How soon can I fly after BAOV replacement?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Hey all. I'm thinking about taking my wife on a city break for her 30th birthday. My surgery will be at the end of October and her birthday is early January. Thinking about a trip to Copenhagen which is around a 2 hour flight from Dublin. I'm thinking about booking it as a surprise but is this a realistic option?

I'm sure this has already occurred to you, but you should definitely ask your surgeon and your cardiologist before going! They should have much more detailed and accurate answers for you than anyone on here could possibly hope to offer.

That being said, I think it might be possible you'll be good to go by then. But it all depends on whether you have any complications during or after surgery and if you have other health issues to take into account. It also depends on how much you're hoping to do once you get there, and how well you take care of yourself after surgery. Be sure to read all the pamphlets they're bound to give you, do your post-surgery exercises regularly (especially the breathing ones!), eat well, and try and get up and walking as soon as you can -- within reason, of course. The healthier you are, the more likely it is you'll be able to go adventuring in Copenhagen in January. :)

Also, good luck with your upcoming surgery!

I think its realistic if your surgery goes OK and your recovery is OK at the one month point. But sometimes recoveries take a lot longer than expected. If you could wait for a month after to book, just to see how your feeling for sure; that's what I'd do. I think the odds are good for you doing this, but there are still a good handful of cases that are still having trouble at 2 months after.

I flew 3 weeks to the day from Baltimore to Denver without any problem, so 2 months should hopefully give you plenty of time to recover.

Back