I need multiple valve replacement plus ablation

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PatWalker

I have been told I must have mitral valve and tricuspid valve repair plus the maze ablation for atrial fib. I have been cleared for robotic. Has anyone here had to have this type of surgery and wonder how long it took and how well you did. I'm very concerned to have all three procedures and the risks. Thankyou.

Last edited:
Pat, There are quite a few people on here who have had work done on more than one valve at a time and have been fine. I had my tricuspid valve replaced, an asd patched and a maze procedure done all at once. I think my surgery took around 7 hours or so (can't really remember) and I did fine. The most important thing is to make sure that you are using a surgeon who has a lot of experience fixing the things you need to have fixed. Also, by saying you have been cleared for Robotic, are you saying that it is going to be minimally invasive? Personally, if I were having that much done, I would want a full sternotomy so that the surgeon had full access to everything, but that's just me.

I know this is a very trying time. We are here to support you in anyway. Ask any questions you may have.

Best of luck to you,

Kimmie

I only had mitral valve replacement, so can't identify with all of your needs; however, you are in the right place and I'm sure there will be others around soon to give you more information.

One question about the maze - you may not have the answer, but you may have the same question. Is there a possibility that the valve repair will fix the afib without the maze, or is it standard to go ahead and do it while they are in there?

Lisa, I can't speak specifically to her problem, but I can tell you I had no issues whatsoever with Afib/flutter before surgery and had a maze because surgery on the tricuspid valve coupled with an enlarged right atrium almost always produces A-fib eventually so they recommend taking care of it while they are in there.

Kim

I had a mitral valve repair along with a left maze procedure and the closing up of a patent foramen ovale (like an atrial septal defect, but there is a thin membrane in the PFO). I had it by a sternotomy, not robotic surgery. All I can say is that I did very well afterwards.

My second OHS was about 8 hours and all went well. It took so long as my surgeon tried hard for mitral valve repair but after working on it for a long time knew it was not going to be a good repair and placed a tissue valve as we had agreed prior to surgery. I also had a hole in my heart repaired during that surgery. Lived my whole life without knowing it was there.
It isn't uncommon for several things to be worked on at the same time.
Some patients have bypasses done and there are definitely members who have had two valves done same surgery.

Best wishes to you.
Happy you have joined us but sorry for the reason.
We are happy to help in whatever ways possible.
Just ask.

Back