Introduction ( aortic root aneurysm )

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Zulu

For those of you who enjoy Bob and Tom, I'm a long time listener/first time caller. I had conflicting CT scans last winter and read many of the posts on these forums while I waited for my six month follow up MRA. My root has grown to 4.8 and no surgeon can give me a logical reason to wait. I've scheduled a valve sparing root replacement for this September.

Thank you to everyone who has been posting here, I've learned a great deal about the patient-side experience to compliment the doctors' clinical advice.

Dan

Welcome to the forum. Just a little over a year ago I had a (bicuspid) valve sparing procedure to address a root and ascending aortic aneurysm. It went well and I'm doing fine. Best wishes to you for your surgery and recovery.

I love car talk but it's hard to listen in the car because the wife hates tommys laugh. I have a similar deal, mildly leaking bicuspid aortic valve and a dilated root ( 4.9 cm ) and an ascending aneurysm of 4.8. My surgeon says I can wait but he'll do it now if I decide to get it over with. .The only reason for me to wait- besides a general fear- is to decide whether to repair the valve which is his preference or replace with a mechanical. If I was going to go the mechanical route the only reason to wait is obviously the longer you wait eventually they'll come up with a new improved valve . I don't want to wait too long as there's a risk even if relatively small and I have a physical job and I like to work on my house .I also have a 7 year old son I'd like to be able to do things with without worrying about it. I'm thinking I'll probably do it in the Fall so I'll have nice weather for all the walking I'll want to do after the operation. It gets real hot and humid around here in the summer.

I've been fortunate in many respects and try to focus on the positive. I have a tricuspid aortic valve without regurge, and aside from a few bad joints am a healthy 35 year old. Last fall one CT said my root was 3.8, another CT said 4.7, an MRA said 4.7, echos ranged from 4.1 to 4.7. This month I went to UCLA for a completely new MRA read by a fresh radiologist. It showed 4.8, so my root has enlarged between 1 and 10 cm depending on which earlier CT you believe.

Dr Shemin will be doing my aneurysm repair at UCLA. He has spent a lot of time with me answering my panoply of questions.

Hey Dan

For those of you who enjoy Bob and Tom, I'm a long time listener/first time caller.

google tells me its an American radio show ... Haven't lived in the USA so its nothing I knew about. :)

We have Roy and HG here
[ link ]

perhaps its a bit "ozzie" and some of the Jokes are culturally specific.

My root has grown to 4.8 and no surgeon can give me a logical reason to wait. I've scheduled a valve sparing root replacement for this September.

nothing to say on this other than best wishes for a good outcome and to say "you'll be right mate".

Well as long as were talking radio shows that have nothing to do with heart valves there's a good daily morning show here in Philadelphia on 93.3 wmmr called ' the Preston and Steve show' , they have podcasts also.

Back