How do you know?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

debster913

It's not AFib, but PVCs?

Since school started again a couple weeks ago, I have been feeling strangeness in my chest that I attribute to AFib, but maybe it's not. Now, I only drink decaf and limit my sugar/chocolate intake, FYI. Usually, I can feel my PVCs though they are minimal now that I'd had an ablation for the PVCs and V-Tach in December '08.

However, my PVCs feel like my heart just skipped or added a beat, but the AFib feels like any/a combo of the following:
-- A motorcycle running really fast through my heart
--An off-balance washing machine
--An earthquake. I'm not kidding. Since I live in Southern California, I'm used to earthquakes; in fact, the other night I thought I felt one, but my hubster said it wasn't an earthquake and just the AFib instead.

Before I bother my cardio with my symptoms and he decides to throw another insurance-won't-approve-it-because-it's-"experimental"-event monitor on me, and my heart arrythmias decide to run and hide during the duration as normal...what does AFib feel like to you?

I should also let you know that my AFib (if it is) is really short, less than 10 seconds, and certainly not long enough to see my EP about another ablation.

I'm also taking Multaq and .125 mcg of digoxin. I'm pretty doped up. :tongue2:

Thanks in advance,
Debi (debster913)

Deb, maybe it's not a-fib, but "just" a tachycardia. I have (or should say had!) those short bursts of rapid heart beats as well, but because they were so short and always self-terminating, they aren't concerned about them. I went on Flecanide several weeks ago and I now have almost a perfect heart rhythm everyday!

So, I might mention them to your Dr. just to keep him in the loop, but they aren't something that I personally would be worried about at this point. Why in the world would your insurance consider an event monitor "experimental"? These things have been around for quite a while, I can't even remember the first time I had one it's been so long ago.

Kim

Deb, maybe it's not a-fib, but "just" a tachycardia. I have (or should say had!) those short bursts of rapid heart beats as well, but because they were so short and always self-terminating, they aren't concerned about them. I went on Flecanide several weeks ago and I now have almost a perfect heart rhythm everyday!

So, I might mention them to your Dr. just to keep him in the loop, but they aren't something that I personally would be worried about at this point. Why in the world would your insurance consider an event monitor "experimental"? These things have been around for quite a while, I can't even remember the first time I had one it's been so long ago.

Kim

Thanks, Kim! How are you?

Yeah, it could just be "sinus tachycardia," because I've had that, too...but my insurance won't cover event monitors. Don't ask me why, other than their position that it's "experimental" (their words) and not medically necessary. Thankfully one event monitor company charges a flat $200 fee to use the monitor for those whose insurance won't cover it. Usually my cardio likes to run tests a few times a year: ABI in January, echo in summer, and event monitor or Holter in the fall. That's how he found the AFib in the first place.

I should also mention that last night when I was lying in bed, my chest felt really tight and I had a hard time breathing. The hubster nearly took me to the hospital. I had a PFT in August and am still waiting on the results (I see Dr. V next week), so I don't know what, if any, respiratory issues I have going on. I do cough up stuff a couple times a day, though, and my lung function hasn't been the same since my surgery 5 years ago.

Hi, Deb-
Not to scare you but have they done the BNP test for CHF? Early on after surgery I tested in the 700s. I was hospitalized 10 days with uncontrollable afib at the time. I ended up having a lot of chest congestion during that time, but I think it was the CHF causing it. The CHF was caused by surgery and is all gone now that I've healed.

My afib is better with a magic cocktail of Metropolol, solatol, and cartia XT.

The afib never hurts (someone asked). Today it just feels like my heart is racing and almost like you are having a panic attack. I feel a flutter at the base of my neck. This seems to be triggered occassionally by exercise and dehydration. Resting makes it go away.

More often now a days I get an extra beat, especially when I lay down or lay on my left side. My understanding is that as long as the feelings resolve on their own, occassional extra beats/flutters are okay but you need to be on Coumadin.

I will have an ablation eventually. Just not right now. I'm trying to lose weight and optimize all of the other factors first. (I'm down 20 lbs since surgery!).

Good luck and hope you feel better.

Last edited:
Hi, Deb-
Not to scare you but have they done the BNP test for CHF? Early on after surgery I tested in the 700s. I was hospitalized 10 days with uncontrollable afib at the time. I ended up having a lot of chest congestion during that time, but I think it was the CHF causing it. The CHF was caused by surgery and is all gone now that I've healed.

My afib is better with a magic cocktail of Metropolol, solatol, and cartia XT.

The afib never hurts (someone asked). Today it just feels like my heart is racing and almost like you are having a panic attack. I feel a flutter at the base of my neck. This seems to be triggered occassionally by exercise and dehydration. Resting makes it go away.

More often now a days I get an extra beat, especially when I lay down or lay on my left side. My understanding is that as long as the feelings resolve on their own, occassional extra beats/flutters are okay but you need to be on Coumadin.

I will have an ablation eventually. Just not right now. I'm trying to lose weight and optimize all of the other factors first. (I'm down 20 lbs since surgery!).

Good luck and hope you feel better.

Thank you! Like you, I will need an ablation eventually, but the AFib isn't bad enough to warrant the radiation exposure. My cardio, EP, and I agree on this.

A while back, my BNP was a bit high, so I called my EP who said that the levels weren't high enough to worry about.

However, I sure don't like the tightness in my chest and the daily, short runs of arrhythmia. Yuck.

I will hopefully get more info from the doc next week!

Latest posts

Back