How many of you were smokers?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been struggling to stop. I've got 3.5 weeks till surgery. I usually go a day without, have a melt down smoke a pack, quit again, etc. I'm 27 and have smoked a pack a day for 13 years. Monday I'm going to get serious and lock myself in my bedroom and make everyone promise that is I ask for smokes not to give me any. I'm going to sleep most of the day via Valium and have my husband hide the keys to the car and anything that I can hurt someone with. I will only allow myself ciggarettes if I walk the two miles in the hot Florida summer to get them. I think I'd change my mind before I get more than 50 paces from my house. If that doesn't work and people don't get though with me I'll go stay at my moms shed kill me if she saw me smoking before surgery. I'd also make sure I'm stuck there so I can go sneak off for any. People that never smoked must think this is dramatic, but nope. I'm serious.

Michelle - talk to your doc about Chantix. Truly helpful!

I smoked for 40 years and quit when I heard I had to have surgery. Been over a month now and doing OK. Cardiologist said to both take Chantix and use a patch. Probably since neither had worked for me in the past. So far so good.

Unfortunately (fortunately) they saw a tiny growth on my lung when I had a CT to look at my aorta. That comes out 6 weeks after the AV replacement.

Last edited:
I had smoked from the age of thirteen till 36, when I was told of have to have bypass to replace aortic valve. Pretty much cold turkey did it, wth help from message boards. They helped a lot. I have been somber since 2001. Still get cravings, but it is mind over and matter, and the cost of a pack of cigs. that kills the craving.

I guess I am one of the few that have never smoked. As a matter of fact, I am 45 years old and have never even tried a cigarette. I can't stand the smell of them and feel like I can't breathe when I am around cigarette smoke. No offense intended to anyone. Just not my thing. No I do love a good margarita or sangria!

I quit 24 years ago. Smoked 1 1/2 - 2 packs a day for around 12 years. Went to a hypno-therapist and it actually helped alot. My last cigarette was hastily smoked in a phone booth while looking up the address of the hypno-therapist a block away minutes before my appointment.

I was a smoker as well.
I received a letter from my surgeon prior to my surgery stating I must quit 30 days prior to my surgery.
I looked at the calender the day I received the letter and guess what, it was exactly 30 days prior to my surgery. So I threw them in the trash.
It wasn't easy especially facing major surgery like that but I did it.
I have fallen off the wagon a few times when I was still working. Smoking to me was always a stress releiver and beleive me I was under a lot of pressure all day, every day.
But that's behind me now.
As a side note relative to Al Capshaws post about cataract surgery, guess what one of the main causes of cataracts is? That's right................SMOKING!!!!
Rich

Back