Hunting and Fishing

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

DWGray

Hi. This is my first forum submission. I have MVP and an AICD. This web site has been very helpful and informative. Sometime in the future I will need heart valve(s) replacement surgery. I enjoy hunting and fishing very much. I?ve read much about Coumadin and would like to know from other hunters or fisher-persons if you are still able to do these sports? If not, why? If you still are hunting or fishing, what life style modifications did you have to make? I look forward to any response.

Deaqr Dave,

I am not a hunter or fisherman, but I do take Coumadin. I see absolutely no reason why you could not continue those sports. The only thing my doctor stressed was to not play high impact sports (football, boxing) or take up motorcycle riding. The danger from high impact sports would be a concussion which is much more serious on Coumadin and of course bruising.

I also had MVP before my mechanical valve replacement.

Hi Dave and welcome aboard and to the family.

I used to hunt, but I can't cut the walking anymore due to lung problems and a hip replacement. Fishing I can still do, but don't cause all I catch are darn Bluegill. I don't care what bait, boat, or who I'm with, that is all I catch and it makes me mad. :mad:

You shouldn't have any troubles continuing your sportsman life, just so long as you don't get into a head butting contest with a Ram, Elk, Moose, Deer, etc.

Ross

It would also be bad form to hack your leg with an axe if you were two days on horseback from the nearest road.

The only concern that comes to my mind is that you 'may' experience bruising from the kickback from shooting. OTOH, I've been doing some construction / maintenance work around the house and have fallen against a door frame and hammered fingers on a few occassions with absolutely NO bruising (yes, I am on Coumadin).

'AL'

I've been doing some construction / maintenance work around the house and have fallen against a door frame and hammered fingers on a few occassions with absolutely NO bruising (yes, I am on Coumadin).
You are now to be known as Tim "The Tool Man" Taylor. :D

This is BIG huntin territory. Yesterday on TV I heard a warning to all hunters - please be careful while up in your 'perch'. There are many, many injuries every year from falling asleep, then falling out of your tree/perch. I knew a guy who did this and he injured his personals pretty badly. Now that could affect your INR, for sure.

BTW, welcome to the site - see what interesting info Ross can give you?

"please be careful while up in your 'perch'. There are many, many injuries every year from falling asleep, then falling out of your tree/perch."

On a recent trip to the ER, I learned that this is one of the most common reasons for going to the ER. It seems no one gets hurt climbing up into the tree, even carrying the gun and the ammunition and the beer, but the fall down, even with all the sedation, does seem to hurt.

Hi Dave,

My surgery was 2 1/2 years ago. I am an avid hunter and fisherman. In fact, I leave today for 12 days hunting in Maine. I have a mechanical heart valve, and take Coumadin, I hace not changed my activities in the least. I was in the woods hunting 6 months after surgery.

I did purchase a pair of Kevlar gloves for field dressing. I knife cannot cut through them. Wearing those gloves sure help prevent and accidental cuts from either the knife or bones that may have sharp edges.

Enjoy life!

Rob

Last edited:
Watch those Elk, Rob

Watch those Elk, Rob

You must be hunting for Elk, Rob..Be careful and don't run into one with your car, truck..Can do a lot of damage.. To the car, truck and you.:D :D :D I would think hunting would not be a problem in Calif..probably no deer stands like in the south....Brother owns a Hunting Lodge in Alabama..I would think to just wear long pants and shirts to keep from being scratched by limbs, ect. Will probably be safer than this Kitty that's running up and down my legs right now.:D :D :D P.S. I enjoy looking out my front door every morning and at dusk and watching the deer graze in my front yard ( I live on a Preserve in North Georgia) Don't know how anyone could shoot Bambi's Mama..:p :p :p Unless you plan to eat it....:p :p Welcome to our site and I don't think you will have any problems with Coumadin...Bonnie

I hunt and fish all the time with a mechanical valve. I also shoot skeet regularly. I've never run into any limitation or had any problems because of Coumadin or the the valve. In fact, I can't imagine more relaxing, and consequently healthy, activities for a heart patient.

Do you have ?Gray? relatives in Colorado?

Do you have ?Gray? relatives in Colorado?

Hey Dave,

I?m a "Gray" too. :)

Everybody in Colorado hunts and fishs. I live in the midst of hunting territory and I swear I have never heard of anyone falling out of a tree before? Wowzers! I?ve never even heard of anyone falling out of a tree while hunting? Hmmm.... Now falling off your horse or getting lost can be REAL problem. That's when you will hear Al's words echoing in your ear.... dontcha just love the way he ?cuts? right to the point? The long trek back has crossed my mind a couple times when I was way out in the boonies.

Rain

I swear I have never heard of anyone falling out of a tree before?
You need to meet my brother! He fell out of the stand while deer hunting and broke his ankle something awful. I still kid him about it. The fun part was, I was in ICU with one of my lung episodes when he came wheeling in a wheel chair. I asked him if he was trying to break or perfect my hospital attendance record. :D

Back