INR testing with different medical insurance.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bocco

I have been insured with Kaiser Permanente since my AVR surgery. I love the way they handle INR testing. I stop in the lab at the clinic in the morning. Later that afternoon I can see my results on line. Then I get an email from my guy at the coumadin clinic telling me what to do. I have unlimited testing. Also recently they set me up with home testing.

Unfortunately, I will be switching jobs and Kaiser is not available so I will be under a more traditional medical plan.

My question is, how is testing and results handled in a more traditional health insurance plan? Does a cardiologist order the blood work and review the results? How do you find out your results?

Thanks

Gary

I have been on Kaiser as well and like the way the lab testing is set up. I can't answer your final question, but what I want to know is how you got Kaiser to let you do home testing? I tried to get them to let me do that, but I ended up having to buy a meter on Ebay and home test independently.

Yes, I have to second chaconne's question. I called Kaiser and they told me there was no way they would approve of or pay for home testing. Just how did you get them to cover it? Who did you talk to?

Hey bocco!!!! Not sure what you paid out of pocket to Keiser, however, have you considered self-testing at home. I pay less than $5 per strip and self-test weekly.

So here is what I love about Kaiser. I didn't pay a thing. But my current employer does have a good plan with them. I sent an email to my guy at the coumadin clinic. He said they do home testing but it takes a while to get on the program and that I needed to have my regular doc put in the request for me. It did take about 3 months and then I got an email from a lady that teaches the class asking if I wanted to attend. I thought it would be an orientation deal but when I got there they had an INRatio machine with my name on it. About 8 of us got a 1 hour class and off we went with our testers. I now test once a week and phone in my results. I do have to turn the tester back in if I leave Kaiser or stop using it. So I guess it's just a loan.

So I guess I would keep asking. My coumadin clinic is in Martinez, CA. The program may vary by region.

Vadim, I do plan to buy my own tester if I switch plans but I still need a doc to write the Rx. Also you do need an occasional blood draw just to make sure your tester is still calibrated. So I still need to hook up with the right doc for this.

Gary

I have the same insurance, but they just switched suppliers.

My supplier was Allere and they gave me the meter, training and supplies for no charge but charged for sending the doctor my results. My new supplier is Edgepark. They don't require the use of a service for sending my doctor the data, the meter is free, they charge each time I need supplies. I need to call my results in; that's fine with my clinic.

From my experience, I believe you won't know what is covered until you contact your insurance company.

For my machine, there is no requirement for comparison of the meter to a blood draw. The calibration is included on the strips you use. The only check done is when you get the meter, the trainer compares it to their meter and it must be within some set window (I forget what it is).

Gary,
You can buy your tester on ebay and buy strips on Ebay too. It was cheaper for me to go that way with out of pocket than via insurance.

I used my tester at the same time as several blood draws to compare the numbers. Was within .1 both times.

Gary,
You can buy your tester on ebay and buy strips on Ebay too. It was cheaper for me to go that way with out of pocket than via insurance.

I used my tester at the same time as several blood draws to compare the numbers. Was within .1 both times.

That's probably what I'll do. I do think I would be a little more comfortable buying directly from the manufacturer. But I haven't compared the cost.

The program may vary by region

Thanks for the info. I suspect the clinic at Los Angeles Medical Center just has a different policy. I have talked to them and they said I'm not eligible for the home testing program.

bocco said:
That's probably what I'll do. I do think I would be a little more comfortable buying directly from the manufacturer. But I haven't compared the cost.

Many of us have found Ebay meters and strips to work well. However, in my case I have lab draws to compare to.

Latest posts

Back