How long were you out of work(physically demanding work )?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Cool

The "How long were you out of work?" thread was very informative, but in the words of heavyshot
heavyshot said:
I am 51 years old and a letter carrier with the U. S. Postal Service. I went back after 6 months but couldn't do it. Delivering mail in single didgit weather carrying 35 lbs on my back for 8 hrs a day was just too much. Applied for disability retirement and am still waiting for an answer. You guys with desk jobs count your blessings.

I would like to hear about those with physically demanding jobs and how long they were out before they could go back. I know I won't be able to lift heavy things like I do now, but I will be on my feet all day and moving around (I work in receving at a grocery store). Anyone with that kind of experience?

I was a visiting nurse and had to help move patients. Not exactly like your job. I had already decided to stop after many years and move to a more sedentary nursing job. I needed 12 weeks before I was able to go back. Most of the guys on the site go back much sooner than that. You certainly will need clearance from your doc.

Hey Joe,
We are about the same age. I'll be 48 on the 14th.
I had a VERY physically demanding job(unloading /loading trucks at a trucking company)(actually I am still EMPLOYED there) and i used to work a lot of hours (45-55 per week)... at night...(start time 5pm) and there is no doubt in my mind that I could go back to work tomorrow with limited hours. However ,because they don't bug me about returning and I am getting a disability check ,I am using this time off to find something less physically demanding.
My cardiologist pretty much doesn't want me to go back to doing that kind of work. Its kinda hard for me to walk away from a job I've had for 8 years.The pay and benefits were adequate and i just became eligible for 18 days of PTO per year.Unfortunately I have to drive 23 miles in rush hour traffic to get there and I have begun to have negative thoughts about going back to work at night.
I've been offered a job as "receiving manager" at a company near my home.(3 miles away...9 to 5).
If I take that job I will be giving up the 18 days PTO and superior insurance( health ,life and disability).The pay is comparable but there will be many differences to deal with. It will be like a different world as I have been working for freight companies at night for for 25 years. I have to choose soon and weighing the pros and cons is driving me crazy.
Sorry.... I'm rambling....didn't mean to hijack the thread.
I guess what I'm trying to say is if you really love your physically demanding job, more than likely you will be able to return to it once the sternum is good and healed. Of course everyone is unique and recovers from this surgery differently and if you will be on warfarin you will have to be extra careful not to get cut.
If you are in pretty good physical shape before the surgery I believe it makes the recovery easier. I also believe a positive attitude and support network like we have found at VR.com is extremely helpful.I feel very fortunate to have felt as good as I have since surgery.
Best wishes.
Tim

Latest posts

Back