I need help using my protime

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharon

I need help using my protime. It is so frustrating that I?m ready to sell the damn thing. I?ve had it for at least 2 yrs (probably longer) and half the time I get an air bubble message. I?ve called QAS and they?ve tried to be helpful but it?s not working for me. I can?t seem to do the test using just one big drop of blood. I wind up using 2 drops. The first one goes into the center and the second one goes right on top of that. I?ve had trouble getting blood (cold hands) but I walk around with my winter coat, mittens and hood on for at least an hour before taking the test. I hold a cup of warm water in my hand and even tried swinging my arm around to try and get a good drop of blood. I do not get reimbursed by my insurance so it gets pretty costly. Does anyone do it on just one drop of blood - how?
Sharon
St Judes avr '97

Hi Sharon, I usually have trouble producing a good enough size drop of blood during the winter months. I wash my hands with warm water beforehand, which doens't really help very much. I've done pushups beforehand to get the blood circulating, which doesn't really help either. I wonder if first thing in the morning would have better results?

Hi Sharon, I had trouble getting the blood out of me at first - the lady who 'instructed' me told me where to prick and as it turns out it was to close to my finger nail and you don't do as well getting blood out that close to your fingernail. Then another lady showed me to prick it in the middle of the finger - and put my hands under warm water. So, I did this and it works better - but I still need more than ONE DROP to get my cup at the line. I use to get those bubbles but if you 'tap' it on the table just alittle my bubble would go away. I was testing myself all wrong for mos - before this new coumadin clinic lady showed me how to do it... She was shocked I had been working so hard to get blood out and I actually pricked myself long before I put the couvette in. I was also 'rubbing' my finger on the side to make sure every drop go in the cup. I guess your not suppose to let the skin rub the side of the cup... or least as little as possible - but let the blood just 'drop' in the cup.. I certainly need more than 3 or 4 drops to get enough blood and I know testing for me has been hard as I only have one or two tests and I know if I don't get it - I'll have to drive way up north.. My hubby helps me and as strong as I think I am my hands actually shake trying to get the darn test completed and when its over I'm so relieved. I think its mostly because I just don't have many tests left to try again.. I think the more tests I get the easier it will be - as if I fail one - I can just take another - until I get use to it.. I usually test myself every 10 days..

Sorry, I can't tell you how to do it on one drop of blood... I can't seem to - but I'd be curious how some do it... and I wonder is it necessary to be tested on one drop ???

See Ya
Marilyn (runner)

Lance wouldn't the capillary tubes be a better choice for these folks? At least this way, the sample will be gathered minus the air bubbles and allow a fair amount of blood to fill the cup.

For about the last 4 tests I've had the first test have an air bubble error. So irritating, since the supplies aren't cheap! I was told not to tap the cup to move an airbubble. But I'm tempted to try it since the other way doesn't seem to keep it from happening. I was also told to let the blood drop right into the cup and not let it run down the side. Okay, sure! It doesn't happen. :( My drops of blood aren't usually big enough to have the weight to drop into the cup. It takes 2, usually, to fill the cup.

I still prefer the home testing over going to the lab.

This thread is interesting to me since I just received my new tester. I got an INRatio tester and have my phone training scheduled for Sunday. When I spoke with the nurse inititally, she told me the best way to get a good drop of blood was to do the test standing up. Standing up puts your hands below your heart and helps the blood flow. I will let you know if it works.
I currently test for blood sugar so the lancet is no big deal. However, you need very little blood for the glucose monitor so I will have to learn how to get more out of the "hole".
What type of lancet devices does everyone use?
I have read so many things about the testers that I think if I have trouble with the blood drop, I will get some capillary tubes to use. It sounds like that is an easy way to get enough blood and also an easy way to get the blood into the test strip. Does anyone know how long the blood can be in the tube before being used (i.e. how quickly does it start coagulating)?
I am excited about the tester as it is small and thus very portable. Traveling is the main reason I wanted to home test so size is important.
I will let you know if I learn any tricks as a "newbie" tester.
Smiles, :)
Gina

Gina you'll be amazed at how little of a drop of blood you need for those test strips. It's much easier then what the Protime Unit folks have to go through. I have a hard time filling the cup for the Protime Unit where as it was simple as pie to come up with a drop of blood for the INRatio strips. The one thing I don't like about INRatio strips is the sample well. That darn drop of blood will hit that strip and go all around the well, but not in it, unless your deadly accurate. Figure no more then 2 minutes in the tube. The faster the better.

With the Protime Unit, it had Tenderlett devices for taking samples.

With INRatio, a simple autolancing device and used 30 gauge lancets for the punctures.

Re: Protime

Re: Protime

I also get bubble messages at times and it gets frustrating. Not long ago I had it 4 times in a row. Cold hands make for a problem during the winter so you need to warm them before hand. I always wash my hands under hot water for a little while to get the blood flowing. Then I shake my hand until I get the prompt to lance the finger. I lance my finger nearer the nail as in the middle (skin is thicker) I am having trouble squeezing the blood out at times.
When I re-order, I tell them about the error/bubble messages and me wasting cuvettes and they have always sent me extra with the next shipment. Last time they sent me a pack of 4. The squeaky wheel gets the oil, remember that.

Thanks, Ross, and I will keep everyone posted on any tricks I might learn.
Smiles, :)
Gina

protime help

protime help

Wow, it?s great to know that I?m not the only one having trouble. Although I would prefer if none of us had any problems.

Jim L, I?m not sure about the am tests ? I feel like I?d really spoil my day if the test goes bad.

Marilyn, I?m like you my hands start shaking and my heart starts beating so fast I think I could run a marathon with all that energy. I was told not to tap the bubbles out or rub my finger on the side of the cup.

Ross, what is a capillary tube used for?

Karlynn, I much prefer home testing to labs too.

Gina, I was told to stand up to take my test too. We get about 2 minutes to collect the blood. If you go past the time that the monitor tracks you have to start over with a new test and a different finger to stick.

Christina, I usually give up after 3 tries. When I?ve reordered I have told them about my problems and they have sent me some free supplies to make up for some of the ones I?ve messed up. They even had me send a batch back to the lab for further testing.

Originally I was told to try and stick myself on the side of my finger tip nearer to the nail, then I was told that because of cold hands I should try and stick myself a little closer to the center of the fingertip. As I sit here typing I am wearing my winter jacket with my hood on so that I will start to warm up so that I can try again later this evening. I do try the washing of the hands in warm water and circling my arms. The last nurse I spoke to said to try and get as much blood as I can before dropping it into the center of the cup.

Thanks one and all.

Sharon
St Judes avr '97

sharon said:
Ross, what is a capillary tube used for?

Sharon
St Judes avr '97

Sharon a capillary tube is a tiny hollow drawing straw that you use to collect your sample, then place it directly in the test stripe well. It will hold a far amount of blood, enough to get the test done anyhow. It makes things much easier for those of us who just get our blood drops disciplined to fall where we want them to. QAS has them now or at least I saw them on the order sheet.

Here is a short movie on them:
http://www.globescientific.com/Movies/movie_diamond.swf

http://www.globescientific.com/cpage27P.html

I was told by Mr.Visinich ( Lance's father) that capillary tubes would not deliver enough blood to activate the protime. I bought a Coaguchek and found that capillary tubes are perfect. They work with a tiny drop of blood thats delivered right on the spot.

My tip

My tip

I place the protime across from the kitchen sink. First, I turn on the hot water tap..Let it get hot, turn on the protime and while it is warming..2 minutes, I keep my hands under the hot water the entire 2 minutes...When it beeps, DRY very good my middle right hand finger, prick on the side, Not in the middle...and blood flows.. :eek: ..2 minutes is a long time for you to get just one drop of blood. Don't rush it...Just make sure it is flowing (blood)..I have more of a problem remembering that 5 sec. to remove from protime. :D ..Also, remember to prick your finger below your heart...Hand held down...Bonnie

Marty said:
I was told by Mr.Visinich ( Lance's father) that capillary tubes would not deliver enough blood to activate the protime. I bought a Coaguchek and found that capillary tubes are perfect. They work with a tiny drop of blood thats delivered right on the spot.
I was wondering about that myself Marty. Certainly they make capillary tubes with different volumes? I know what is used for Coaguchek and INRatio is so much less then trying to fill the cup on the Protime unit.

protime test

protime test

So last night I tried again. Did everyone's tricks. The first drop went in on the side instead of in the middle. The second drop went in okay but I knew it would show an air bubble error - soooo I gave it a small tap. Inserted it and got a reading of 2.9. Marilyn, I hope that the tap doesn't skew the test results - it did work. Ross, I did try the site. Couldn't get the video portion.

Sharon
St Judes avr '97

Hi Sharon,

I also used to get the "air bubble" error messages. I figured that a small amount of air must be getting caught at the bottom of the tenderlett funnel, and was sucked onto the Protime machine when I clipped it in.

Well, I started to tap the tenderlett on a flat surface after I provided my blood sample, prior to inserting it into the cuvette, until I got a small speck of blood to come out of it onto the table. I will then insert the tenderlett into to cuvette. I have been doing this now for over 3 years and have never had an "air bubble" error message since!

My Protime is accurate, and I have not had any problems using it, or traveling with it for almost 4 years.

Hope this helps some,

Rob

Warm water and tapping the cup are both good hints.

I've found that filling the cup with several small drops of blood can introduce air bubbles that even gentle tapping will not get rid of. That's when I get the air bubble error.

Here's my sure-fire method for getting a big drop:
? fill a 2-cup measuring cup with 1.5 cups of water
? nuke it for 1 minute 15 seconds
? immerse whole hand
? move hand around and wiggle fingers until the water no longer feels warm (usually about 30 seconds)
? dry hand carefully then proceed with test

And you don't have to wait for the drop to dislodge itself from your finger and hope it hits the cup

Here's my sure-fire method for getting that big drop into that tiny cup:
? touch the edge of the drop to the lip of the cup (use your other hand to steady your movements)
? the drop will "wick" right down into the cup
? be careful not to touch your finger to the cup -- just the blood drop.

Tap the cup gently before inserting it into the cuvette to make sure the blood has gone all the way down.

protime help

protime help

Thanks Rob for reaffirming the tap technique. I was cocerned because QAS never told me to try that and I wasn't sure if that method would make the results wrong. But I don't get the part about the blood on the table before putting the tenderlett into the cuvette.

Duchess Bear I wrote your water method down and will try it next week. My hands shake a bit because I'm so nervous that I don't think that I could do the one drop dangling on the lip. Glad to hear that you too use the tap technique.

Sharon
St Judes avr 4/97

Hi Sharon

Let me try to better explain my drop-in-the-cup method.

But first let me start at the beginning of the lancing/collecting procedure. I'm sure everyone has their own method, but this is what works for me.

I've found the whole thing easier if I have the Tenderlett device standing on the table, rather than holding it up in my hand.

Now suppose I'm going to lance a finger on my left hand. I position the Tenderlett so that the blade end is near the edge of the table (so my left hand has somewhere to go, as you will see in a minute). I grasp the Tenderlett between the fingers of my right hand and position my right thumb above the red trigger. Then I put the target finger of my left hand under the blade slot, and my left thumb on top of the Tenderlett, and squeeze so that the finger is firmly up against the Tenderlett. When I get up enough nerve, I push down on the trigger. By grasping the Tenderlett with both hands and pushing down against the table, I minimize any "knee-jerk" reactions and get a good cut.

Next, I turn the Tenderlett around so the cup end is facing me, and a little way back from the edge of the table. By now, the blood is coming out and I wipe away that first glob (per instructions in the manual). Then I put my right hand on the table in front of the cup, palm up, and grasp my left hand, with the bleeding finger between the right thumb and forefinger. If the warm water has done its work properly, there's already a big drop of blood almost ready to fall. By using my right hand and the table to steady my movements, I can easily touch the drop of blood to the edge of the cup. And away it goes!

I always have plenty of time left on the countdown -- I can usually cut-and-bleed in less than a minute.

Good Luck.

Hi Sharon,

Let me clarify. When I gently tap the tenderlette, filled with my blood, I tap it until a small speck of blood comes out of it from the bottom of the its' funnel.

I then clip it into the couvette for the testing.

Hope this helps,

Rob

Latest posts

Back