ISSUES with Statins

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hubby had debilitating muscle pain with pravastatin, which they put him on after the simvistatin started messing with his liver enzymes. Now he's on fish oil and we are seeing how that does on his cholesterol levels. If it's at least as good, we plan to request he stay on fish oil to avoid worrying about the side effects of statins.

Have been on these drugs for 20 years. Never any blood sugar problems but seems as I age my memory is getting worse. OUCH!! Changing to just lipitor in a month or so. Sure makes me feel good(not) when they start coming out with this stuff.

My husband had blood sugar,and muscle pain issues along with some strange serious allergic reactions he only has when he is taking statins. His cholesterol isn't overly high, so he is trying fish oil and chia seed. We will see what happens but the drugs aren't good for him!

If you are using fish oils, the lowest amount used in any studies I saw was 1,000 MG (1 gram) of Omega 3 fatty acids (not the oil - the Omega 3 in the oil). Check the amount in the capsule. Many large capsules only have 300 MG Omega 3 total, meaning you'd have to take four capsules a day to get over 1 gram (that's a lot of fish oil). Different brands carry different strengths of Omega 3 in the same capsule size. I would take enough oil to ensure I had over 1 gram minimum of Omega 3 fatty acids. You may want to consider oil from smaller fish than salmon, or look for oil from wild-caught salmon, as they have fewer pollutants in their oil than farmed salmon.

It's not as effective as Lipitor, but doesn't have the bad reactions that some people do with statins. it's contraindicated if the patient has CHF, though.

Using nut oils helps as well. Macadamia nut oil is even better than olive oil healthwise for sauteeing. Of course, all oils are high in calories, so moderation is the key.

Best wishes,

I couldn't take any statins and my cholestoral and triglicerides were off the chart. Finally my cardiologist tried Livalo (not a statin as far as I know) and within one month my numbers dramatically improved. Now 6 months later (with no side effects) my numbers are right in the middle of normal. My doctor is amazed at how well this stuff worked. I think it is rather new and I have special card from the manufacturer where I only pay half of what my copay would have been. It's still pricey, I pay $25 a month for it, but so worth it!

Interesting conversation..

I was put on statins after my surgery, with my surgeon suggesting there was scant evidence that they may prolong the valves. I asked my cardio about this, and was never answered directly about, having the discussion steered towards a family history of heart disease. I take 10mg of simvastatin, experience very minor muscle discomfort, and a somewhat elevated increase of fasting blood sugar, last tested at 104. My cholesterol level is 124. As far as memory is concerned, perhaps a slight loss of memory and drop in mental acuity, but nothing too drastic.

I think the medical industry as whole says the benefits outweigh the risk, or shall I say, loss, but will again press this issue with my cardio when I visit him again next month. When I do work out, (with weights), I am not bulking up as much as I did when I was younger. But I don't think this is attributed to the statins, but more to me just getting older. I am 52.

Looking forward to reading other readers thoughts and opinions.

After several major trials by statin manufacturers, there is absolutely no evidence that statins will extend the life of your natural valve or any replacement valve in any way. If that's the only reason you are takign stains, you really should rethink it.

Livalo is Pitavastatin, which is indeed a statin. However, one statin may bother you when another doesn't. The selling point of Pitavastatin is that when the body goes to get rid of it, it leaves by a different chemical carrier than most other drugs, and so doesn't compete with them for an exit path. This means that you have less chance of Livalo or other drugs building up in your system, waiting for the body to get rid of them. That means fewer drug overloads and thus fewer adverse drug interactions.

Lovaza is an Omega 3 prescription medicine which lowers triglycerides for most people. It's not claimed to reduce cholesterol, It has about the same effect as a whole lot of very concentrated fish oil (more than you would want to take).

Like fish oil, when taken in larger doses, it will make you more likely to bleed longer (and like aspirin, it may not show up in your INR). So if you're on warfarin, you should discuss fish oils with your doctor before starting a fish oil regime. If you are looking at Lovaza, your doctor will take the warfarin into account before prescribing.

Best wishes,

Livalo is a statin but it is new and was supposedly developed to avoid a lot of the problems the other ones had. It is great that it works for you. My husband still has some of the same problems. He didn't stay on it long enough to find out if he had all of the same problems. We were really hoping it would work, especially after working to get our insurance to pay for it!

I highly recommend Carlson fish oil, lemon flavor. It's the only fish oil I've ever had that didn't taste fishy. Honest! I take from 4-6000 IU a day. Red Yeast rice is another alternative, although it's a plant sterol (I think), which is what the statins are made from. My wife had been on statins for 15 years & just recently had to quit because of muscle soreness, fuzzy thinking, & fatigue.

Latest posts

Back