Is it possible to travel internationally for six months of the year while on Warfarin?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pellicle,

What is the reasoning behind this suggestion? Where I bought my monitor from the CoagSense was the only option and so far I am happy with it.
I was a longtime supporter of Coag-Sense. I even believed that they were more accurate than CoaguChek XS and some labs.

When they ousted their President a few years ago, the company changed. I noticed that my INRs were usually higher than the CoaguChek XS and most labs, although others reported a close correlation with the labs. I didn't know if there was something about my blood that made the Coag-Sense report higher values than the XS. They used to be within about .3 or .4 of each other.

Support from CoagSense became non-existent.

You can get the XS (or a machine from Roche that uses the strips) in most, if not all, countries. The same thing goes with the strips. Even if you never leave the U.S., you're fine with the XS. For me, as long as my INR is 2.4 or above, I'm happy - even if the CoagSense is right (probably reporting a 3.4), I don't worry about it. My real fear is my INR dropping BELOW 2.0.

I still have Coag-Sense strips, but I'm not really motivated to use it for testing -- even if the new meter is smarter and cooler than the XS.

Oh - FWIW - I now have two XS meters - both used. My second meter apparently came from a clinic or lab. They removed the backs and the blue cover for sliding the strips. In theory, this may have made it impossible to test with them, but it was easy to make minor modifications to the strip guide to make it work.

Even the new, $30 meter works fine.

I'm a 57 year old male and will have my BAV replaced this week. I am still trying to decide whether or mechanical or biological valve will be best.

My wife and I are retired and travel at least half of the year, mostly internationally. I am concerned that a mechanical valve, daily warfarin, and being tethered to periodic INR testing will prevent me from this traveling lifestyle.

Has anyone here selected a mechanical valve and then been able to roam the planet without being stuck with frequent lab INR tests?

Your help is greatly appreciated.
At 57 I would definately go with mechanical. We travel a lot and I just bring my home testor with and plenty of testing supplies. It's easy to adjust your own warferin level once you start to get comfortable with the test readings. I am so normal that I just take 4mg per day don't test more than once or twice per month.

That's my concern.
I travel a lot overseas on my business. Doing it for 19 years since my AVR. I have a st Jude mechanical valve. My trips were international mostly from india to USA ( 18-20 hrs of flight). I never had problems. I keep my additional stock of anticoagulant in my travel bags. Since food varies a lot ( I am a vegetarian). I get my INR tested when I return some times.
I am vegan, live in Asia, travel a lot..I am afraid once I stray away from home (Bangkok) it will be difficult to manage INR as my diet may vary alot depending on availability of food

Warfarin is a controlled substance here in Thailand and I can only get it from the hospital who will do my surgery
I seriously doubt that (I know a member here who lives in Thailand) it is of course a prescription drug. I was able to obtain it in Finland when I went there for over a year.

will be difficult to manage INR as my diet may vary alot depending on availability of food
Almost every post here by members who have years of experience suggests otherwise.

Just take your Coaguchek with you and test weekly as you should normally do.

How the fck do you think diabetic patients survive with testing several times a day?

This has been said to you many times by many people. You blame your memory, but own and paper is centuries old technology for helping memory. So basically you just don't want to learn.

Warfarin is a controlled substance here in Thailand and I can only get it from the hospital who will do my surgery
Actually, that's not true. My surgery was at the Police hospital in Bangkok. I went to the local government hospitals in both Suphanburi and Pattaya and had no problem getting a warfarin script. Don't quote me, but you may also be able to get in Fascino drug stores now as well.

I just realised that you can probably get warfarin anywhere
1691824687008.png

My local hardware sells this double strength warfarin for just a few dollars per kg. If you combine this with self testing you should be able to quickly work out the number of pellets you need per day to keep INR in range.

Actually, that's not true. My surgery was at the Police hospital in Bangkok. I went to the local government hospitals in both Suphanburi and Pattaya and had no problem getting a warfarin script. Don't quote me, but you may also be able to get in Fascino drug stores now as well.
I went to a pharmacy last week, Southeast in Nana and they said Warfarin was not available in pharmacies and can only be had in hospitals. I was thinking of Army to save money but am steering towards Chula due to having the latest and greatest techniques and equipment, surgical oversight by professors, the CV of one of my cardiologists there, location and recommendation by 2 Thai natives that I trust, the new buildings and money I assume is flowing in here being part of Chula University/Sasin school of Business and a recommendation by a Cardiologist I saw at Army

I have a mechanical valve and self test. If a person does self testing, which is easy, I see no reason not to travel. I have a week long trip coming up and am not worried about it at all.

If you go mechanical, I would strongly recommend self testing. Even if you dont, it would seem that one could get tested at a lab you are traveling to in most areas and call in the results.
What if there are no good labs where you are going ? Call in to whom ? What if's it hard to reach the clinic/doctor between scheduled appts ? What if travel causes your vitamin K intake to vary a lot due to varying food availability in your place(s) of travel ?

I went to a pharmacy last week, Southeast in Nana and they said Warfarin was not available in pharmacies
seems very unlikely, given that Moddey actually gets it there. Maybe you asked a stupid way and they didn't know what you were talking about

What if travel causes your vitamin K intake to vary a lot due to varying food availability in your place(s) of travel ?
I just want to go on record here and say to you that while I'm sure that a mechanical valve is the best choice for someone your age, you should not choose one. I say this because you:
  1. lack the intellectual rigor needed to self test
  2. unable to take on responsibility
  3. lack the capacity to listen to what you are told
  4. are unable to learn new things
  5. have irrational views on what you can and can't cope with (like the) clicking
  6. are not adaptable
  7. not amenable to teaching how to self test and probably how to self manage
  8. you are unable to make a decision and stick with that decision

Accordingly you should pick any other option

I just want to go on record here and say to you that while I'm sure that a mechanical valve is the best choice for someone your age, you should not choose one. I say this because you:
  1. lack the intellectual rigor needed to self test
  2. unable to take on responsibility
  3. lack the capacity to listen to what you are told
  4. are unable to learn new things
  5. have irrational views on what you can and can't cope with (like the) clicking
  6. are not adaptable
  7. not amenable to teaching how to self test and probably how to self manage
  8. you are unable to make a decision and stick with that decision

Accordingly you should pick any other option
Hi Pellicle tell us the truth Newarrior is You just trying to keep us amused

If you guys want to continue and insult me
if you think my posts are insults that's your problem, however you'll find that the advice is perfectly in tune with you and your needs and your situation. I am actually trying to help you and your indecision.

You may recall you started with insulting language to a poster who was (like we all are) helping you

< What things are inaccurate genius?

not particularly nice, and you deleted it soon after (and added more rambling on stuff that has nothing to do with your valve or valve choice). I'm glad you changed your mind, but it showed a lot about you.

I stand by these words and would repeat them to you over a table and a coffee.
just want to go on record here and say to you that while I'm sure that a mechanical valve is the best choice for someone your age, you should not choose one. I say this because you:

you know this to be true in your heart

Last edited:
I'm asking real questions about real things. If you guys want to continue and insult me that's your deal.
wow ... that edit didn't take long...

Its funny that you respond to having your narcissistic bubble popped but don't actually engage in a meaningful way to actual useful information such as why you don't need clinics when you have a coaguechek OR that vitamin K is not a big deal

🤷‍♂️

Latest posts

Back