If you are interested in Native American stories:

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dennis S

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
History is, to me, a fascinating subject in the southwest. For one thing, the temperate dry weather protects the physical portions of the historical record. Another thing of great interest to me is the oral history of the Native Americans. That oral history is fully known only to tribal members.

But, as levels of trust are built up, an Anglo can get an occasional, tantalizing look at a part of that history. A Jemez friend (not John Toya) recently said he knew there was something I would like to see, but I must agree not reveal it's location to anyone. I agreed. I asked, and it was OK to take a picture, if the picture gave no clue as to it's location.

This spot is so well hidden that I didn't have a clue what I would see until I got within 18 inches of a rock a little bigger than a Volkswagen. I am sorry that the picture is so vague. It is very dramatic in person. The things that shield it from view make it impossible to take a better picture.

I said it definitely appears to be some form of ancient map. Then I listened. "This is not Jemez", was the first thing he said. (I am proceeding on the statements/opinions of just one man, but I believe they are very credible). "This is from the time when the Spaniards first came through the Pueblos." (This would probably be pre "1600s" if I remember my history correctly.)

"Your people think it is a map to Spanish treasure, but I don't think so." (Hence one of the reasons for hiding it's location-anything suggesting ancient Spanish gold drives Anglos to do crazy things). "The Spainish people made slaves of the Indians as they came North from Mexico". "We also think it is a map-but we think it was a map made so their children, if they escaped the Spaniards, could find their way home."

It was quiet for a few moments, and it became clear that nothing more was going to be said-and it wasn't going to be appropriate to ask any questions, or make any comments. We turned away and silently began the hike back to the car.

Native American history is one of my favorite subjects. My great grandmother was Choctaw. My mother and I attended a pow wow a few years ago. One of thi most hypnotic,beautiful and fascinating things I have ever seen was the ceremonial dances that were done by the different tribes.

Lettitia

A map for the children?

A map for the children?

To find their way home?
Then I would say it is indeed a treasure map.

Thanks for sharing with us, Dennis.

Diana

Back