INR shot up !!!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We had a heavy, wet snow (3" in 6 hrs) this morning. A bus, a big truck and 3 cars rolled over on the interstate. It ended about noon. By 5 PM when I got home you could see dust blowing behind the cars on the interstate. At least the snow was absorbed by the dry ground. Now they are saying it should be warm & dry in Denver over the weekend.

What?s your weather man been smokin??

What?s your weather man been smokin??

Al,

I was in Fort Collins until Saturday afternoon. But, I can tell you first hand.... it was NOT "warm & dry" in Denver Saturday afternoon or Sunday morning! lol

Rain

I saw people wearing shorts!!

When it's springtime in the Rockies
And it's 99 below
The natives will run barefoot
So they can feel the snow

The TV showed a woman carrying her coat in a driving snowstorm. You never know when the weather will turn bad.

Right now it is 5 degrees and it has been snowing all day.

HI Faye,
I feel your pain. I have had so much trouble with my inr since my surgery last year. There has only been a couple times that it was where they have wanted since last 3/02. The insurance finallly gave in so I could get thee protime machine. It has been a life saving I just got of the hosp. for out patient surgery and ended up ther for 4 days because they could't get my pt in the right range. They gave shot in my stomach and I still have the large bruises form the three shot they gave me.
I was given a spinal block when I was there for my disk problem and they some how manged to mess up my scatic nerve in the process. The pain was unreal. I have been on prenisone and antiboics for a sinus infection and it iss all messed up again.
Yesterday it was 4.8 and today it was higher 5.9. They stopped the wayfarin Tues. Wed. Thur. I am suppose repeat the test on thur. and call their office. SO far this last month I fell on the ice and fracture my ankle and I knock a 4.5 pd jar of pasty on my head. So have been to the ER twice for x-ray & cat scans.
I went today and got a big order of greens that I never get to eat and it brought it down 1 pt.
But the good news I finally got the leg brace off today for and air cast. I knew antboic could mess you up but there has never been anything said about steriods. Does aanyon have input on this drug?
Thanks for any information.
Sherrin Hutt
Mitri Valve repair 5/99
Mitri Valve repalcement 3/02

Hi Sherrin,

Wow, you have had a lot going on. Hope you get to feeling better soon!

On the Prednisone..... it can cause your INR to change. Usally upwards. Also, when you are on a steroid they make changes to your dose...up, down, taper off. Your INR will go hand in hand with that adjustments. Requiring adjustments of it's own.

I don't agree with holding my Coumadin for 3 days. Pay close attention to your results when they test you next week. My guess as it will be lower than desired. You mentioned not being able to get regulated. I was in that boat for almost 2 years. Reason being my doctor would change my dose each and every time I went it in. Never gave me a chance to level off. I have been home testing for the last two years and have remained on the same dose give or take 1/2 mg.

Almost every time someone gets a cast, the INR goes up. My theory - you are less active, therefore your heart rate is slower, therefore the blood goes through the liver fewer times, therefore the warfarin is not metabolized as fast -- Viola! a higher INR.

Rather than a surprise, an INR in the 5 range is to be expected when someone gets a cast, particularly on the leg.

Hello Faye,

If I were in your place, I would look for a Coumadin Clinic to manage your Coumadin / INR. If none is available, look into home testing.

In the meantime, if ANYONE suggested holding a dose or two, I would tell them that I'm very concerned about making drastic changes in dosage and ask if cutting the dose in half for a day or two might be more prudent. The 10% weekly dose change to compensate for high or low INR seems to work well and is what the PRO's use. Remember, The watchword for Coumadin patients is CONSISTENCY.

'AL'

You guys are sooo great!! I held my dose off for two days trying to get ahold of the doctor and I will never do that again. Pretty scary that nothing happened to me. God is defently watching out for me.

Sherrin, I hope you get feeling better and maybe you should consider putting yourself in a bubble for a while untill your ankle gets healed up. Really stuff like that comes all at once, never can be spread out over a period of time.

Thanks again for all you comments, they are truelly appriciated.
FAYE

Thanks Faye & Ross
For your input. I've had a bad month. Besides my ER visits. Last week I back into one of our car in the driveway. Since I had a stroke last year before the surgery I have had trouble with my perferal vision is all messed up. Well today I went to volunteer at the hospital and I was ther maybe two hrs. I started sweating and my vision was blurred. So when down to where I did my Cardic rehab and they took my blood pressure and it was 180/110 It had been this high since before my surgery. Been 3 days without wayfarin and my inr was 2.4. They think I was having TIA"s with the blood pressure being so high. I had flash backs from last Jan. when I had my second stroke. They told me to go back to the dosage I was taking before the steriods. I take 6mg every other day 5mg. the rest. I have to recheck it in a week.
I want to thank everyone for the support. This web sight has been a gift to all who join in. It is like one big extented family.
Thanks Again
Sherrin Hutt
:D

Sherrin,

Please know you are in my thoughts and prayers. Sounds like you have been through a lot lately.

Hi Sherrin-

You've had more than your share of bad things happening. No more of that stuff. Only good things from now on, OK?

Wishing you the best

Thanks Rain & Nancy for you support.
After I saw my primary Phy. today. He wanted me to cut my wafarin in half. But I was told my my Cardic Phy. not to listen to him because he is not in control of my protime therapy. He got me in trouble once before when he gave me some a z-pak for an infection. He cut my wafarin in half and it drope to 1.5 in a 24 hr. period. So I am kinda between a rock and a hard place with two phy. telling what to do.
I let my primary phy. take care of everything except my protime. I wasn't not happy when his over was over seeing it. They waited some times 2-3 days before they would get back with me. I really think they have a problem talking to each other were I am concerned . The probably is I really like them both. My cardiologist stood by me last year for the 3 full weeks I was in the hospital. He did not sent anyone else from his office to see me. He even came to check on me on his day off. And on the other hand I have been seeing my primary Phy. since 1992 and we have been through alot. He has treated my whole family. Me both my daughter & husband and mother & father in law.
WIth your prayers I hope tomorrow will better.
n fact I know it will. I haven't come this far to give this easy.
The heart surgeon told me last year I was a tuff willed lady.
If I can make through two strokes and two open heart surgeon
God has better plans for me. I am not ready to ggive up my any means. I get a little low sometimes then I look at all the things I am blessed with. Great friends with big hearts.
Thanks everyone for all the support.
You all are thee greatest.
Thanks for everything. You aall angels rather you know it or not.

Hi Sherrin-

It's pretty difficult when you have various doctors with overlapping areas of responsibility working with you. I can relate to that. Joe has the same situations at times because he has so many serious conditions. His doctors know it is a difficult thing and they really do try not to tread on each others toes. It also puts the patient in a very delicate place because you don't want to offend those you have a close working relationship to. But if there is a real danger spot, like your Coumadin issue, it's good that you were alerted that it could be harmful.

I like to view the whole thing as a working team, and the patient and loved ones are also part of the team.

You are right to be tough. NEVER give up, NEVER give in.

Latest posts

Back