How about two separate procedures?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

blauer

Has anyone had both an BAV and an assending aorta aneurysm and had two separate surgeries? Could you insert a stent first. Then do a separate valve replacement? Perhaps the valve could be done with a minimally invasive procedure.
Thanks
Bill

Bill I had an AVR due to a BAV, and it was minimally invasive. Don't be fooled by that term because its still a significant procedure/recovery. I can't say anything regarding an Aneurysm but I gotta think that if they are going to open you up for either procedure your gonna want to have both done at once. You really don't want to go through two procedures if at all possible. And the recovery isn't a picnic either. You get through it but the "hit by a bus" analogy certainly holds true.

ctyguy thanks

ctyguy thanks

Thanks for the reply. Looks like I'm going to need whole deal. Bill

no surgeon yet

no surgeon yet

I am getting prepared to select a surgeon. I live in Denver and have a few suggestions. If you know someone in Denver please let me know. No valve selection either. Have an opinion?
Thanks.

I can't help you with surgeons in your area but others on this site are familiar with the Denver area and can give you some recommendations. In regards to valve selection that really is between you and your surgeon. If you go mechanical then I would say to do your homework. The St Jude and On-X valves are the two most popular models on the market. I went with On-X because my surgeon (who I have the utmost respect for) told me that if he needed a valve, On-X would be the one he wanted. There are other aspects that the On-X offers (improved flow dynamics and the leaflet design are what grabbed me). Also On-X has an on-going study where portions of the study group are getting a reduced dose of coumadin. The intent of the study is to see how the valve performs with lower doses of coumadin. Results aren't due until 2015 so don't let that sway you. Best bet is to find a surgeon you really like and talk through your options with him/her.

Bill,

Has your doctor confirmed that you will need an arterial graft and a valve replacement? If so, you may want to have them both done at the same time to minimize the trauma that surgery imposes on your body.

When I had my AVR, there was a question about whether or not my aorta was dilated and would need to be replaced The Xray and Echo can't really tell in some cases, it takes physical observation to be sure. Turns out, when Dr. Douthit got in there, he examined the aorta and decided that it would hold up without a graft No additional surgical procedure and the valve replacement proceeded without incident.

I know you are exploring all of your options. I thougth that a stent is used in Coronary Arteries to open them in hopes that bypass is not needed. I have never heard of stents used in connection with aortic aneurysm . . . but I could have missed that. The doctors decided to bypass two of my arteries while they were in there. Made sense to me, since bypass is supposed to be longer lasting than stents. . .

Since you asked again about a surgeon, I would suggest that if you haven't looked into these guys, you might want to consider them . . .

They both are smart, personable and will help you make the decisions that will guide your selection of procedures and valves to minimize the impact of your condition and let you get on with living your life.

Mark B. Douthit, M.D.

Dr. Douthit is a cardiothoracic (heart & lung) surgeon who has been practicing in Boulder since 1994. He is certified by the American Board of Surgery and the American Board of Thoracic Surgery.

Dr. Douthit earned his medical degree from Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas, in 1981. He completed residencies in general surgery and thoracic and cardiovascular surgery at Baylor. He was also awarded a fellowship in infectious disease at Ben Taub Hospital in Houston.

Dr. Douthit was in private practice as a cardiothoracic surgeon in Dallas, Texas, from 1989 to 1994. There he helped establish an emerging heart transplant program and participated in more than 20 heart transplants within a two-year period. He also established a successful heart surgery program at a private suburban hospital. He has taught video assisted thoracic surgery and given seminars throughout the US.

Dr. Douthit is a member of the American College of Surgeons, the Society of Thoracic Surgeons, the Michael E. Debakey International Society and the American College of Chest Physicians.

Thomas Matthew, M.D.

Dr. Matthew, a cardiothoracic (heart & lung) surgeon, grew up in New York City, where he attended the Bronx High School of Science. He earned his undergraduate degree in electrical engineering from Harvard University in Cambridge, Massachusetts. He received his medical degree from Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons in New York City. Dr. Matthew then earned a master’s degree in surgical research at the University of Virginia in Charlottesville.

He completed his internship, general surgery residency and thoracic-cardiovascular surgery residency at the University of Virginia Health Sciences Center. He served as chief resident during both residencies.

Dr. Matthew has been practicing in the Boulder area since 2003. Before that, he practiced in Louisville, Kentucky, for nine years. While in Louisville, Dr. Matthew served as president of the medical staff and medical director of the open heart unit at Audubon Hospital. He also served on the board of directors for Louisville’s American Heart Association and the Jewish Hospital Heart and Lung Institute.

Dr. Matthew is board certified in two subspecialties. He is certified by the American Board of Surgery and the American Board of Thoracic Surgery. He is an active member of numerous medical societies, including the Society of Thoracic Surgeons, the American College of Cardiology, the American College of Surgeons, the National Medical Association, the Association of Black Cardiologists and the American Medical Association.

In addition, Dr. Matthew has received many fellowships and awards, including a National Science Foundation Research Fellowship sponsored by The Ford Foundation.

Dr. Matthew is married to Dayna Matthew, a University of Colorado law professor, and has three children. His hobbies include amateur radio, computer science, tennis, running, biking, and rowing.

The other element aside from the surgeon, is the hospital and its support staff. I have attached a link to BCH as I think that it is one of the finest, and best staffed hospital cardiac units in the region. . . http://www.bch.org/cardiac-care/default-cardiac-care.aspx

Finally the St Jude mechanical that I had implanted is working just fine, I can't hear it, and the Coumadin has settled down for me. This is not nearly the PITA that I thought it might be.

Good luck. . .

Bill,

I had AVR, repair of a ascending aneurysm with a graft on 8-13. It wasn't till 8-29 that I was discharged. The length of my stay being due to various complications, click here and here if you want to read about it. As another member of the forum described it, the surgery I underwent was like being hit by a truck.

Less than 6 weeks post-op I was walking two miles a day. Now 10 weeks post op I have just a tiny bit of chest discomfert sometimes. My main complaint is carpal tunnel syndrome in my hand caused by the surgery. That is a possible side effect.

Having been down the road, I'd advise you to just get your chest cracked once. Get a top flight surgeon too. Good luck.

Bill

Bill, they don't have a stent available yet for the ascending aorta. It's too close to the valve and coronary ostium. Replacement of the aorta or waiting are the only two legit options right now. For the descending aorta, they're starting to be able to place stents through a catheter that relieve the pressure on the aneurysm and prevent rupture.

As far as doing the surgeries in phases, it's a valid approach if your valve is still good. Raissi and Deeb both do that if the valve still functions well. I'd be willing to bet many other surgeons do the same. My prospective surgeon emphasized that nothing is better than your native valve if it's functioning properly. If your gradient is too high, or your valve area too low, you might need a graft/valve combo replacement. There are manufacturers that make the valve with the graft pre-attached. On-x doesnt make a one piece unit so the surgeon has to sew the graft on to the valve on the fly during your operation.

I had an aneurysm that was ready to be operated on but my BAV was still good for a few more years. Through what I learnt here and with discussions with my Surgeon, another top Aussie surgeon and my Cardio It was decided to sacrifice my valve and get the Bentall's procedure therefore hopefully avoiding 1 extra surgery for the valve at a later date. For me this made sense as I am a mum with 3 teenage sons and didnt want my family to have to nurse me through this twice in 5-10 yrs.

Thanks for all the help

Thanks for all the help

I really want to thank you all for this information. You understand what I am facing. Please pass along any additional information.
Bill

Bill, they don't have a stent available yet for the ascending aorta. It's too close to the valve and coronary ostium.

Oh yes they do! See New Advancements forum. ;)

The magnitude of this surgery, you don't want to do it twice if you don't have too. One time around is enough for anyone.

Latest posts

Back