It's back to the Hospital for You!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

mainframe

Last Saturday I awoke with a slight pain in my calf. I thought it was just a pulled muscle or general muscle soreness. On Sunday the pain got a bit worse. On Monday, it hadn't got any better, so my wife called my surgeon's patient care coordinator, who suggested taking a trip to the ER. Great I thought. Here goes a good part of the day. Little did I know.

I got to the ER and the Triage Nurse took my recent AVR history and ask why I was there. I told her about the calf pain. She took my blood pressure and pulse. My pulse was 156. "Well that gets you in back right now". The ER doc seemed most concerned about my pulse. The nurse put in a IV, which was the most painful I've ever had. OUCH. The ER doc first tried a low dose of adenosine, which she said would result in a warming sensation, followed my brief chest pain. Sounded great. :) That didn't work so they upped the dose. Still didn't work. They then put me esmolo (sp?) drip, thinking that would work. Time to check for pulmonary embolism. (Blood clots in my lungs).

Went to X-RAY to and had an MRI. Luckily no blood clots in the lungs. The cardiac folks finally showed up and thought I should be admitted. Overnight? They said I was in A-flutter. I remembered thinking that I would probably be inconvinced for a few hours in the ER. Oh what a fond memory that was turning out to be.

The cardiac folks finally had a room available in the CCU unit about 4 pm. I had showed up at the ER around 9 am, and hadn't eaten anything. Man was I getting hungry. I finally eat a muffin my wife bought at the gift store around 5:00. The first test was to see if I had clots in my legs. Bingo. I had 3 clots in my calf, although they said that the vessels where not blocked and were still circulating. That night, my heart rate was still up, so they tried a different IV, Diltiazem. That brought my heart rate down overnight while I slept, but in the morning when I woke, it went back up to 150-160. Also that morning, I had an echo done, the first since my AVR on 3/15. The good news was that my new valve was not leaking at all. YEAH. They also put me on a heparin drip.

The cardiac resident came in on Tuesday, (day 2) and told me that due to what was going on, I would probably have to stay in the hospital until at least Saturday (6 days) or Sunday (7 days). That was depressing. I reminded the resident that I had OHS two weeks earlier and they got me out of the hospital in 4 days.

On Wednesday, my heart rate stayed down in the 100-110 range for most of the day. I also got to get out of the CCU and get into a regular cardiac room. My heart rate converted into a sinus rhythm Wednesday night. The cardiac resident knew I wanted out of the hospital, and came by and talked about possibly letting me out if I was willing to give myself injections of Lovonox. That would allow my blood to be thinner while the Coumadin they were prescribing would get up to therapeutic levels. I said sure, anything to get out.

Finally I was released on Thursday, 4 days. They changed my prescription from taking Metoprolol to taking Diltiazem in pill form. I should probably have to take coumadin for a short period of time, 1 month or so.

It's just great to be home.

What caused it?

What caused it?

Well, as you might imagine, I read your post with great interest, being only a little more than a week away from that place myself :eek:

Am I correct that the A-flutter caused the clots that wound up in your leg?

Above all, glad to hear you're out and OK! :D

I wondered what was up when I hadn't seen you post anything in a while. You are one lucky person! I'm glad to hear everything seems to be all right now.

When you had the surgery, did they put in a Greenfield Filter?

I had one clot similiar to yours, that broke apart and a small piece found it's way to the vision center of my brain. Thank God there were no lasting effects. After that little episode, they put a Greenfield Filter in me.

You aren't going to throw off any more surprises are you? ;)

Hi Mainframe-

So glad you're home and that you had such responsive care in the hospital. As I've said many times before EVERYTHING means something to heart surgery patients.

Do they have any idea what caused the clots?

Take good care of yourself, and going to the ER sooner than later is always what we do with Joe. There's just too much going on inside his body to take any chances.

Holy cow! What a time that must have been!

Glad to hear you are feeling better. But, question....what is a Greenfield filter??

Best wishes.

Marybeth

http://www.greenfieldfilter.com/

The Greenfield® Vena Cava Filter is a small metal device designed to protect against a life threatening condition called pulmonary embolism. The filter is permanently implanted in a large vein, called the vena cava. As you can see, the filter has six legs that are joined together at the top forming a cone. It is this unique shape that allows the Greenfield® Filter to effectively protect against pulmonary embolism while allowing blood to flow through it.

If you have been diagnosed with deep vein thrombosis (DVT), a condition in which blood clots (thrombi) form in the veins of the leg, you may need a Greenfield® Vena Cava Filter. Veins are blood vessels that return blood to the heart. Any factor that promotes blood clotting can put an individual at risk for DVT. For example, prolonged immobility causes blood to pool in the veins of the legs, increasing the chance of clot formation. Likewise, an underlying medical condition, injury, certain diseases and some drugs may alter the body's normal blood clotting mechanism.

A potentially serious complication of DVT is pulmonary embolism. The process of pulmonary embolism begins when a clot in the leg suddenly dislodges. The clot, now called an embolus, travels through the veins and into the vena cava. This is the large central vein that returns blood to the heart. The heart pumps the blood (and the embolus) received from the vena cava into the pulmonary artery which carries it to the lungs. Because branches of the pulmonary artery are much smaller in diameter than the vena cava, the embolus can block the flow of blood to the lungs. Pulmonary embolism can be life threatening because the body's oxygen supply can be cut off.
In most cases, patients with DVT are given drugs called anticoagulants to prevent pulmonary embolism. These drugs slow down blood clotting. However, some patients cannot take these drugs because the risk of bleeding is too high or the drugs prove ineffective. These patients require alternate means of protection from pulmonary embolism.

Last edited:
Thanks

Thanks

Thanks for the good info...I had not know much of any of this. Always alert to heart health items. Good luck and I hope your "adventure" is over now.

Hi MAinframe,

Wow! That was quite a post! Good thing you didn't hesitate and went to the ER. Glad to hear they took good care of you. I agree with Nancy, it's better not to take any chances. I know I won't if I ever have any problems. I'm curious to know if they know what caused the clots also? Glad to hear your doing better. Take care and God Bless!

It is a very good thing you got care right away. Those clots can be a real danger. You keep close tabs and if you ever experience that sort of pain, check it out right away (am sure you will and don't need me to tell you but alas I am a mother and that's what mothers do - lol). Nice to see your face - so many are now adding avatars and we are able to put faces with names.

You take care now. God bless

hang in there Mainframe!!

hang in there Mainframe!!

Hey Mainframe,

Sorry to hear about the setback. Hope the recovery is back on track and thats the end to your problems. I guess the recovery part is tougher than the actual surgery. Take care now and take it easy...no rushing to the shop!!

Jack ( Welland )

Stay home!

Stay home!

Chris,

Sorry to read about your hospital stay last week. I hope the testing and the diagnosis enabled the MDs to resolve the problem once and for all.

I think you've had enough stress for a while. Here's hoping that the rest of your recovery goes smoothly. Keep us posted.

Ron K

hi chris!
wow! that sounds like some scary experience!! i'm glad it's all under control now and that you are on your way to a continued recovery. was it the a-flutter that caused the clot? will you be on anticoagulants for awhile now?
how about meds to keep you hr down?
please take it easy and just focus on getting well and stronger each day. would you please keep us posted as to how you are progressing?

ross,
thanks so much for that info. i had no idea they did that. did they put that in you after your surgery? did they have to go in again?

be well,
sylvia

WOW, what an adventure!

Is A-flutter the same as Atrial Fibrilation?

A-Fib is fairly common after heart surgery. I had a couple of episodes after CABG which resulted in a rapid heartbeat for a short period. My cardiologist ordered a Holter Monitor for 30? days to record future events. Naturally after the monitor arrived, there were no more events, fortunately.

Beta Blockers are typically given for A-fib. My initial dose made me pretty tired and 'slow'. Another cardiologist told me to cut my dose in half for two weeks, then in half again for another two weeks, and finally to stop. Shortly after I stopped, I had another A-fib event which
lasted about 20 minutes. I went back on the lowest dose and have had no more events.

'AL'

Latest posts

Back