shirt with the top button or two open and the scar doesn't show.

I do, however, have stainless steel wire tied through my sternum. I've had no problems with it - even going through airport security. The pacemaker, on the other hand, always sets them off.

It pays to make your desires known. The worst thing they can do is not do what you wanted, but whatever they do, it will work.
I did ask the surgeon's nurse practitioner assistant about the closure method, Wires to close the sternum is standard, but it sounds like he uses glue when he can. I would much prefer that to the Fire Marshall Bill method:

That always did strike me as a strange saying,

https://transcendencetheatre.org/break-a-leg/

The most common theory refers to an actor breaking the “leg line” of the stage. In the early days of theater, this is where ensemble actors were queued to perform. If actors were not performing, they had to stay behind the “leg line,” which also meant they wouldn’t get paid.​

Chuck C, you’ll be an ol pro, giving us all the good tips & funny stories in just a few days
this sorta "old pro"?
1616316437136.png

Chuck
:ROFLMAO:

this sorta "old pro"?
View attachment 887639
Chuck
:ROFLMAO:
Well, that kind of story anyway. In the pre-op for my cath, there was a very loud and flamboyant trans individual in the stall across from me. She was there to get a procedure that an individual like that might sometimes get, if you know what I mean, which she seemed eager to share with everyone within ear shot. Don't worry Pellicle, I managed to get her number for you. 🤣

LOL ... here's one to see that and raise one

🤣

I better make sure to get the astrological sign of the surgeon so I can check his horoscope for tomorrow and make sure it is a good one :)

A client of mine is a Jewish Mystic. They are incredibly successful in their business. But, they are a challenge to work with because before signing any contract they need to check this special calendar to make sure it is a good day to sign. There are some days that are totally out for signing contracts, because something terrible happened in human history on that particular day- in some cases the event was 4 or 5,000 years ago. With thousands of years of recorded human history, as you can imagine there are a lot of days that are bad days to sign a contract. We sometimes had to wait weeks before a good day came up and I had to clear my calendar to make sure we got contract execution on that exact date.

Last edited:
in some cases the event was 4 or 5,000 years ago. With thousands of years of recorded human
You're a patient man Chuck. I'd have walked away early unless the money was good.

I'm not good at dealing with the mentally handicapped or those that choose to adopt one (mental handicap).

Thank you. I feel about as ready as I can be. Despite the fact that the discharge instructions for the angiogram said no exercise other than walking with no hills, apparently out of an abundance of caution that I might start bleeding from my catheter puncture wound :unsure:, I thought better of it and broke the rules and did some steep hills today, several HIIT stair sets along with some lunges. I am happy to report that I did not bleed to death :)
Nice that you ended your pre op strong !

Last edited:
Back