Innovative Technology for Treating Atrial Fibrillation

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmarshall

i'm not sure how long this has been around but i guess it is new in north texas. it caught my attention since the surgeon that did my avr is doing this new procedure. i did not experience any a-fib issues after surgery but it was explained to me younger patients have a lower occurance/probability rate than older patients having ohs. i forgot the age range but he did not see me having any problems. anyways...here is the link talking about the new procedure. http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=109&STORY=/www/story/11-28-2005/0004223201&EDATE=

This sounds very interesting as it is virtually non-invasive. I wonder if it can be performed on someone with an artificial valve.

PR news releases, tend to be just that!

PR news releases, tend to be just that!

As usual, with PR, they leave out the really important information. First of all, the success rate of the Cox-Maze procedure is no where near the 97 percent rate given in the article- the stats have been "massaged". Go to Jack Drum website for a more acurate discussion of "cure rates". McCarthy at NW has being doing HIFU for a couple years now with mixed results. If you have had open heart surgery, you are NOT A CANIDATE for this procedure according to what McCarthy's nurse told me. Scar tissue make it impossible.

I have seen a lot of PR releases and the all seem to be more about pumping up stock price, rather than imparting medical knowledge!:(

Latest posts

Back