Is surgery always a given?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been urging both my brothers to get themselves checked but with one thing and another they haven't gotten around to doing it.

This is important for several reasons. The odds of first degree relatives of BAV patients also having BAV is often indicated to be anywhere from 10% to 20%. Further, even if first degree relatives do not have BAV, they still may be at risk for enlarged aortas. Some studies have indicated that as many as 1/3 of otherwise healthy first degree relatives, with no heart issues, can have aortic dilation. Finally, should any first degree relatives have aorta issues, this would be evidence of genetic predispostion which should be monitored further, possibly including second degree relatives.

Now, overall the odds are still high that first degree relatives may be perfectly fine, it just makes good sense to do at least an initial screening with echo to be sure. None of my first degree relatives, including two children, have BAV. But we will be monitoring my children periodically over time (5 to 10 years) for aorta enlargement as they get older. The aorta disease guidelines now recommend screening, and several cardiologists we've asked have been in agreement on further monitoring over time.

I know what you're saying about brothers, though, it took mine about a year after my surgery to get around to it!

Thanks for the info - I'll mail it to them and try to hammer the point home. Ultimately, it has to be their decision, and, it must be said, they both have - shall we say - complicated lives (emotionally and otherwise) so health matters aren't really on their radar. They both have children so I will urge them to get some screening.

Latest posts

Back