It's two years now

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wweir

Well in a few hours it is officially two years since I underwent open heart surgery on 15 August 2002 to replace my bi-cuspid aortic valve that developed severe stenosis requiring a St Jude mechanical. I am happy to report to you all that I am doing quite well.

As for general follow up, I undergo a complete physical every year with my family doctor. I have an echo conducted once a year with my cardiologist, have my INR checked every three months - steady at 2.9. I am participating in the South Beach Diet (Doctor approved) program, and exercising three times a week for at least an hour.

Coumadin has not been a problem for me at all, no bleeding or bruising and my valve is super quiet.

While I do not post much I do find myself being drawn to the site to see what Ross and my other valve friends are up to. I have never met so many people willing to help and care about complete strangers linked together by a physical condition.

For any new folks reading this I just want to tell you that the knowledge I received about what to expect before and after surgery and valve selection was just incredible. In addition the very positive mental support I received helped both my family and I deal positively with this life altering, but not always limiting, event.

For the old timers, thank you all very much. I will be celebrating my second birthday with some low carb food and thinking of you all and thanking the fantastic doctors who took care of me here in Lincoln Nebraska.

Walter

Congratulations Walter. I'd say I remember it well, but I was still in ICU when you had yours done. I still have nightmares about that whole ordeal. So happy yours didn't turn into disaster like mine did.

I'm happy to see you around even if you don't post. There are a few of you that sit in my mind all the time. I always wonder if some will come back.

Can ya hear me Mr. Cochran?

Take care of yourself and keep me posted on your life. ;)

Hi Walter

Well, CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I do remember it well, especially because Tyce had his aortic done the June before you had your valve done. I'm so glad you're doing so well---as are we.

Enjoy that anniversary, and please don't be a stranger. Regards to your family.

Evelyn

WWeir

WWeir

Time passes by so quickly. I bet that it feels just like yesterday that you were getting thins ready and getting the surgery over and comng home. Glad that you are doing so well, my anniversary in 09-13, three years. So keep up the good work and keep doing whatever you are doing to keep healthy. And keep in touch with us. I have been busy for some time. Take care.

Caroline
Aortic valve replacement
09-13-01
St. Jude's valve

Happy, Happy Anniversary Walter. I doesn't seem like 2 years ago. It's just so good to see your positive and inspiring post.

Hi Walter

Hi Walter

I just wished you a Happy Birthday a few days ago..and now, another birthday. :) :) :) What surprised me the most in your post. You only check your INR every 3 months. I home test and do one every 3-4 weeks. always the same too...Clinical nurse only wants me to call in once a month... I know, I don't bleed much but the risk of it going low without my knowing..and the risk of a stroke would be too much if I didn't test once a month. :eek: Do you feel comfortable only testing every 3 months....especially after going on a diet?...Bonnie

Bonnie,

Thanks and yes I am going to get it checked again next week. I know three months is a long time and was surprised when my primary physician had me wait that long.

I have been rock steady for so long is the only reason I can assume that he wanted me to wait. I did call him about my diet before I started and he said that it was a great idea.

After I see him I?ll let you know what happens.

Thanks for the advice

Walter

wweir said:
I will be celebrating my second birthday with some low carb food and thinking of you all and thanking the fantastic doctors who took care of me here in Lincoln Nebraska.

What?

No cake??? :p

Congratulations Walter! Very inspiring to me as my 1-year AVR anniversary is coming up - August 29th. It's fun having two birthdays every year now...

Anyway, I'm curious as to how your diet has kept your coumadin/INR levels so consistent. How many MGs do you average per day? I'm between 2.3 and 2.5 every test, however my cardio still has me testing every two weeks. My only bruising is from the needles in my arm :mad:

Also, I have not had an echo since my surgery. Should I expect one with my 1-year anniversary coming up? My cardio weaned me off the Toprol in early July and wants me to wear a 24-hour holter monitor next week to be sure I'm not experiencing any slight rhythm fluctuations. I feel great, however I felt pretty good, albiet tired, before I was diagnosed last year.

Latest posts

Back