I share the same fate, and now I know THE DAY!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

Paula (in Finland)

Thanks for your responses to my first post, you were all very engouraging. I love you all!

I had my cath and my coronay arteries were just OK. I did'n have any pain or felt sick aterwards. They did the cath on Tuesday Sep 10 at 13.30 and I was home already at 19.00. and I could have danced the very next day! Ups, that was the Sep 11, I don't ever dance on that day, that terrorist attack was so horrible! I were at work and all people from our floor and other floors as well were gathered in our dealing room, some had tears in they eyes and they all looked shocked ---- they were watching CBN News and I went there also and I coudn't believe it was really happening what I saw.........
Well I feel bad but must go back to the issue I was telling you about, after the cath they put some kind of plug called angio-seal to my groin and they didn't even need to press the vessel hole at all and I could walk already after 30 minutes. I don't have any haematons, just a very tiny and nice wound. The angio-seal is also self disappearing in 90 days. It contains some kind of a little anhcor which is inside the vessel and a collagen patch which seals the hole in the vessel from outside and those are under my skin so I can't see or feel them. First they tried to do the cath throug my wrist, but my vessels were too small and they coudn't hear the pulse. Once they tried to go to my LV through that small valve area, but they gave up because it was too narrow. I told them before the cath that I don't want them to do it, but then we agreed that they can try once, but if that don't work out they don't try again. (I had heard that it might cause arrhytmia).

I also met my surgeon on and I got very positive picture and I feel that I can trust my life to his hands. He told me that the operation will take totally 4 hours (2 hours in heart/lung machine). To me it didn't sound very long time... he must know what he is doing! My cardio told me also that some not so good surgeons need the same time to do simple oprations. I also found out that my surgeon has done the RP 30 times before (not only 10-15 as my cardio figured). And the reason why he has done only 30 was that there really has not been more young persons needing valve replacements. Then he comfort me that if/when I need the second operation some time in the future they probably could change the homograft though my vessels(?) and any open-heart surgery is not needed (if that hapens let say after 10 years or later).:D

Now I know that my surgery will be on December 17th. so I do have little bit more time to wait than I first thought, anyway I'm starting the COUNTDOWN now....!:eek:

Sorry, my English is not excellent (far from that to be honest), but I hope you have patience to read my writings.

Last edited:
Hi Paula(in Finland)

I'm so glad you have your surgery date. You're on the calendar so we can cheer you on. These months will do by fast.

By the way, your English is very good. Much better than my Finnish!! (I don't speak a word)

Congratulations Paula ! I'm glad to hear that you will be able to have the procedure of your choice and that you are comfortable with your surgeon. You communicate very well in English.

Best wishes,

'AL'

Paula - Sounds like you have really good confidence in your surgeon. That is a major plus! Congratulations on getting your date set. This is a big group that you have behind you. Don't hesitate to ask questions and don't worry about the English, your message is very clear.

Hey, Paula - I had that groin plug, too - much better than the other way. My brother had the other way where they put weights on the groin for a long time and he couldn't move.

You will have plenty of time from now til your surgery date to ask all the questions you want answers to. By the time December gets here, you will be very educated.

As to your English - sounds good to me!

Welcome to Vr - God bless

Hi Paula and welcome to a great site. Don't be shy and please ask any questions you might have. Someone or everyone will be more than happy to answer them. Don't worry about your English, it is absolutely fine.....wish some of my students could write that well!!!!!!!!

Again, welcome!!!

Evelyn (of Evelyn and Tyce who had an AVR 6/26/02)

Married to a Swede

Married to a Swede

Hi Paula, I am married (36 years this past Monday) to a Swede. My in-laws came from the Island Of Oland. My hubby stayed there for first 7 years..What wonderful Christmases we had during the 33 years before my wonderful mother-in-law passed..WHAT Smorgabordet's on Xmas Eve. I know you will be back home for it on Xmas Eve....Justremember to plan for an inside walking Mall?:confused: Do you have them in your hometown..a place to walk inside.:) :) Walking is very important for a good recovery..Bonnie

Hi Granbonny,
Yes, I know that I should walk after surgery, first start with short ones and then gradually make them longer and after that I can speed up. You are also right that our climate will be a problem, because in that time of winter the temperature normally is 10 - 20 degrees (Celcius) below zero, but it also might be something like 35 degrees (Celcius) below zero with hard wind, which makes it even worse. I live in seashore so here is always windy.

Yes we do have many warm shopping centers in Helsinki, but I do have only very small one in the neighborhood and still I have a problem how to get even there?

I guess we Finns do not eat exactly same dishes as Swedish do, but we do also eat a lot on Xmas. I do also speak Swedish and I know what "Smorgasbordet" means. It would be nice to be home already on Xmas Eve, but if my doctors wish that I should still spent the Xmas at the hospital I don't mind. They know what is best for me. The hospital is big building so I can walk along its long corridors and be inside and look lovely winter scenery from its windows. It is the highest building in the area, so I can see very far and hopefully that makes me peaceful.

Last edited:
hi paula!
i'm so glad you have your date, your surgeon and everything went smoothlywith the cath.
please keep in touch and we will be here to keep you company while you wait.
all the best, sylvia

Hi Paula,

You English is very good. Most Americans do not have a good ability to communicate in their native language and a very high percentage have NO knowledge of any second language!! One of our great faults, I think.

There might be some misunderstanding about temperatures. The U.S.A. has (for the same reasons we do not learn other languages) not been willing to go with the rest of the world(including England) to the METRIC SYSTEM. Our temperatures are in Fahrenheit here not Celsius .

A degree celsius is about 1.8 degrees Fahrenheit and the freezing point of water is 0 degrees C. and 32 degrees F. This makes us think of anything below zero as just terribly cold at minus 35 degrees Celcius the temperature is about minus 31 degrees Fahrenheit and should look about the same to our culture. but minus 10 degree Celcius is plus 14 degees Fahrenheit

So:
Celsius Fahrenheit
-35 = -31
-20 = -4
-18 = 0
-10 = +14
0 = +32
37 = +98.6 Normal human body temperature
40 = +104 a high body fever
100 = +212 boiling point of water

Just for comparison. Now that I have made myself look silly (maybe) What temperature system do you use in Finland?? I think the USA is pretty much alone in using the English system.

Anyway, I was concerned that there might be a lack of communication on that point.

Welcome to our site and know that our thoughts and prayer are with you as you face your BIG but lifesaving surgery. Mine was just 10 days ago and I feel great in recovery. Everyone here has made it so much easier for me and my family.

Good Luck,

Bill

Last edited:
My little table of temperature does not look as good after it is posted, hope the point is well taken.

Good Golly Bill

Good Golly Bill

I was so pumpheaded 10 days after my surgery, I could not even remember my telephone number...Speaking of weather, can you make the rain go away in Georgia. Enough, already:D :D Bonnie

Hi Bon,

While you were posting, I sent you email.

Sunshine is good, I am just not able to get if for you everyday, even though you bring it to me everyday.

What is a telephone number. Doesn't ring any bells. lol

B.

I am just amazed at how people these days come home from the hospital, sit right down and send us a post. I couldn't do that for such a right while -.......oh, I wasn't a member when I had my surgery!

Latest posts

Back