INR Home Test Machine Recommendations

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaryC

My brother takes coumadin and travels a lot with his job. I suggested he get a machine so he can do his own testing. I know a lot of you have machines you like. Can you tell me what you recommend and what price range he could expect. Also, he has Aetna insurance. Is there any chance of getting insurance to cover all or part of the cost for the machine?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

The insurance companies seem to look at two things - why someone is on coumadin and their access to a lab. If he has a mechanical valve, there is a great chance. If he is on coumadin for another reason, it might be tougher. However, the combination of being on coumadin and frequent traveling might work.

He should get the support of his cardio who must fill out paperwork on the reasons for a home monitor if going for insurance coverage. Have him emphasize the difficulty of getting to a lab for testing due to traveling and, if he will attest to it, the need for weekly testing.

If no insurance, the cost should be around $1500 from someplace like QAS (be sure and talk to them about not having insurance. I believe you can get monitors on ebay but not sure about manufacturer warranty or support. Test strips can be anywhere from $5 to $12 each, again depending on where they are purchased.

I am quoting INRatio pricing. Not sure about the Coagucheck XS. The two are very similar. I have the INRatio and love it.

Back