It's a go! Anyone been to Emory in Atlanta?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blair

Met the cardio in person for the first time today. He confirmed the time has come for mitral valve replacement. So, I'm officially adding elective open heart surgery to my Bucket List. Really enjoying the irony in that right now.

Has anyone had experience with Emory Hospital in Atlanta, and specifically the surgeon Dr. Guyton? Cardio highly recommends both, but also says the Cleveland Clinic is the best in the country. Atlanta is a five hour drive. I would probably have to fly to Cleveland.

There have been some that have use Dr. Guyton and hopefully someone will post. In Atlanta we have some of the best hospitals and surgeons for open heart. You should interview at least two surgeons. When you interview have your list of questions ready. Emory University Hospital, Emory Midtown and Emory Saint Joseph’s hospital are all good hospitals. Piedmont Hospital and Northeast Georgia Medical Center in Gainesville are also very good. In 2010 Saint Josephs (most of all their surgeons were train at Emory) was at the top with Emory University and then in 2011 Saint Joseph’s was brought by Emory and lots of their top doctors moved to Piedmont Hospital and one of the top aorta surgeon went to Northeast Georgia Medical to head up their surgical department. I had my aorta replace in 2011 with Dr. Chen at Emory University Hospital. I had in the pass interview Dr. Alan Wolfe but at the time he had moved to head up the heart department in the Gainesville Hospital. It is not just the surgeons who does the surgery but the team that works together at the hospital that you need to consider.

Cleveland Clinic is number one and Mayo Clinic is number two. If you have other heart issue they are the ones to use. I wish I could find Dr. Alan Wolfe web page because it has lots of good infor on heart surgery.

Unfortunately, I didn't have the opportunity to shop around...lol. I live in the Atlanta area but was in Savannah on business when I had my dissection. EMT's took me to Memorial University Medical. My surgeon, DR Heidary, was called in to check me out and he wanted to send me to Emory but did not feel like I would survive the trip and delay so he did the surgery there that day. He and his small staff were wonderful and very professional and caring people and went out of their way to help my family. They were stone cold professional before and after the surgery. Dr Heidary and his entire staff as well as everyone at the hospital to include the Chief Medical Officer were very involved in my treatment, surgery and recovery. I have been amazed at how well they have all treated me. I think I was very fortunate to have been where I was that day and that God placed me in very capable hands.

I had surgery in November at St. Josephs which is now part of the Emory Healthcare system. I was in ICU for about a week and I was extremely pleased with the care I received. The nurses were all top quality as was the facility. My surgery was done by Dr. Chen and he had recently moved from the Emory Hosptial to St. Josephs. I am not aware if Dr. Guyton has also moved to St. Josephs.

I had my aortic root replacement at Emory in 2009. My surgeon was Dr. Chen as well, and I would highly recommend him. I've never met Dr. Guyton so I can't speak of him one way or another, but on the whole my experience with Emory was very positive. I wouldn't hesitate to go there over flying to Cleveland.

Latest posts

Back