Is green tea high in vitamin K?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markp66

Hi all.

As some of you know I'm getting a mechanical valve put in sometime within the next few months. After doing some research on warfarin I constantly hear that drinking green tea is a bad idea as it contains high levels of vitamin k. I'm a big lover of green tea so I guess I'll just have to keep this consistent everyday. However, I can't believe that a cup of green tea can contain large amounts of vitamin K. Sure, the leaves may do but I find it hard to believe a cup, consisting of 95% water does. Anyone know anything about this?

From Dr. Andrew Weil's website:

It is true that dried green tea leaves have a very high concentration of vitamin K, but a cup of brewed green tea provides only a small amount, 0.03 mcg per 3.5 fluid ounces (roughly half a cup). In fact, research published in the Journal of the American Dietetic Association in 1995 showed that tea is not a significant dietary source of vitamin K and, as you know, green tea provides lots of other health benefits.

Besides, if it's a regular part of your diet, your coumadin dose will be adjusted for it to keep you in range. You don't even have to drink it every day, so long as you are more or less consistent. 2x per week, 5x per week, whatever your "usual" is. Don't sweat it.

Latest posts

Back