I need help in understanding my latest Echo

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ged1975

Hi all,

It's been a while since I've been on this website because it was easier for me to put my 'head in the sand' but I had an independent echocardiograph last month and received the results today.

I'm comparing the results to the echo before that which was last September 2008 and I haven't a clue what all the figures mean.

Can anyone help me with deciphering it? :)

Maybe if you told me what figures to post up such as ejection fraction of LV or LA size.

I will see my cardiologist in September but my curiousity can't wait until then.

Regards

Gerard

Hi all,

It's been a while since I've been on this website because it was easier for me to put my 'head in the sand' but I had an independent echocardiograph last month and received the results today.

I'm comparing the results to the echo before that which was last September 2008 and I haven't a clue what all the figures mean.

Can anyone help me with deciphering it? :)

Maybe if you told me what figures to post up such as ejection fraction of LV or LA size.

I will see my cardiologist in September but my curiousity can't wait until then.

Regards

Gerard

Why don't you copy and paste the results in a reply so the overall #'s can be viewed?

Why don't you copy and paste the results in a reply so the overall #'s can be viewed?

Hi Mary,

I have the results on paper and wasn't too sure which info to post up but I guess I can take a guess and type it in.

Here is the echo info

Echo July 2009 - Latest echo

LVIDd 5.1cm LVIDs 4.0cm
Mild to Moderate LVH
Estimated Jection fraction 60%. Sigmoid sertum.
Diastolic filling pattern is normal. E/A is 1, E/e is 6.3
LA size is normal at 2.7cm
Mitral valve - No SAM
Aortic valve is bicuspid - I knew that :)
Leafet tips are thcikened. No significant LVOT gradient. AOR is 3.0cm Pressure half time 343ms. Moderate to Severe AI. AVA by VTI 1.97cm2

Right heart has an RVSP of 35mmHg including RA pressure.

Echo September 2008
Dilated LV and LVIDd approx 6.5 cma nd LVEDV approx 200ml. Good LV systolic function.
LV ejection was calculated at 77.8% from m-mode & 68.3% by MOD.
Normal right ventricular size and systolic function, there is no evidence of right ventricular hypertrophy.
There appears to be fusion between the right and non coronary cusps.
Normal LA borderline RA enlargement.

Mild to moderate broad jet of AR present.
Peak gradient across the AV is approx 46mmHg.

I don't know much about aortic insufficiency since I had aortic stenosis, but it looks like the aortic insufficiency has increased. Having said that, the other numbers don't look too bad.

Yup, your aortic valve sounds a bit like mine, though I'm not bicuspid - spray pattern regurgitation, which has deteriorated to moderate/severe from mild over the last year or so.

I know my cardio is waiting for the first indicators of left ventrical hypertrophy before sending me for surgery, with the expectation that it will remodel to normal afterwards, if we get it at the start of expansion.

With the lv hypertrophy you might now or soon be a candidate for AVR, expecially with the worsening regurgitation/insufficiency. But I'm not a doctor, so don't take this as gospel.

This is why I love that my cardio has the echos done in his office, and I see him right after the test - no waiting for x weeks for interpretation.

Latest posts

Back