I want surgery...(gulp)

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I support your move forward. I pushed my evaluation along and am glad I did. You may end up with just better care rather than surgery, but I applaud your efforts to investigate your options NOW instead of later.

Keep us posted!

Well, I emailed Dr. Krause this morning and got a call from him on his cell within two hours. Unreal. Seems Tobagotwo has some pull!

He was willing to talk to me as long as I liked, I started feeling sorry for the guy taking so much time.

Long story short, seeing him TOMORROW.

Yikes!

Met with Dr. Krause today and will most likely use him to perform the surgery. What a fantastic conversation. We won't be doing a TEE and maybe not even a cath, pending approval by my cardiologist. We discussed a possible repair and are on the same page. He would repair the valve it were a 'chip shot', other wise a porcine valve.

My comfort level with him and my gut feeling about the hospital is very high. My last experience at NYU was bad and bottom line the repair did not hold. Not blaming the doctor or the hospital but I just can't see going back there...

Dr. Krasue said I could do pre admissions today and get the surgery next week...lol.. I declined as I was feeling a bit overwhelmed and was dry heaving this am, dreading even going there. This is happening really fast..

But I think I will be having the surgery before year end. Just have to take care of some business matters first..

Time to go buy lots of extra extra large tee shirts and zip up sweatshirts..Making a plan with my friends and family to help me out..

Never thought I would be doing this this quickly!

Sounds like you have a real plan in place. Im glad that your moving forward with this, instead of waiting. Keep us posted, and have positive thoughts.

Congratulations on making it over the first hurdle and finding a doctor you're comfortable with - that's harder than it should be. ;)

Best wishes for a speedy recovery once you get your ducks in a row!

My comfort level with him and my gut feeling about the hospital is very high. My last experience at NYU was bad and bottom line the repair did not hold. Not blaming the doctor or the hospital but I just can't see going back there...

Offwego, it's interesting that your impression of NYU was similar to mine. I also had my mitral valve repaired by Dr. Colvin in 2005. I had an echo done while I was still in the hospital which showed that the valve was severely leaking after surgery-- but I was not told about the results of that echo until 3 weeks later, when my cardio (also at NYU) got back from vacation and got his hands on my test results!

At that point, I was told that I would definitely need another surgery within the next 2 to 4 years. However, subsequent echos have showed that there is only a mild leak now, and I feel great, so the repair seems to be holding up so far (fingers crossed and knock on wood). I'm only 33, so I'm hoping I can squeeze a few more years out of this repair. Did the doctors ever give you an explanation for why your repair failed?

In any case, I wouldn't go back to NYU for another surgery-- partly because I no longer live in NYC, but also because I wasn't pleased with my experience there. Best of luck with your second surgery-- keep us updated.

Offwego,

Sorry you are having to go through surgery again. What type of repair did you have?

Offwego, it's interesting that your impression of NYU was similar to mine. I also had my mitral valve repaired by Dr. Colvin in 2005. I had an echo done while I was still in the hospital which showed that the valve was severely leaking after surgery-- but I was not told about the results of that echo until 3 weeks later, when my cardio (also at NYU) got back from vacation and got his hands on my test results!

At that point, I was told that I would definitely need another surgery within the next 2 to 4 years. However, subsequent echos have showed that there is only a mild leak now, and I feel great, so the repair seems to be holding up so far (fingers crossed and knock on wood). I'm only 33, so I'm hoping I can squeeze a few more years out of this repair. Did the doctors ever give you an explanation for why your repair failed?

In any case, I wouldn't go back to NYU for another surgery-- partly because I no longer live in NYC, but also because I wasn't pleased with my experience there. Best of luck with your second surgery-- keep us updated.

No one can tell why the repair didn't hold up. I was relived and amazed that I can get OHS without a TEE and possibly without a cath..The fewer tests the better, and if my cardiologist agrees with Dr. Krause about this, I'll be thrilled.

I increased on my own the Diovan from 160/25 HCT to 320/25 HCT three days ago. I did tell the cardiologist and am seeing him in a few days..I wonder if it's my imagination but I am feeling a little better..lol..most likely cause I am scared of surgery!

Dr. Galloway of NYU agreed about the problems with the nursing and other issues back a few years ago and he told me there have been massive changes with huge donations to overhaul and address these things..

But, I had a horrible experience there, a nightmarish reaction to the morphine in which less than 24 hours after OHS, I knocked out a nurse and threw a fire extinguisher threw a window after being chased around the hospital at 3am by 12 security guards and doctors..Not exaggerating this story at all..it was insane.

They let me out early, probably to get rid of me..They did not give me pain killers, it was the worst experience imaginable. I was hallucinating for days if not weeks from the morphine or the whole experience..

Dr. Krause simply said today, "why would you go back there if you had a bad result and a bad experience" and I have to agree with this.

Where ever I choose to have this surgery, it will not be NYU!

Latest posts

Back