I'm jumping in the pool! How's the water?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heather Anne: Hospitals are noisy places.. sleeping is difficult. I strongly recommend sound-deadening headphones. (25 bucks in the Sears hardware department) These are used primarily to protect one's hearing from loud machinery in an industrial setting. I use them to drownd out the sound of my lawn tractor when cutting the lawn. Place your earphones from your smart phone inside them and some nature sounds like waves or new age music and you can actually get some good sleep while in the hospital.:thumbup:

Heather Anne, I was (am) a jogger and asymptomatic when I found out I had a leaking aortic valve last June (replaced in August with a bovine valve). However, when I look back, I was having leg and foot cramps at night, fairly regularly. I did not associate that with the heart but they have gone away so I now believe it may have been caused by my circulation not being up to par.
I was most anxious a couple of days prior to the surgery but it ended up being a pretty routine event. I was home in 4 days, began walking a lot right away, increasing distance daily. Now, it is a hazy memory after only 8 months post op.
I agree with others about using the heart pillow or as one nurse told me, "pretend you do not have any arms". Learn to get out of bed, out of chairs, etc. without using your arms. That will protect your sternum and let it heal.
Best of luck!

I met my surgeon today, who is absolutely delightful despite bearing an unfortunate resemblance to Karl Rove (who, no matter your political persuasion, you have to agree is skeevy-looking). He was very reassuring about the procedure itself, but more importantly, told me I did NOT have to rush into the surgery as quickly as my cardiologist said (hello, ski girl -- second opinions FTW!). He told me I would definitely need the valve replaced within the year, and would be somewhat restricted in my activities while waiting, so I've decided to go ahead and have it done this summer so I can ski next winter and go hiking in Peru next spring. He thought that was a great plan, and told me to look at my calendar and get back to him with a date that works for me and my family. LOVE this guy!!

So, no surprise, I'm feeling much, much better. I was far more stressed about clearing my schedule for surgery in two weeks than I was about the surgery itself. My son's birthday, my daughter's play performance, my son's middle school graduation -- everything was going to get royally screwed. Now that I have regained control of the situation, I feel tons better.

Naturally, I'll still work myself up into a proper state about the surgery, but now I can give that my full attention in six weeks, rather than simultaneously worrying about how to get my son to his baseball tournament in Sacramento on Memorial Day weekend. All is good!

I'll be following the class of May 2013 closely, and wishing you a speedy recovery. Just think: by July, when I go under the knife, you'll be seasoned veterans full of sage advice!

I'm glad that you do not have to rush into surgery.

I am a 47 year old with a different defect than yours. I did great after my last OHS 3 years ago (it was my 4th). The docs could not believe I did so well. I had my pulmonary valve replaced again. I had surgery on thursday and was discharged on tuesday. i had to stay a day longer because I could not get of the oxygen. I walked 13,000 steps three days after I was discharged. It did take all day and it was mainly flat surfaces though. Pain was not bad. I moved around great. The biggest problem was the lifting restrictions of 5-10 pounds for 2 months.

Debbie

It's ok to be scared. Open heart surgery is a big deal. I am 57 and had my aortic valve replaced 10 weeks ago. My heart would not restart for 30 minutes. Never expected that as I jazzercized three days per week, walk 5 golden retrievers everyday, ride my bike, etc and was in great shape. I, too, was told to stop exercise other than short walks and then started feeling all kinds of symptoms. I also did not expect to be nauseous for 3 weeks post surgery.

I think it is good to plan as much as you can and then plan for the unexpected.

Just an update: I scheduled my surgery for August 5. That gives me ample time to plan and, since it will be my kids' summer break, my family will have nothing to do besides rub my feet and bring me chocolate sundaes whenever I snap my fingers. Really, it's working out well for everyone!

Hi Heather Anne,

Glad you have picked a time. Did all of my pre-op tests yesterday. AVR May 23, 2013. Will let you know how it all goes.
Take care of yourself and if you have any pre-op questions please feel free to ask.

Kim - in the waiting room.

Heather: Before going in, I never used the term open-heart surgery and neither did the doctors. Obviously it is that but my doctor called it Valve Replacement Surgery and that is the term I used. I found that to sound less dramatic when talking to family and friends. I think we all have our ways of getting through the process. Like you, I also had some time. My Doctor recommended last May that I would need surgery by this summer. Instead, I chose last September and it turned out to be a great decision.

I had a tissue Mitral valve installed in Oct 2009. Life has been awesome ever since.

Just to put the whole surgery thing into perspective for you, the absolute WORST thing for me about the whole process occurred in pre-op -- getting shaved down by a young, attractive "Shaver Girl." (I'm guessing that was her title.)

That was the worst! So, since you're presumably NOT covered in fur like I am... you have nothing to be concerned about!

Nope, not covered in fur! Although, if anyone's going to be shaving me down, I'm hoping for a young, attractive "Shaver Guy." A girl can dream, right?

Heather, my surgery date is May 23rd. Have to tell you this sight has helped me not to be so scared! Just ready to do it and get on with life! I personally, am getting an On-X valve. Good luck with all your pre and post surgery!

Kim, just curious, what pushed you in the direction of the ON-X? Your physician or just your own research into the various available heart valves? Will you take coumadin after your surgery? Will the opportunity to just get away with taking an aspirin for the ON-X valve be a possibility in the future?

Kim, just curious, what pushed you in the direction of the ON-X? Your physician or just your own research into the various available heart valves? Will you take coumadin after your surgery? Will the opportunity to just get away with taking an aspirin for the ON-X valve be a possibility in the future?

Hi Canon 4 me,

After extensive research, I discovered that the on-x valve is one of the best performing. It is made out of a different kind of medal (pyrolytic carbon) than the St. Jude's (my 2nd choice). The blood seems to glide over the opening better than on the St. Jude's therefore doing less damage to the blood. Yes, the possibility of just taking aspirin in the near future is also a reason for my choice of the on-x. In Europe, they are already just taking an aspirin or Plavix with the on-x valve. I believe there is only about a year or so to go on the trial. I will be taking Coumadin after my surgery but hopefully, not for long!

As everyone on this site advises, your choice of a valve is a personal one. Talk with your surgeon, educate yourself and make the selection that is best for you.

Kim

Back