INR Crazy Post Surgery....

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kerri73

So before surgery I was taking 6mg pretty consistently with no issues - my INR was always in range (I have a mitral valve so they want me in the 3.0 area).

But since I've been home my INR is just crazy... I started with 6mg/day and my INR jumped to 4.2. They lowered it to 5.5/day and it went to 4.1. A week later at 4.5/5mg alternating and it jumped to 5! :eek:

I know I probably have all new blood with 16 units of blood transfused post surgery but sheesh, this is insane! And sadly, if a residual medication is still in my body that's affecting this, at some point it will probably go back to "normal" and we'll have to adjust it all over again.

Sorry, just had to share. :)
Kerri

Hi Kerri,

I think it will eventually stablize. Mine was all over the place for about two weeks. It finally settled down.

Karl

I'm guessing it's because your activity has decreased, so you aren't metabolizing the drug as fast as you were pre surgery. This is probably why hovering around your previous dose is keeping you above range.

Latest posts

Back