Insanity Workout

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilteach3234

Hello to all my old friends,
It's been a while since I've been on the site, but I think of all of you often. I had my bi-cuspid aortic valve replaced in March 2009. I've been doing well. I have really struggled with weight for many years. After surgery I went from 220 lbs. to 180 lbs. This is not something I'm proud of, but am proud that I lost 40 pounds quicky. I began working with a trainer last summer and went from 180 to 159. I then had a father in law and husband diagnosed and who both passed away within months apart and have gaind frm 159 back to 175. Now that school is out, I am back with the personal trainer and I'm up to about 4 miles of walking several times a week and eating healthy. I am considering doing the Insanity Workout videos, because it will be easier for me to fit it into my schedule when I begin going back to school as a teacher next fall. I was wondering if anyone on here has tried this workout and if they have been successful with it. I am so ashamed of myself because I have failed on not being able to control my weight...basically gained what I lost. I just stopped caring after the death of my husband, but losing the weight and becoming healthy is so very important to me. It's something I think about at all times. I am trying to raise a child with intense disabilities, so it gets hard at times to take care of me. I'm just wondering if anyone has used this video series and wanted to get some feedback. I am with the trainer 3 times a week, but need something on the other days I'm not with him. I feel like a failure gaining this weight back. I went from a size 20 to a 12, but have moved back up a couple of sizes. I want to keep my heart valve healthy, as I feel I've been given a second chance. I just wanted some opinions and if anyone has used this series I wanted some feedback. My cardiologist doesn't keep me back from anyone. All my visits have been excellent and my cardiologist is extremely happy with my progress.
I hope all of you are doing exellent and are happy and healthy!
Trina

Hi, Trina,

First, I’m so very sorry to hear of your losses. When I read your story, I felt like crying, it just sounds like you really have had quite a number of stressful and very sad events happen fairly quickly.

About the weight loss, I don’t know anything about Insanity Workouts (I did just watch a YouTube video on it though) and this series looks pretty intense to me.

So this is only my opinion -- I understand your need and desire for losing the weight you’ve gained, but I’m personally not in favor of quick fixes (as I perceive this video series promoting). I’m also not against a hard work out, but I believe successful weight loss and total overall fitness is a process that does not happen overnight.

My warning bell about Insanity Workouts sounded when I heard one of the participants (who already looked like she was in shape) say: “I ordered it, tried it, and threw up on the first day.”

I think you’re doing a great job walking and working with your personal trainer so far. Just my opinion again, but I think sometimes a slower rate of weight loss tends to also stay off for a longer period of time. Maybe your personal trainer has some advice for some additional workouts they can recommend to you, since that person knows your ability level and your interests.

I also don't think that anyone who gains weight is a failure, (temporary set-back maybe, but not a failure) sometimes life just happens!!!!

Good luck with your efforts, I’ll be thinking of you.

Rachel

Hi.
I've done this program about 1.5 times and sporadically here and there. The workouts are great. They are very cardio intense. There is also a fair amount of push-up work in there. My only hesitation would be if I had knee issues. Otherwise it's pretty good. My rule of thumb is that I follow the workout video the best I can. If they do something really crazy, I try it at my own pace. I would try to buy a used copy as it has been out there for several years.
T

Insanity is great for weight loss. I have several friends that did it. They said its tough, and you get out of it, what you put in. Most people puke several times during initial week or so. Your body just rejects everything inside when you push it that hard. On the positive note, this program transforms most people in just short 3-6 month.

Like anything else getting in shape takes time. If you do not mind putting in an hour a day for speed walking and interval walking, you can achieve the same result in 1 year by eating healthy and speed/interval walking and even jogging.

Trina,
I have no idea on the merits of the work-out you mentioned, but what I want to say is that you are NOT a failure. You have suffered a serious loss in your life and you happen to find comfort in food as do many people. I after doing so many yo-yo things in life have finally determined that I will do as thegymguy recommends and just walk. I don't see positive result in puking (think of your esopagus (spelling?) and your stomach lining not to mention your heart and body. You are on a positive course with a trainer and I know you will find success, it is just gonna take a little bit of time.

Is it possible to do the same training in some form at home on the days you don't meet with your trainer? In any case I am pulling for you cause you are trying the very best you can. :)

Thanks everyone. I appreciate all the kind words. I am tough on myself and that is the first mistake I admit. I have a hard time looking at what I've accomplished and look at what I have failed at...type a personality...always been that way. My trainer is amazed because I can do things he never thought possible seeing someone 3 years out of heart surgery doing. He constantly teases me and accuses my surgeon of giving me a bionic heart. I'll keep up with what I'm doing and continue the walking. I know it will come off slowly and I'll eventually get there. The death of my father in law and husband in the same year to the very mean, pancreatic cancer, has been rough, but I know both of them would be behind me and encouraging me right now. As always, I love this site. I've missed everyone on here alot. I hope everyone is happy and healthy!

Latest posts

Back