It only hurts when I laugh!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Cool

I always heard that laughter was the best medicine, but no one warned me about after heart surgery. They went over coughing, and sneezing, but not laughing:eek: I use the pillow, but I am worried that I might hurt something. My wife (the nurse) says I won't. Should I give up watching comedies? What say you?

you won't mess anything up. It just feels like everything is going to fall out. Laughter is the best medicine, just smile instead til you aren't so sore. (if you can) It's the sneeze that I figured was going to kill me. Sure felt like it.

Laughing shouldn't do any damage. It's the out-of-the-blue sneeze that could. Use that pillow! The sternum is wired together and it should hold while it heals. But there have been cases of people popping wires and things moving around. Your heart will be fine - it's the sternum that has to heal and, like broken bones, it doesn't happen over night.

Best wishes.

Joe Cool said:
Should I give up watching comedies?

No!

Laughing will only hurt for a little while.

He he he. I remember the Friday night after my January 2003 surgery. Mom, Dad, my sis, her (then) boyfriend [now hubby], my aunt, and a couple cousins came to see me in the hospital. For a little while, we had the TV on ... we finally had to turn it off because I was laughing (and hurting) a bit too much ;).

Cort, "Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip", 32swm/pig valve/pacemaker
MC:family.IL.guide.future = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/
chdQB = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/quilt.html
"Nope, sorry, nothin'" ... Jo Dee Messina ... 'My Give A Damn's Busted'

Yeah, I remember laughing until I cried after my MVR. :D That's why God invented those little heart pillows for us. ;)

My mom had colon cancer surgery in late December 1977 at Baylor hospital in Dallas. She was in the hospital for 3 weeks. My boyfriend & I "babysat" my mom one Sunday during the football playoffs so she wouldn't bust a gut -- and all her stitches.

yep, never had a problem with Laughing....Avoid Sneezing at any and all Cost til at least the 6th week.....I never even had a problem with coughing...I was lucky, didn't have much congestion at all....But I did have a sneeze that really made me feel like I was drop kicked by a Mule! So, laugh away! As long as it doesn't make you sneeze....:D

good for the soul even if it hurts

good for the soul even if it hurts

At Cedars they have a comedy channel that they run 24/7. I guess a lot of the old donors have given them the rights to their old shows. THings like Gracie Allen, George Burns, etc. Well I made the mistake of watching the final show of the Carol Burnett show. It was all highlights of over the years and boy did I laugh and it hurts so bad, but in spite of the pain, It made me feel so good inside.

My second day home my brother called me and he told me a very funny story and as I was half laughing, half crying from the pain yelling, "stop stop, don't tell me any more." He just kept going and I think that is as close as I have come to ripping a wire or a stich or something like that. I asked him why are you doing this to me, he said "for the same reason I used to tickle you and give you pink bellies when we were little, because I can." Oh well all that to say yeah, it hurts, but isn't it really good for us to laugh and embrace the new lease on life that we have been given. Hold on to that pillow and laugh away.

yep, laughing and coughing didn't do me in.. it was that blasted sneeze that sneaks up on ya that had me swearing like a sailor (something I don't normally do)

Chris

Latest posts

Back