Is this even possible?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

Marge

I was under the impression that even if you had a tissue valve, or even a repair, you had to be on coumadin (or equivalent anti coagulant therapy) for some time after the surgery.

Yesterday I went into our vet's office to talk to one of the women who works there & who also runs a Rhodesian Ridgeback Rescue about volunteering in her group.

We got to talking -- the Rhodesian Ridgeback lady's father, she told me, has had mitral valve replacement in the last year or so. He is 80 and got a bovine pericardial valve & is in great shape. But here's the thing that surprised me -- he says he was never on coumadin post-op. He was on anti-coagulant therapy in the hospital and that was that. She called him on the phone while I was there so I could talk to him. He sounds perfectly coherent and he is sure he wasn't on coumadin once he was out of the hospital.

As for the dogs: some point I'd like to adopt or at least foster one of these wonderful big dogs -- not any time soon, obviously, they are BIG doggies, a female is easily 70 lbs, and males can run up to 90-100 -- I can just see me trying to walk one of them with a healing sternum. So it's very much something in the future.

With tissue valves,normally the only time you would be on anti-coagulation therapy is if you have an arrhythmia problem. i.e. A-fib.

I was on coumaden for two days during my a-fib post op and have not been on any script for that since.

Ben

I've never been on it either! I just take an aspirin a day.

As for the dogs, it would be a good idea to wait awhile. I had a hard enough time with my cocker spaniels!

Heather

I just received a tissue valve and I was on heparin shots for my 5 days in the hospital, but that was all. Now I am not on any medication what so ever, and I'm hoping I can keep it this way for quite a long time.

I have a homograft and have never had coumadin ... one of the main reasons I chose a biological valve.

Some folks are put on anti-coagulants post surgery (various types of surgery) if there is concern about or evidence of clotting in the extremities. Its usually temporary.

I had an aortic valve repair and was never on coumadin. I had heparin while in the hospital, but nothing once I came home.

Same here - I only went on Coumadin 2 days because of A-fib. I had a homograft.

I will be on coumadin for about 90 days post op (last day is March 4, but that is becuase of dacron tube they used to repair aortic anuerysm, not because of bovine tissue valve I received.
Steve

Bovine valve here. Coumadin for ~ 6 months. I did have A-fib, but was not aware that was a factor. daw

Maybe next time

Maybe next time

Bovine Percardial AVR / Dacron tube for aortic anuerysm was never put had Coumadin.

dogs

dogs

One of the passions my wife has is rescuing Borzois ! Our big male died two years ago in july. I have been around a lot of dogs in my life and have never seen anything like him. He was more loving, more trustworthy, more protective, more graceful then any other, including other Borzoi. Even though I love my dog now....he is not quite my Boris. I still love and miss him.

When my wife rescued him he was found on a six foot chain, to a tree. Ther was a ring of feces all around the tree. No food or water in 90 degree temps. He was so matted in his oun waist he couldn't lift his head. His chin was afixed to his chest. His tail could not be raised.

The first thing she did was cut the fur off from under his chin. He raised his head looked at her as if to say thank you and licked her hand. He wound up being shaved from head to tail. He hid behind the couch for several weeks. Only coming out for food and water.

The trasformation was amasing as his hair grew back in and he amerged from his shell.
He went from 84lbs to 114 lbs and was gorgious. Sorry if I got abit into sharing my story. It gotr longer then I met for it to get.
Med

Madge.. I had a AVR and triple Bypass and got a Porcine Valve (Oink Oink!) I never was on Coumadin or any blood thinner. I take a baby aspirn a day.
I also love Ridge Backs..they are great dogs.
We have a terrific Greyhound named Maxx (hence the screen name of Maxximom) that we rescued 5 years ago. He is 85 lbs. and very tall and big for the breed. He was wonderful after my surgery. He knew that Mom wasn't quite right..and was very careful when he jumped on the bed to snuggle with me.:) He has never pulled when walking so there was no problem with that. He is a certified Therapy dog as well.
Med..I also love Borzois, My friend has 2 as well as a Greyhound they are a hoot when they all are running together.
I have always like dogs.. I had 4 Afghans (heavy duty grooming) a Standard Poodle and 2 Weimaraners:D Gotta love them all!

Saw my surgeon again today.

I guess I misunderstood why I would have to be on coumadin even if I didn't have a mechanical valve. He says I'll be on coumadin for a month or two because he's still planning on doing a repair -- says I will need it at the outset for the Cosgrove ring.

;) (for the repair) :mad: (for the coumadin)

If the repair is a no go the back-up is going to be a bovine pericardial; no coumadin unless I go into A-fib or something. Which he doesn't think I will. I'm prepared to do the coumadin to get the repair, though.

I am really missing my dogs. For 20 years we had Dalmatians. I know some people think they are hyper, temperamental, difficult dogs but ours were lovely. The last one died this summer and then all this "heart" stuff started so we have not looked for another one yet. The daily walks that I do on my cardio's orders have been quite sad without a dog.

Latest posts

Back